As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game of the Decade] RESULTS IN OP

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Grislo wrote: »
    Stolls wrote: »

Dr. Avalanche: Sadly, Suiko3 didn't have enough castle building to make it on the list for me. Mostly good times, but kind of a letdown after 2. I kept hearing 5 was more of a return to form, but never did get around to checking it out. I'll see if I can still find a copy somewhere... and add it to the pile of games I still have to finish.

Suikoden 2 is certainly my favorite; ever after, I always entered the next game hoping there was a cooking contest, always to be disappointed. Suikoden 5 is certainly a return to form, though it doesn't come close to reaching the pinnacle of 2. Just curious, as they seemed to fit some of your other choices.

5 is enjoyable enough, and it's fun to go around finding characters, but it is completely lacking in challenge. There are very few battles that can't be won simply by letting your characters auto attack.

It doesn't have anything nearly resembling a good enough story to keep you interested when there's no real effort or challenge in the gameplay.

Every Suikoden is completely lacking in challenge. Like every other one, the enjoyability of the combat basically depends on your ability to derive pleasure from the act of outfitting and optimizing your group and watching them steamroll through things.

The story is at least moderately engaging (I felt a lot more than 3 or 4), and the cast is solid. Also, I personally loved that you could spend like an hour just talking to everyone in your army before every major battle.

Suikoden III is easily my favorite of the trilogy. Everything from the first two improved on to make the most fun of the three.

II just did not impress me that much, though Luca lived up to his reputation.
    (I did like the strategy battles)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Grislo wrote: »
    Stolls wrote: »

Dr. Avalanche: Sadly, Suiko3 didn't have enough castle building to make it on the list for me. Mostly good times, but kind of a letdown after 2. I kept hearing 5 was more of a return to form, but never did get around to checking it out. I'll see if I can still find a copy somewhere... and add it to the pile of games I still have to finish.

Suikoden 2 is certainly my favorite; ever after, I always entered the next game hoping there was a cooking contest, always to be disappointed. Suikoden 5 is certainly a return to form, though it doesn't come close to reaching the pinnacle of 2. Just curious, as they seemed to fit some of your other choices.

5 is enjoyable enough, and it's fun to go around finding characters, but it is completely lacking in challenge. There are very few battles that can't be won simply by letting your characters auto attack.

It doesn't have anything nearly resembling a good enough story to keep you interested when there's no real effort or challenge in the gameplay.

Every Suikoden is completely lacking in challenge. Like every other one, the enjoyability of the combat basically depends on your ability to derive pleasure from the act of outfitting and optimizing your group and watching them steamroll through things.

The story is at least moderately engaging (I felt a lot more than 3 or 4), and the cast is solid. Also, I personally loved that you could spend like an hour just talking to everyone in your army before every major battle.

Suikoden III is easily my favorite of the trilogy. Everything from the first two improved on to make the most fun of the three.

II just did not impress me that much, though Luca lived up to his reputation.
    (I did like the strategy battles)

In retrospect, the plot of 2 kind of annoys me; more to the point, I consider the non-108 stars endings to be the good ones. However, building the castle was fuckawesome. You get your own town, a gambling game, a rock-climbing wall, a fishing hole, a private investigator, a full-service cafeteria where people randomly have Iron Chef cook-offs, a stage where Hot Gypsy Twins will sometimes dance... always something going on. Good times. 3's castle was decent, but it showed up far too late in the game*.

Honestly, I consider Suikodens 1-3 to have overall really good gameplay, to the point where I didn't mind putting up with the usual grinding and melodrama. All three had some damn fine music too, which smooths over a lot of misunderstandings for me. 3 took a few steps backward with party and army battles, but almost made up for it with a better duel system and trainable skills. If 5 is in any way comparable to the best parts of each game, then I should probably get to it post-haste.

