As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

linksys problem

augustaugust where you come from is goneRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
august wrote: »
Hey guys, I share internet with my roommate/landlady. I had an old linksys wrt54gs which I had her imac wired to and the wireless setup with a password, etc for my xp laptop. She just changed from cable to dsl and for the life of me I can't get the router to see the internet. I've reset the router to factory condition and reset the modem and router a few times, with no success. Also tried the mac version of the linsys automatic setup program. Help?

august on

• Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The modem may be configured to only allow the MAC address of the PC. Check the router docs for instructions on MAC address cloning. I'd also check to see if router needs to be configured for a DSL username/password.

Every DSL setup I've seen requires one or both of these to work.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is that the same as the MAC address on the bottom of the dsl modem?

august on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Because I've tried cloning the mac address on the box, and the mac address of the imac (as far as I can tell from the network utility of the imac) with no results.

I think I might just call the isp.

august on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You can test it by hooking up a different system to the DSL modem and seeing if it works without additional configuration.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    99% chance your dsl modem and the router have the same IP address assigned (e.g. 192.168.1.1 or .0.1). Unlike cable modems, dsl modems have a little web server and their own ip. Check the router address, then disconnect it completely. Plug a computer directly into the dsl modem and then check the modem's address. If they are the same change your router to be the 192.168.x.1 address, where 'x' is the number 0 or 1 that is not used by the dsl modem. Also don't do mac cloning unless you're pretty sure you need to.

After the changes always reboot devices in this order: modem, router, computer. That will ensure nobody has a stale DHCP IP or something.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah I just plugged my laptop here into the dsl modem and I'm up and running, so it's not a mac thing. Getting started on those instructions.

august on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    yessss mission accomplished. thanks guys!!!

august on