As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] New OP - Twice the Size, Half the Content

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    X-Com pack boughted.

I've had TftD for a while. I haven't played it since they first put it up on Steam as the first X-Com game on there. I haven't played it much since I got it. I'm still having difficulty sitting.

So this is awesome. I'm looking forward to engaging in a manageable level of butthurt, and then maybe one day I can be the sodomizer in TftD (who am I kidding).

Drake on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    OK, problem with the Steam version of X-Com: DOSBOX and everything runs fine, it runs at normal speed- but the mouse cursor is moving about 20 times as fast as it should. Is that adjustable in DOSBOX's config files anywhere?

Open the Dosbox-0.XX.conf file, and look for the sensitivity line. It should be visible at the top.

Illustrated behind the cut:
    # This is the configurationfile for DOSBox 0.73.
    # Lines starting with a # are commentlines.
    # They are used to (briefly) document the effect of each option.

[sdl]
    # fullscreen: Start dosbox directly in fullscreen.
    # fulldouble: Use double buffering in fullscreen.
    # fullresolution: What resolution to use for fullscreen: original or fixed size (e.g. 1024x768).
    # windowresolution: Scale the window to this size IF the output device supports hardware scaling.
    # output: What video system to use for output.
    # Possible values: surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb, ddraw.
    # autolock: Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen.
    # sensitivity: Mouse sensitivity.
    # waitonerror: Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.
    # priority: Priority levels for dosbox. Second entry behind the comma is for when dosbox is not focused/minimized. (pause is only valid for the second entry)
    # Possible values: lowest, lower, normal, higher, highest, pause.
    # mapperfile: File used to load/save the key/event mappings from.
    # usescancodes: Avoid usage of symkeys, might not work on all operating systems.

fullscreen=false
    fulldouble=false
    fullresolution=original
    windowresolution=original
    output=ddraw
    autolock=true
    sensitivity=100
    waitonerror=true
    priority=higher,normal
    mapperfile=mapper.txt
    usescancodes=true

Thanks much. :)

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    So, Toki Tori, anyone played it? Any good?

Anyone? Ah well, guess I might have to go in blind then.

subedii on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I just played through my first X-Com: UFO Defense mission. I only lost two soldiers. All aliens are dead and all that stuff. That was pretty awesome.

Highlights include: A soldier who threw his gun at the first alien he spotted (this was me, thinking the throw command would have him throw a grenade, not whatever he has in his hand.) and using a rocket launcher to blow the stairs out from under an alien hiding at the top of them, and then having the dudes I had on the ground floor pump him full of good old terrestrial lead.

So first mission completed, with only two casualties and full recovery of the UFO and its stuff. Awesome.

Drake on
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Awww fuck I just failed a terror mission against Floaters. I was doing great, 3 of of the bastards dead with no casualties, and then one of them threw a grenade and killed FOUR of my people at once, including my brother-and-sister heavy weapons people!

I'm starting over, this time it's (another) war!

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, just wait until you newbies start doing terror missions. Those will be so fun. God, Chrysalids. If ever there was a more fucked up enemy in a video game...those motherfuckers...collateral damage be damned. EVERYTHING gets turned on for a Chrysalid.

Night missions in X-COM are still creepy as shit. I always liked the 1 second of alien you would see, moving around in the darkness at the perimeter. You know that fucker's out there, waiting to pull off a snap shot as soon as you move into position...

As many times as I've gotten to the last mission, I've never beaten X-COM.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It was originally a Gameboy Colour game. It got remade for Wiiware, and this is the new PC version.

Not actually played it myself, but am thinking of getting it too.

Eurogamer review of the GBC version.

Also, from the comments of my post on it on SavyGamer:
    hydra9 wrote:
    I’m playing this at the moment and really enjoying it. A very well made game with hints of ‘Adventures Of Lolo and Lemmings.

LewieP on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sajem wrote: »
    I picked up the X-Com pack, and I'm trying out UFO Defense for the first time. It's really interesting.

Very, very few games ever actually make you feel vulnerable. The videogame convention when it comes to alien invasion is to have a super soldier mow down thousands of the little fellas over the course of a day or two. But in X-Com, the aliens didn't travel across the universe just to have their asses handed to them by a bunch of primates. The aliens brought their own super soldiers this time, and they're ready to throw down. So now our noble human heroes can die just as quickly and with as little ceremony as the countless aliens that have fallen in other games.

I think it's a bit unsettling for gamers when "low-level" enemies actually pose a threat--in this case, when alien grunts are as effective as the player's human grunts. But while it can be frustrating, it also makes the larger conflict much more engaging. Seven well-trained soldiers just got wiped out on a mission gone terribly wrong? Yeah, well, fucking aliens have invaded the planet, shit's gonna get crazy. Start planning for the next mission; we've got work to do.