*reason #36 why 3 should've stayed focused Thomas. His chapters were my favorite parts for precisely this reason. Everybody else is worried about True Runes and manufactured wars and he's got a castle.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am so happy to see how many votes Majora's Mask is getting.

I second this.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Suikoden III's theater creator was the best bonus in anything ever.

Try making Romeo and Juliet and casting Miki(?, the teleportation girl) as Juliet.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    I am so happy to see how many votes Majora's Mask is getting.

I second this.

Quite a few number ones as well. Not that surprising when you see how many folks argue about how great it is in basically every Zelda thread I've read.
    It is so great.
    TheStig wrote:
    It's sad to see how few votes SF4 gets, I assume it's because not that many people really play fighting games. But not only was it really well done but it was/is very significant in bringing back the popularity of competitive fighting games and the SF franchise.

I'm not that heavily into fighting game. I play them for a bit, enjoy them and then put them down. SC II got the most play time out of me and that was because a friend of mine and played it whenever we hung out. I played SF 4 with my sister's boyfriend who took it way too seriously. Not really interested in training and training at a game until I manage to become good at it.

Also quite sad the only Football Manager was 2010. Never played that one and couldn't justify selecting a game I've never played just because FM 2006 (I think) was super great and I'm sure it's only gotten better (as is the way with old Champ Man games and now FMs).

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm surprised to see more than, well...0 people list VtM: Bloodlines as their #1. And while I didn't list it that high, as I prefer tactical RPGs, I"m glad to see that some people liked it that much. Most underrated RPG, by far.

I'm suprised by the wellspring of suport Arcanum has been getting.

On the other hand, I'm sad and confused by the multiple people who have Fallout 3 on their list but not BG2 or Deus Ex, not to mention all the lesser cRPGs

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm just confused by people who have Fallout 3 on their list in general.

But I guess that's what it means for people to have different tastes!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dragon age was my first bioware game and Fallout 3 was my first cRPG so I havent actually had much time to buy anymore cRPGs despite now possessing a real interest in playing them. Deus Ex is a game I just never got around to buying because there were always other games to buy and I've never come across it when looking in shops for cheap deals but I suppose that has quite a bit to do with the pitiful display space PC games get.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I can't believe you sidded with Pearl/Diamond and not the infinitely better Pokemon Gold/Silver.

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    Dr. AvalancheDr. Avalanche Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see more than, well...0 people list VtM: Bloodlines as their #1. And while I didn't list it that high, as I prefer tactical RPGs, I"m glad to see that some people liked it that much. Most underrated RPG, by far.

I'm suprised by the wellspring of suport Arcanum has been getting.

On the other hand, I'm sad and confused by the multiple people who have Fallout 3 on their list but not BG2 or Deus Ex, not to mention all the lesser cRPGs

I think there's a 'generation' of PC gamers who don't, because of the relative flaccidity of the gameplay in KOTOR et al, know what to expect from a good RPG. The absolute crap combat systems (and I'm not privileging non-shooter gameplay here; FO3 is a crap shooter), the shallow character advancement, the lack of choices and consequences, the smarmy dialogue, the narrative paucity... the only RPG 'advancement' since Torment and Fallout have been in graphics, and even that is debatable. I installed BG2 with a patch to increase resolution recently and was just stunned at how good Waukeen's Promenade looks in 1680x1050.

There are a lot of places to point fingers, but the fact remains that the '00s were not kind to RPGs and RPG fans - the best we got were the Troika games, and they were at best flawed masterpieces with gaping holes (V:tM, which I love, turning into a very crappy action game once you hit the sewers).

Dr. Avalanche on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There's something about Baulder's Gate games. Even when it was new every screen shot looked ugly and unappetizing to me. I just hated everything about the aesthetics I saw. I pretty much ended up completely avoiding the top down D&D type RPG's for years because of the impressions I had of that one and everyone praising (i.e. the mentality that if the one everyone praises turns me off I won't like any of them). It wasn't until Never Winter Nights 2 that I gave them a chance. Unfortunately the game didn't work that well on my old computer so I never really played it much. Now I have Dragon Age and I'm loving every minute of it. It even made my top 10.

