As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Good [chat], everyone!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    UncleChet wrote: »
    So, I just came back to WoW after 8 month break. I have an 80 hunter who had just started Naxx and has just the chest piece and the rest is crafted gear. I can pull up to 2k in random heroics. I kinda want to start a new toon to experience the random dungeon finder and all that stuff and see if I can still enjoy the game. Here are my limitations:
    I can only play like 10-12 hours/week, spread out over 3-4 days, including saturday so I consider this kind of casual.
    I'm willing to play most any class, but wouldn't mind trying my hand at a healer or tank. If only they had a healer equivilent to a DK.
    Should I just roll a DK and l2tank?
    I have 500g starter cash and 38 emblems of heroism. If i do 1 random/day how long will it take to get heirloom gear and does the heirloom plate transform to heirloom cloth if mailed to a clothy character?

Any suggestions on how to have fun? I like the rdf for my 80 and am grinding Argent tournament, but I'm slow going and can't make the best ammo yet since it was added. I"m max engineer/mining with slow flight/cold flight.
    At 1 random daily a day, if you're not spending your badges on anything else, maybe, 10 days. Depending on the heirloom gear you buy. Heirloom plate only goes down to mail, mail only down to leather (and only for classes that go leather -> mail, like hunters and shammies. if you send mail shoulders to a druid, it'll stay mail).

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    does the heirloom plate transform to heirloom cloth if mailed to a clothy character?
    No. If you want heirloom cloth gear on a cloth wearing toon, you have to get the heirloom cloth gear. Plate reverts to mail at low levels though, because the plate wearers cant wear plate until 40 or so. Same with mail, reverts to leather.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Leveling is pretty good right now, and if you've never done the starter quests for DK's it's one of the best quest lines, so at least give that a try and get him to 58.

Besides that i'd recommend saving up enough emblems for the chest and shoulders at least for any class you want to level, the 20% increase in xp makes a lot of difference. Mail and Plate heirlooms will adjust to Leather and Mail respectively before level 40, but the rest of the gear won't, so you won't be able to use plate items for cloth classes. The weapons are also pretty good, but kind of expensive, so if your tired of your hunter i'd probably skip them.

The LFG system is really solid so leveling is pretty fun if you like the low level instances. Catching up to raiding isn't too hard either since you have access to tier 9. All heroics drop triumph badges which can be used to purchase tier 9.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, I just came back to WoW after 8 month break. I have an 80 hunter who had just started Naxx and has just the chest piece and the rest is crafted gear. I can pull up to 2k in random heroics. I kinda want to start a new toon to experience the random dungeon finder and all that stuff and see if I can still enjoy the game. Here are my limitations:
    I can only play like 10-12 hours/week, spread out over 3-4 days, including saturday so I consider this kind of casual.
    I'm willing to play most any class, but wouldn't mind trying my hand at a healer or tank. If only they had a healer equivilent to a DK.
    I have 500g starter cash and 38 emblems of heroism. If i do 1 random/day how long will it take to get heirloom gear and does the heirloom plate transform to heirloom cloth if mailed to a clothy character?

Any suggestions on how to have fun? I like the rdf for my 80 and am grinding Argent tournament, but I'm slow going and can't make the best ammo yet since it was added. I"m max engineer/mining with slow flight/cold flight.

Try a Druid or Pally? Then you have healer, tank or DPS options?

Once you get 40 and dual spec it's nice as well to have a questing spec and dungeon spec.

I'd hate to level with resto druid :p but I love healing in 5mans.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Septus wrote: »
    I miss the Alliance so much. After all this time as Horde, I still prefer the Alliance races and cities.

I hate most of the Alliance cities. Getting across Stormwind makes me want to stab myself in the eye. Getting between class and profession trainers and the AH in the Darnassus makes me want to murder babies.
    And leveling engineering in Ironforge, where the forge and anvil are hella far from the trainer is super annoying.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I miss the Alliance so much. After all this time as Horde, I still prefer the Alliance races and cities.

I hate most of the Alliance cities. Getting across Stormwind makes me want to stab myself in the eye. Getting between class and profession trainers and the AH in the Darnassus makes me want to murder babies.
    And leveling engineering in Ironforge, where the forge and anvil are hella far from the trainer is super annoying.