I actually felt fear when the fuckers invaded my base. My first reaction was "wtf, they can do that?" and then I quickly realised that this could end very badly for me, if I wasn't clever and lucky.

Edit: Good grief, Mass Effect 2 is good. I love everything about it so far, the story, the dialogue, the characters, etc. Dragon Age was really good, but this pees all over it.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, just wait until you newbies start doing terror missions. Those will be so fun. God, Chrysalids. If ever there was a more fucked up enemy in a video game...those motherfuckers...collateral damage be damned. EVERYTHING gets turned on for a Chrysalid.

Night missions in X-COM are still creepy as shit. I always liked the 1 second of alien you would see, moving around in the darkness at the perimeter. You know that fucker's out there, waiting to pull off a snap shot as soon as you move into position...

As many times as I've gotten to the last mission, I've never beaten X-COM.

My favorite way to do that missions is have at least two dudes loaded up with Blasters plus all the ammo they can carry. After blasting a couple of tough spots to hell without ever moving from the safety of the lifts, I always enjoy clearing out the entire base except for the last target, scouting out the target, and launching a blaster round on an elaborate course throughout the entire base and culminating in a massive explosion which wins the game for me. Helps make up for those occasions when I drop down for a night mission and a grenade zooms out of the darkness to condemn my crack team into a downward spiral of insanity, cowardice, and mortal wounds.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    15 days after the invasion of earth. Had my first encounter with an enemy UFO. Second one spotted over my territory.

Things went fairly well, but I see places that I could use improvements. For starters,I should learn how to shoot back at the aliens. Lost the whole squad of ~10 because they were just standing next to the aliens like idiots. Pulled out after the first few died, so nobody will be able to report the tragedy that went down.

Sanders on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    X-Com tips off the top of my head after not playing for awhile

Explosives are your friend (and enemy)
    Research laser weaponry medkits and armor asap
    Save enough for a crouching snapshot at the end of turns (always crouch everyone before ending a turn!)

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think I've got the hang of Tropico now. It's a pretty fun game.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sanders wrote: »
    15 days after the invasion of earth. Had my first encounter with an enemy UFO. Second one spotted over my territory.

Things went fairly well, but I see places that I could use improvements. For starters,I should learn how to shoot back at the aliens. Lost the whole squad of ~10 because they were just standing next to the aliens like idiots. Pulled out after the first few died, so nobody will be able to report the tragedy that went down.

Sounds like your guys didn't have enough action points left to do anything, then? If you spend all their points in a round, they can't shoot at the aliens. They just stand there holding their dicks and then they die.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Clicking the shoot button should really help

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I bought Psychonauts this week. I just finished
    The Milkman Conspiracy.

This game is fucking hilarious. And awesome.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Milkman Conspiracy.

Totally one of the best segments in any game ever.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The Milkman Conspiracy.

Not going to spoil anything but that level is an interesting turning point in the game where the difficulty jumps up but the story and the general enjoyment of the game takes a step back for a while. Though I found the next three "minds" to be the weakest of all, especially the very next one. Thankfully those aspects return after that section.

X-Com: I've yet to figure out what the shoot button is. I assume it is one of the three squares in the bottom that look like lines followed by a person and dots to represent bullets, but no idea how they work. I'll look at the manual soon enough.

Mirror's Edge: finished it today. Steam clocked me in at 5 hours. Figure in the time spent doing the tutorial again, sitting there on the screen while I fixed lunch and the 60 deaths at the same damn spot in the very first mission where you have to grab a pipe less than a minute into the map, may have lasted a whole 4 hours max. Would have been severely pissed if I paid $50 or even $60 for it. Interesting game but I didn't really enjoy it, all the fun had from the outside levels jumping building to building was ruined by all the instances where I was forced to fight or time spent crawling in air ducts.

Sanders on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I think I've got the hang of Tropico now. It's a pretty fun game.

It is. I was surprised that Tropico 3 was such a retread of Tropico (plus Mucho Macho), but since this retread also happened to address like 90% of my issues with the original I guess that's cool. But I swear the only significant addition to the new game (other than graphics and related improvements) were real streets/cars. Other than that, you might as well be playing Tropico.

But that's cool, because I loved Tropico.

I just failed miserably in my first game, though...been a while.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Every mission I've had so far in my current game of X-COM has been at night. Including two terror missions.

Yeah this hasn't gone very well at all.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Milkman Conspiracy.