I'm not really sure why I started talking about this anymore. But it took 10 years for that genre to go from "won't touch it" to "one of my favorite games."

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lenore03 wrote: »

I can't believe you sidded with Pearl/Diamond and not the infinitely better Pokemon Gold/Silver.

I didn't rack up over 600 hours on Gold. That was Diamond.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeesh. And I thought 213 on SMT Nocturne was bad.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lenore03 wrote: »

I didn't rack up over 600 hours on Gold. That was Diamond.

Wow.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man I just remembered Ico, long after submitting my list. D:

Somehow I had forgotten about it, even though I borrowed a PS just for that one game. It's definitely one of the most memorable games I've ever played.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm with everyone else who put Deus Ex as the undisputed #1.

That game has enough going for it to be the best game of the next decade as well.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    You're the second person I have seen put Civ3 on their list but not 4.
    I don't remember much about 3 and I have just started playing 4 so I can't really compare. In what ways was 3 better?
    Also high five for double dash, nintendo really took a step backwards with mario kart wii.

Well, I only rated games that I personally played/really enjoyed. I played a bunch of Civ 3 while in undergrad when I actually had some time (at least late at night) to play just one more turn. By the time Civ 4 came out, I was back at home and I didnt have the opportunity to invest the necessary time into the game.

Same logic for Double Dash over Wii. While I think the Wii version is better with online and more courses, I spent a crap load of time playing Double Dash with some friends in University. We had many 4-way battles, so I have fonder memories of that game.

How many songs you at?

543 on PS3, nearly 300 on 360 D: My wallet!

Also, I was a little miffed that Tomb Raider: Legend wasn't on the nomination list, it would have made my Top 25 for sure and knocked off Bioshock.

I am not quite sure, but a few weeks ago I was at ~480ish DLC I think. But that was before I exported Lego Rock Band and picked up a few more tracks. So in other words, I have a shitload of DLC.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    You're the second person I have seen put Civ3 on their list but not 4.
    I don't remember much about 3 and I have just started playing 4 so I can't really compare. In what ways was 3 better?
    Also high five for double dash, nintendo really took a step backwards with mario kart wii.

Well, I only rated games that I personally played/really enjoyed. I played a bunch of Civ 3 while in undergrad when I actually had some time (at least late at night) to play just one more turn. By the time Civ 4 came out, I was back at home and I didnt have the opportunity to invest the necessary time into the game.

Same logic for Double Dash over Wii. While I think the Wii version is better with online and more courses, I spent a crap load of time playing Double Dash with some friends in University. We had many 4-way battles, so I have fonder memories of that game.

How many songs you at?

543 on PS3, nearly 300 on 360 D: My wallet!

Also, I was a little miffed that Tomb Raider: Legend wasn't on the nomination list, it would have made my Top 25 for sure and knocked off Bioshock.

I am not quite sure, but a few weeks ago I was at ~480ish DLC I think. But that was before I exported Lego Rock Band and picked up a few more tracks. So in other words, I have a shitload of DLC.

I have played both a ton of Double Dash and MK Wii and I can say without a doubt that Double Dash is the superior version. Wii has online, but that's just a symptom of it coming out later/on the wii. The online is half assed, it's really only good for random races. The kart balance is awful, the worst bikes beat the best karts. The controls aren't customizable and they purposely gave the best controller (the GC one) the most terrible control scheme, i assume to get people to use the wii controller. On top of all that, they dumbed down drifting way too much and overloaded the game with fire and forget super items.

It's not even more newbie/party friendly which I assume was their intention since having a ton of super weapons just frustrates people who aren't familiar with the game. Your friends are just going to end up tossing their controller when their in the lead then suddenly they get hit by 2 blue shells, a pow block, a lightning, another blue shell (because they don't switch targets like in DD) and then a bullet bill.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Suikoden III's theater creator was the best bonus in anything ever.

Try making Romeo and Juliet and casting Miki(?, the teleportation girl) as Juliet.

You are the worst : ( Knowing Viki is like the only requirement for anything ever.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    NaeblissNaebliss Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well I voted.
    1. Half-Life 2 [Episodes 1 and 2] (PC, 360) <2004>
    2. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) <2007>
    3. Dragon Age: Origins [Stone Prisoner, Warden's Keep] (360,PC,PS3) <2009>
    4. Metroid Prime (GC) <2002>
    5. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii, GC) <2006>
    6. Bioshock (360, PS3, PC) <2007>
    7. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion [Knights of Nine, Shivering Isles] (PC, PS3, 360) <2006>
    8. World of Warcraft [Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King] (PC) <2004>
    9. Portal (PC, XBOX) <2007>
    10. Mass Effect [Bring Down the Sky, Pinnacle Station] (PC, 360) <2007>
    11. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) <2008>
    12. Diablo II [Lord of Destruction] (PC) <2000>
    13. Final Fantasy IX (PS1) <2000>
    14. Crysis (PC) <2007>
    15. Skies of Arcadia (DC, GC) <2000>
    16. F-Zero GX (GC) <2003>
    17. Ico (PS2) <2001>
    18. Left 4 Dead 2 (PC, 360) <2009>
    19. Street Fighter IV (360, PC, PS3) <2009>
    20. Mega Man Zero 2 (GBA) <2003>
    21. Dead Space (PC, PS3, 360) <2008>
    22. Ikaruga (GC, 360*) <2003>
    23. Devil May Cry (PS2) <2001>
    24. Contra 4 (DS) <2007>
    25. Chrono Cross (PS1) <2000>

Woo, go HL2 and Galaxy!!!!

Naebliss on
    This couch is the comfiest!
    Street Fighter 4 (pc): sdurien
    Steam: Jon http://steamcommunity.com//profiles/76561197970923897/home
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Can't we have like 5 #1 spots? So many games deserve it.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm not sure if 5AM is the right time to sort this out, but I did, for better or worse:
    1. Mass Effect [Bring Down the Sky, Pinnacle Station] (PC, 360) <2007>
    2. Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner (PS2) <2003>
    3. Diablo II [Lord of Destruction] (PC) <2000>
    4. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC) <2001>
    5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2) <2004>
    6. Chrono Cross (PS1) <2000>
    7. Deus Ex (PC, PS2) <2000>
    8. Metroid Prime (GC) <2002>
    9. Prototype (PC, PS3, 360) <2009>
    10. Perfect Dark (N64) <2000>
    11. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion [Knights of Nine, Shivering Isles] (PC, PS3, 360) <2006>
    12. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) <2000>
    13. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) <2005>
    14. Portal (PC, XBOX) <2007>
    15. Half-Life 2 [Episodes 1 and 2] (PC, 360) <2004>
    16. Left 4 Dead 2 (PC, 360) <2009>
    17. Dead Space (PC, PS3, 360) <2008>
    18. Castle Crashers (360*) <2008>
    19. Disgaea (PS2, PSP, DS) <2003>
    20. Devil May Cry 3 (PS2, PC) <2005>
    21. Katamari Damacy (PS2) <2004>
    22. Digital Devil Saga (PS2) <2005>
    23. Guitar Hero 2 (PS2, 360) <2006>
    24. Shadow Complex (360*) <2009>
    25. Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2 (GBA) <2006>

I'm not sure if I'm completely satisfied, but I couldn't keep sorting it anymore

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Considering how much hype it generated at release I'm surprised how few #1 votes Super Mario Galaxy is getting.

Or even top ten in general

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Super Mario Galaxy is a great game (best Wii game I know of, though I haven't played NSMBW yet), but its main problem is that it was a 3D Mario

The whole game felt very reminiscent of SMB3, which only served to remind me how much better SMB3 actually was

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Super Mario Galaxy is a great game (best Wii game I know of, though I haven't played NSMBW yet), but its main problem is that it was a 3D Mario

The whole game felt very reminiscent of SMB3, which only served to remind me how much better SMB3 actually was

Oh man, if you got that from Galaxy then NSMBwii will facefuck you with how much that game is straight up SMB3. It has a little world stuff mixed in, but huge swathes of that game are pretty much just SMB3.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

3D Mario > 2D Mario. There, I said it.

With that out of the way, Super Mario Galaxy did find it's way into my top 10, although on the 10th spot only, while Sunshine is 6th or something. Some here would call this heresy.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

First against the wall when the revolution comes

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hi5 UnbreakableVow, for voting Burnout Paradise into your top five. That and Uncharted 2 are by far my favourite console games of this generation.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I try!

It's odd to me that some people prefer Burnout 3

It boggles the fucking mind that there are people who prefer Revenge to both. These people also eat kittens in their spare time.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    See, burnout 2 I could understand because it was the first proper insanely huge crashes burnout. But revenge and Takedown were nowhere near as great as 2 or Paradise.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    See, burnout 2 I could understand because it was the first proper insanely huge crashes burnout. But revenge and Takedown were nowhere near as great as 2 or Paradise.

Never played 2. Don't like Paradise. I tried to, I even played through what ... elite license. But It's my least favorite of the ones I've played (1, 3 and Revenge). Burnout 3 was pure Arcade racing bliss though.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, 3 was a fantastic game

In a world where Paradise doesn't exist, it would have made my Top 25 easy

But Paradise just offers so much more, such an amazing amount of content and the only thing they took back in return was Crash mode, which was something I never spent a ton of time on anyways (though it's definitely better than Showtime).

Also the soundtrack to Burnout Paradise is pretty great and fitting, sometimes I don't even put on custom soundtrack. Can't say the same for Takedown

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I couldn't deal with the open world. No matter how much I played I could never memorize the map. The little blinking road signs for where to turn just didn't seem to help me any. It ruined the game for me because I was always pausing to check the map.

For an open world racer I seem to either need them to close off the track during races like NFS: Most Wanted did, or giant fucking "turn here retard" markers on the road like GTA4 or Saints Row 2 does.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, 3 was a fantastic game

In a world where Paradise doesn't exist, it would have made my Top 25 easy

But Paradise just offers so much more, such an amazing amount of content and the only thing they took back in return was Crash mode, which was something I never spent a ton of time on anyways (though it's definitely better than Showtime).

Also the soundtrack to Burnout Paradise is pretty great and fitting, sometimes I don't even put on custom soundtrack. Can't say the same for Takedown

Yeah Burnout 3 was a big turning point for the use of custom soundtracks :lol:

I dunno, I loved paradise, but I also loved 3. I think there's still room for a Burnout game with closed circuit races. I liked the more focussed aspect of it, also the completionist part of it, going back over and over to get golds as so on. I also loved stuff like the different car classes.

Paradise loses a little in those aspects and in general focus, but it's fine because you can just GO. Go out into the city and just do random stuff forever. Which is awesome. It's lack of direction and focus was never a problem. Also marked man is spectacular.

They're both equally valid and I'd love to see them continue both in the future. Hell, just add some circuit races to a paradise style map that close off some streets or something. Another event to add to the list.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I played Burnout 3 and Paradise, but chose 3 for my top 25. Everything 3 offers is fun, and I ended up played it to 100% completion. As for Paradise, the open world hurt my enjoyment of it more than it helped. I liked going to each road and beating the time road rule, and there's fun to be had just driving around, but in actual events, the world is difficult to easily navigate. Every couple seconds I have to check the map, and if I accidentally make a wrong turn or some other mistake that takes me off-course, I'm effectively out of the race and have to find my way back to the starting position of the event.

I also don't get the impression that each course is "hand-crafted", so to speak. I don't care for the focus on collection, either. Collecting hundreds of different things without a good checklist isn't fun. It's also tedious to switch vehicles to the point that it's not worth it, unless I'm upgrading to a better "all-around" car. I skipped most of the vehicle-specific challenges because of it.

I probably would've enjoyed it a lot more if I played it after they patched in resetting, but I couldn't get back into when I picked it up again. As -SPI- suggested, they could easily fit in circuit races, medals, etc., and if I can just have a menu system to easily access events and switch cars, then we could have a Burnout game that smoothly combines the circuit-focused aspects of previous games with the open world of Paradise.

Arteen on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

With that out of the way, Super Mario Galaxy did find it's way into my top 10, although on the 10th spot only, while Sunshine is 6th or something. Some here would call this heresy.

That is heresy. While Galaxy deserves every vote it can get(It was my Number 1), putting Sunshine above it is a travesty. Sunshine didn't even make my top 25.

Agreed though that the 3D Mario games have surpassed their 2D counterparts. Been playing NSMBW lately, and all I can think is, why isn't SMG2 out yet instead? It's good, and surprisingly hard, but its not Galaxy.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    God damn that was hard. Harder than I thought considering I ended up with a short list of 40 or so games.
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2, XBOX) <2001>
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War [Winter Assault, Dark Crusade, Soulstorm] (PC) <2004>
    Final Fantasy IX (PS1) <2000>
    Homeworld: Cataclysm (PC) <2000>
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PC, PS2, XBOX) <2004>
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (XBOX, PC) <2004>
    Halo (XBOX, PC) <2001>
    Fable (XBOX, PC) <2004>
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (XBOX, PC) <2003>
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC, PS3, 360, Wii) <2007>
    Final Fantasy XII (PS2) <2006>
    Black & White [Creature Isle] (PC) <2001>
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2) <2004>
    Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (PS2) <2004>
    Disgaea (PS2, PSP, DS) <2003>
    TimeSplitters 2 (GC, PS2, XBOX) <2002>
    Gran Turismo 4 (PS2) <2005>
    Half-Life 2 [Episodes 1 and 2] (PC, 360) <2004>
    Rise of Nations [Thrones and Patriots] (PC) <2003>
    Far Cry (PC, XBOX) <2004>
    Portal (PC, XBOX) <2007>
    Left 4 Dead (PC, 360) <2008>
    Devil May Cry (PS2) <2001>
    Guitar Hero 3 (PC, PS2, PS3, 360, Wii) <2007>
    Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC) <2001>

Casual on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Probably should have spent more time on it, but I figure the top 10 is all that really matters anyway
    1. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) <2007>
    2. Half-Life 2 [Episodes 1 and 2] (PC, 360) <2004>
    3. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) <2005>
    4. Diablo II [Lord of Destruction] (PC) <2000>
    5. Lumines (PSP, PC, 360*, PS3*) <2005>
    6. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS) <2009>
    7. Mario vs. Donkey Kong (GBA) <2004>
    8. Demon's Souls (PS3) <2009>
    9. Disgaea (PS2, PSP, DS) <2003>
    10. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (XBOX, PC) <2003>
    11. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (PC) <2003>
    12. Dead Space (PC, PS3, 360) <2008>
    13. Makai Kingdom (PS2) <2005>
    14. Final Fantasy IX (PS1) <2000>
    15. Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard (DS) <2007>

#1 was hard to pick, but I had more fun with Mario Galaxy than any other game in the last decade. I may have spent more time with some others, but they weren't as good, really.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Behemoth wrote: »

Hi5. I put it a bit lower but still very few games have as many hours logged as Lumines.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Behemoth wrote: »

Hi5. I put it a bit lower but still very few games have as many hours logged as Lumines.

Lumines was a serious contender for GotD for me. I even bought the PS3 version!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png