As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I block websites?

AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys I'm starting a bit of an internet detox and I remember there is a way to block websites on your browser. Obviously I could unblock them again if I really wanted to but it's just a helpful reminder not to go on a website if it comes up as blocked when you access it. How do I do it on firefox?

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
QEz1Jw1.png
Amigu on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Esh on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    easiest way would to do it with your hosts file.

it'll be in windows\system32\drivers\etc on XP, or just run a search for hosts.
    open it up in notepad
    add a line or lines like the following:
    127.0.0.1 www.whateversite.com
    than save it.

this will makes your web browser go to 127.0.0.1 instead of the actual sites ip, and as theres nothing there, well you get nothing.

just remove the entry when you want to get to the site again.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I use LeechBlock. It lets you block sites entirely or set time limits on how long you can use them. Mine is set to allow me to view penny-arcade, fark, news, youtube, etc for 30 minutes total per day.

[Michael] on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    rfalias on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    [Michael] wrote: »
    I use LeechBlock. It lets you block sites entirely or set time limits on how long you can use them. Mine is set to allow me to view penny-arcade, fark, news, youtube, etc for 30 minutes total per day.

Woah. That is seriously cool. I think I'd benefit from this.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you really want to detox from the internet, get someone to set a password on the leechblock addon so you can't remove them without asking them to unlock it for ya.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition