As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pretty XBox 360 games

FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARDinterior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm finally joining the ranks of the HDTV generation. After many long years suffering under the lurid fluorescent glow of a 29" SDTV, I'm now the proud owner of a 720p 42" plasma.

I'm looking for suggestions for XBox 360 games that will give me a warm fuzzy happy feeling in my pants when played on my new TV.

Thus far, I'm planning on playing some Dead Rising because the text was microscopic on the SDTV and it'll be nice to see some actual plot.

Other than that, though, give me suggestions!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
Feral on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gears--people either think the graphics are amazing or think they are too monocromatic. I thought it looked awesome because it was the first HD game I ever played.

Bioshock--probably my pick for the "most beautiful" game on the console. Not only are the graphics amazing, they have a unique aesthetic that you won't see in other games.

Assassin's Creed--haven't played the second one yet, but the first one had some truly beautiful graphics.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Gears 2--Bioshock--

I came in to say this. Also Fallout 3. the detail is amazing.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oblivion is pretty nice for the shinys

DekuStick on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is going to sound dumb, but Geometry Wars 2. If you already own it, boot it up again just to look at it. The difference between SD and an HD resolution is astounding.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fallout 3. Since I got a new HDTV for Christmas, I've been replaying it from the beginning. It's like a completely new game.

I also wouldn't discount some of the XBLA games. Geometry Wars I & II are pretty much unplayable in SD. in HD they're absolutely gorgeous.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Assassin's Creed 2 is absolutely stunning. Modern Warfare 2 is also beautiful and is so much better on a bigger screen. If you're into music games, The Beatles: Rock Band is awesome, especially the dreamscapes.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, seconding the Assassin's Creed games. AC1 was mediocre, but some of the climbs were breathtaking. AC2 is much better, and the climbs are still breathtaking. Seriously, I've spent so much time on both games just running around the cities and climbing shit to look around.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    AC2 ftw.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    JHunz wrote: »
    This is going to sound dumb, but Geometry Wars 2. If you already own it, boot it up again just to look at it. The difference between SD and an HD resolution is astounding.

And while we're mentioning downloadable games, I'd also suggest Rez HD.

I've been playing Assassin's Creed 2 and the only reason it doesn't look as impressive to me is that I just finished playing Uncharted 2 on PS3. That being said, it's still an impressive-looking game. I have fond memories of the vistas in the first one too.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Definitely pick up Rez HD from the marketplace. Also, I'll recommend The Darkness (a Shiny game, from the same people that made the excellent Chronicles of Riddick games) and Mirror's Edge.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Luckily, I already own Rez HD and Geometry Wars (although the comment that it's "unplayable" on SD is puzzling, but whatever).

I also own Fallout 3. I look forward to replaying it.

Assassin's Creed 2 and Bioshock are good ideas.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Going to go right ahead and second all of the above games.

Emphasis on Oblivion though. Game may be a bit old (3 or 4 years now?) but it's still astonishingly beautiful and a great game.

Cristo on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I agree with Bioshock - the water in high def is really amazing.

Prince of Persia is very pretty too - the scenes where they convert areas back to grass and sunlight are really nice in high def.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The scenery in Oblivion is great. Still has the usual Bethesda problem when it comes to people and faces though.

Fable 2 looks very nice. As does Dynasty Warriors 6. And they have the benefit of being quite good games.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Prince of Persia is gorgeous. And I guess Bayonetta is out now and is pretty awesome for visuals. I thought Viva Pinata looked especially good as well. Mirror's Edge looked downright photoreal at times.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Do you like some jRPG in your diet? Can you handle something nearly terminally cute?

Because Eternal Sonata is DAMN pretty.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Prince of Persia ( 2008 ). You want to talk pretty? This game is BEAUTIFUL. Also its the best entry in the Prince of Persia series so far, revamping the controls and gameplay to be non stop and exciting.

Also the dialogue in it is top notch, as well as the storytelling.

But seriously.. Beautiful game. So pretty. SO SO Gorgeous!

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Mirror's Edge is a pretty looking game.
    highresscreenshot00028.jpg

More pretties in spoilers here

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Doesn't the second half of Mirror's Edge take you down into some sewers or some shit?

Feral on

• Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Doesn't the second half of Mirror's Edge take you down into some sewers or some shit?

No, there are indoor and outdoor environments. You can pick up or rent the game really cheap, and it's pretty short too. Well worth the time to play in HD.

I am in agreeance with the Prince of Persia vote.

If you like color, Kameo is very pretty, short and super cheap if you find it used. Game is way easy though unless you go for the "A" ranking achievements. Doesn't feature a ton of cool effects being a launch game, but it is colorful which is nice.

BlazBlue looks awesome in HD.

Bionic Commando ReArmed.

Modern Warfare 2 I can see being a big jump if you'd been playing on an SDTV.

And if you ever have the chance, check out the PS3 exclusives borrow from a friend if you can. Killzone2, Uncharted 1 & 2, Ratchet and Clank and InFamous. KZ2 is the only one with the next gen "brown" syndrome, but the others all feature color and fun.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Luckily, I already own Rez HD and Geometry Wars (although the comment that it's "unplayable" on SD is puzzling, but whatever).

I also own Fallout 3. I look forward to replaying it.

Assassin's Creed 2 and Bioshock are good ideas.

Well, that "unplayable" comment might have been a bit of hyperbole on my part, but I found it really difficult to tell what was going on when playing it in SD. It might have been due to the fact that my old TV was really, really terrible.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Forza 3

I think Battlefield Bad Company looks awesome on an HD set.

Modern Warfare 2 looks great in HD

All I can say is that it's a shame you don't have a PS3. Uncharted 2 would blow your mind in HD.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fable 2 looks pretty fantastic. Worth a rental at least.

Also, I've always found Devil May Cry 4 to be pure, unfiltered eye candy.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bayonetta is very easy on the eyes. Sanity can be checked at the door. But very very pretty.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ace Combat 6 is easily in the top 5 most realistic looking games on the 360 when played on a large 1080p screen.

I get sick whenever I play it drunk, because it looks so real. D:

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Taranis wrote: »
    Ace Combat 6 is easily in the top 5 most realistic looking games on the 360 when played on a large 1080p screen.

I get sick whenever I play it drunk, because it looks so real. D:

I watched a friend play that. I actually puked from disorientation ( he had a 50 inch plasma .. so it was ..woah ).

I also puked once playing Mirror's Edge on my pc. It was during a really bad screw up when i fell off a building looking down. It was so vertigo inducing i ended up spending a few minutes in the bathroom heaving.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ace Combat 6 does indeed look awesome.
    I found it on sale for $20 a couple weeks ago, score

I feel compelled to ask though, why did you go for a 720p instead of 1080p? Really good deal on the TV or something?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Ace Combat 6 does indeed look awesome.
    I found it on sale for $20 a couple weeks ago, score

I feel compelled to ask though, why did you go for a 720p instead of 1080p? Really good deal on the TV or something?

Part of it was the cost. I did get a good price on the screen. Since I have an Xbox and HTPC and no PS3 and no intention of buying a PS3 or a Blu-Ray player, only a tiny minority of my content is 1080p-native. I'd rather downscale higher-res content than upscale lower-res content, since the lower-res content represents 99% of what I'm doing.

Feral on

• Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My flatmate played quite a bit of COD4 and really enjoyed it. Then he saw me playing on my HDTV and was all like, "Holy shit.... look how far you can see! At that? That's a guy... SHOOT HIM! Jesus christ, now I know why people were popping me from such mad distances!"

So - perhaps not so much a recommendation for being pretty as it is for a game whose gameplay is significantly improved...

EDIT: The TV at the time was a 720. The big jump is from SD to HD. 720 --> 1080 isn't as noticable. and depending on its distance from you/your eyesight - you might even not really be able to tell. Some 720's are going at stupid prices right now, because everyone wants the latest and greatest.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, 720 is going to be fine for 90% of stuff, and anything super graphics heavy that's in 3d isn't going to run 1080 native.

Mass Effect is something I'd add to the list. (it's pretty once the textures fill in olol)

bombardier on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Modern Warfare 2

Gears 2

Bourne Conspiracy (This is actually a really underrated game, and you can get it on the cheap.)

Magna Carta 2

Bioshock

Condemned 2 (AWESOME game, also cheap now, id grab the first one too though just cuz they are both great, but the second one is way prettier.)

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/