Not going to spoil anything but that level is an interesting turning point in the game where the difficulty jumps up but the story and the general enjoyment of the game takes a step back for a while. Though I found the next three "minds" to be the weakest of all, especially the very next one. Thankfully those aspects return after that section.

Really? The one after the Milkman was pretty weak, but still so amazing and different, and I absolutely loved the two following that.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Suds wrote: »
    The Milkman Conspiracy.

Really? The one after the Milkman was pretty weak, but still so amazing and different, and I absolutely loved the two following that.

Yeah, that sums up my feelings. Milkman is great, and I think the rest are too.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I brought the X-Com and Freedom Force pack and decided to play Freedom Force first after reading how unforgiving X-com is. Man this is a pretty tough game too, died on the first mission.

Peas on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Peas wrote: »
    I brought the X-Com and Freedom Force pack and decided to play Freedom Force first after reading how unforgiving X-com is. Man this is a pretty tough game too, died on the first mission.

Few games will let you spend hours doing research, missions, and base building, then surprise you with a base assault that wipes you out. Of course, I can't think of another game series which instills more paranoia for being prepared, but neither can I think of one which makes you feel more vindicated when your paranoia pays off and you utterly vaporize an invading force.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    LewieP wrote: »

It was originally a Gameboy Colour game. It got remade for Wiiware, and this is the new PC version.

Not actually played it myself, but am thinking of getting it too.

Eurogamer review of the GBC version.

Also, from the comments of my post on it on SavyGamer:
    hydra9 wrote:
    I’m playing this at the moment and really enjoying it. A very well made game with hints of ‘Adventures Of Lolo and Lemmings.

Yeah - just tried it on a whim, and it's really quite good. A 'proper' puzzle-platformer, where there's exactly one way through a level and you're given the tools to do it - the challenge comes from working out the correct place, order and time to use your items. Looks nice and sharp at 1080p, supports Steam Cloud and Achievements, supports Xbox 360 controller with rumble - it's a really well-done port. The plasticiney art-style grows on you too.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey! A Warhammer 40K mod was just released for half life 2.Each map pits Imperial Space Marines against the Tyranid swarm, competing in a series of mission objectives, culminating in a battle to decide the fate of the planet.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/exterminatus/news/exterminatus-has-arrived

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hey! A Warhammer 40K mod was just released for half life 2.Each map pits Imperial Space Marines against the Tyranid swarm, competing in a series of mission objectives, culminating in a battle to decide the fate of the planet.

Seems interesting, except one of the devs are saying they are broke and therefore can not host any more servers outside the two 4v4s they have up. So good luck finding a server.

Sanders on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I guess, like all things in life, it takes the greatest effort in order to obtain the greatest reward. XCom doesn't hold your had at all, but when you win, few games come even close to the feeling of triumph.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So like I feared, Psychonauts crashes to desktop right when it goes to the bunk. Anyone have any ideas about what to do for that?

jothki on
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Every mission I've had so far in my current game of X-COM has been at night. Including two terror missions.

Yeah this hasn't gone very well at all.

D: Thats some bad luck

Edit: wtf

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Seems interesting, except one of the devs are saying they are broke and therefore can not host any more servers outside the two 4v4s they have up. So good luck finding a server.

I've been playing on a 20 player server for the past hour or so, and this game is pretty great. It is in pretty ''beta'' condition, though.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh god. I just got off my ship and there was some sort of turret pointed right at me.
    D:

Rizzi on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can;t figure xcom out, oh well it was only 2bucks

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I can;t figure xcom out, oh well it was only 2bucks

I'm guessing you don't list "perseverance" or "problem solving" on your resume as skills.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey, does Steam allow for offline mode? How do I set it? Or is there a way I can bypass Steam having to be open to play Torchlight?

My connection at the moment doesn't handle Steam very well. That is, at all.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Hey, does Steam allow for offline mode? How do I set it? Or is there a way I can bypass Steam having to be open to play Torchlight?

My connection at the moment doesn't handle Steam very well. That is, at all.

File --> Go Offline should work

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    File > Go offline.
    Dang, beaten like a red headed step-child.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There's a "Go Offline" option in the file menu.

EDIT: Beat'd x2 :(

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think there's a "Go Offline" in the File menu.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BEATEN TIMES THREE, TYCHO CELCHUUU

LaCabra on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Can anyone enlighten me as to what the hell Steam is doing exactly that needs so much bandwidth when it is starting up and has the small dialog box that says "Connecting Steam account: (whatever)" with the cancel button? It can't be updating, because I got the update box before this one came up (as per usual if there's a small update to Steam when I'm logged out from it).

Henroid on
This discussion has been closed.