Being a smith/engy and running across all of Orgrimmar to get between the bank and the forge/anvil is just as bad or even worse.

Bigity on
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bigity wrote: »

Being a smith/engy and running across all of Orgrimmar to get between the bank and the forge/anvil is just as bad or even worse.

And it only took Blizzard 5 years to address that issue.

Tyberius on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Thunderbuff was the place for a blacksmith at that time even though the higher level ones were in ORg kind of sucked

Brainleech on
  • Options
    JohnnyToxxicJohnnyToxxic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

They put in a new forge close to the entrance of Org.

JohnnyToxxic on
    Friend Safari Code: 0189-8920-9235
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Is there even a forge or Anvil in Darnanassus?

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »

Who would know? :p

Is there one in the Exodar?

Gnutson on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Yes. It's by the warrior trainer/battlemasters.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »

There is a spaceforge and spaceanvil by their spacesmiths in the south area. I only know this since I recently rolled a spacepaladin.

(Typing out italics is a pain on my Droid, pretend they are there!)

Tyberius on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Because come Cata I am going to hang out there instead of the return of Lagforge

Brainleech on
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Because come Cata I am going to hang out there instead of the return of Lagforge

I'll probably still chill at Dalaran on my Warrior, since he's an Engineer its a one stop shop for any major city as well as AH, Bank, and Trades.

My DK will probably cool his heels in Undercity since its AH to Mailbox set up is beyond perfect. Hearth will probably still be bound to Dalaran.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Once you get 40 and dual spec it's nice as well to have a questing spec and dungeon spec.

This is a great idea. I've tried both classes but never gotten either past like 14. I have a 10 druid waiting who's currently specced balance. I can roll a pally. If I want the shoulders/chest it'll take like 2-3 weeks of random heroics then? Are the weapons good? I'll only need 1 since they're both 2h classes.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tyberius wrote: »

There is a spaceforge and spaceanvil by their spacesmiths in the south area. I only know this since I recently rolled a spacepaladin.

(Typing out italics is a pain on my Droid, pretend they are there!)

like that?

mturalon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

This is a great idea. I've tried both classes but never gotten either past like 14. I have a 10 druid waiting who's currently specced balance. I can roll a pally. If I want the shoulders/chest it'll take like 2-3 weeks of random heroics then? Are the weapons good? I'll only need 1 since they're both 2h classes.

If you like healing, I'd suggest the leather (or even cloth) heirloom healing xp shoulders and chest.

Even on a pally, the xp bonus and spellpower you get off them will more than make up for the fact it's cloth.

Would take a week or two depending how many heroics you got in / how well they went.

Also you can get some xp/spellpower/resiliance shoulders with Stone Keeper Shards that you'll be getting doing dungeons anyway (providing your side controls Wintergrasp)

Gnutson on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    And doing the dailies at the tournament will lead to collecting Seals that you can use to buy Heirloom gear as well.

Seg on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aren't the chain spellpower heirlooms better?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My DK will probably cool his heels in Undercity since its AH to Mailbox set up is beyond perfect. Hearth will probably still be bound to Dalaran.

Like I tell my whole guild, the BEST hearth is the sewer inn in Dalaran. It's below the lagfest of the streets, mailbox/bank/guildbank all next to you with an flying mount hanger 10 steps away. Repairs on the opposite end with reagents and now a free mob to kill to work off any stress from that last PuG you had to hearth out of. It's perfect!

Tyberius on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cloth and leather heirlooms have spirit on them which is pretty much entirely useless for paladins, so I don't see why you'd take them over the mail heirlooms.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    bowen wrote: »

I like cloth because anyone can use it.. and I'm cheap

want to level a preist or lock later? your set.

For all youneed levelling the stats / armour won't make or break it. Hell people make it to 80 in much less desireable gear, or so we keep hearing about.

Gnutson on
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Like I tell my whole guild, the BEST hearth is the sewer inn in Dalaran. It's below the lagfest of the streets, mailbox/bank/guildbank all next to you with an flying mount hanger 10 steps away. Repairs on the opposite end with reagents and now a free mob to kill to work off any stress from that last PuG you had to hearth out of. It's perfect!

Yeah the Underbelly is where two of my toons have their hearths set. I think my pally and hunter keep it set to the Inn.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    bowen wrote: »

I like cloth because anyone can use it.. want to level a preist or lock later? your set.

My first two 80's were my rogue and druid, so I just snagged the cloth, plate and mail versions for the rest of the army.

Sure, I could've just used the cloth for everyone, but having more appropriate stats (especially for the tank classes) was time well spent, in my opinion.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Legerdemain Lounge is best for the easy Engi AH access.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think he was talking about healing specs specifically for those that wear leather/mail/armor. I sure hope he wouldn't support tanking in cloth.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    for a paladin? no

mturalon on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Of course, but why worry about potentially needing multiple heirlooms based on role? I suppose if I wanted to I could ship my Cloth heirlooms to my shaman for when she's healing (and given that my last cloth wearer will probably hit 80 before she does, that's not a bad idea), but healing in the "hunter" pieces hasn't really been a problem so far, as an example.

The mana, regen and spell power you lose out on isn't a particularly terrible handicap as long as you're on the ball.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Exactly.

Up untill I had enough badges for my leather healing piece, my shaman used the resiliance dps shoulders in 5mans, because 10% xp was way more important than those couple of stats while levelling.

Gnutson on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Meh, I prefer the argent tournament.

1. On a high pop realm like Arygos, no matter how good your pc is, Dalaran is a lagfest best avoided (especially around patchdays).
    2. I can quickly grab my dailies there, then hit Dalaran on my way to do the AT dailies that are outside of Icecrown (like the snobold one).
    3. 310% speed flyer and crusader aura means I'm generally only a couple minutes outside of dal anyway. I've literally logged in, had somebody tell me that a book was up (Higher Learning achievement), and get there with plenty of time to spare.

And since I'm an engineer, it's not like I have to hit dal to hit a bank or mailbox, just the AH (or guildbank for the odd item) :P

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Windrunner it seems we the horde are segregated to the North bank

Brainleech on
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I plan to pally as ret/prot so I'll go with plate>Chain. I guess emblem chest and shard shoulders? Do those 2 stack? I won't log in the alt to play untill i have both pieces ready to go. You guys are awesome. I'm excited to be playing wow again. My bf's gonna hate the hell out of me.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Windrunner it seems we the horde are segregated to the North bank

Some idiot on the alliance side the other day was yelling 'Let's go spam the horde bank with bodies'. People were like...what horde bank? The bad side to a large faction base on a server is you have more idiots, numerically speaking.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I plan to pally as ret/prot so I'll go with plate>Chain. I guess emblem chest and shard shoulders? Do those 2 stack? I won't log in the alt to play untill i have both pieces ready to go. You guys are awesome. I'm excited to be playing wow again. My bf's gonna hate the hell out of me.

yes the chest and shoulders exp bonus stack regardless of if they are purchased with shards for pvp gear or emblems/seals for pve

mturalon on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nobody wrote: »

Meh, I prefer the argent tournament.

1. On a high pop realm like Arygos, no matter how good your pc is, Dalaran is a lagfest best avoided (especially around patchdays).
    2. I can quickly grab my dailies there, then hit Dalaran on my way to do the AT dailies that are outside of Icecrown (like the snobold one).
    3. 310% speed flyer and crusader aura means I'm generally only a couple minutes outside of dal anyway. I've literally logged in, had somebody tell me that a book was up (Higher Learning achievement), and get there with plenty of time to spare.

And since I'm an engineer, it's not like I have to hit dal to hit a bank or mailbox, just the AH (or guildbank for the odd item) :P

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the Higher Learning achievement. I got that last winter and I am so fucking glad that nightmare is over.

Langly on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I got Higher Learning due to the massive amounts of resets a full server at Wotlk launch ended up having. Every reset respawned the books, meaning in the span of 30m I got like 5 of 'em due to the server restarting twice.

Opty on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm down to two so far, the one next to Rhonin and the one in the room with the teleport crystal. I still make several circuits in Dalaran whenever I'm on.

Nobody on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the best time to get Higher learning was during the lull between Naxx and Ulduar. I was literally hearthing out of Noth to go click on books.

"whisper: Hey the last book is up! gogogogogo"

"/raid: um...brb"

bubblehearth

Langly on
  • Options
    MEGAMERICANMEGAMERICAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is the new PvP season starting this week or next?

MEGAMERICAN on
This discussion has been closed.