As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Does my monitor need calibration? Or is it just sub-par?

TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The DjinneratorAt the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
Here's a rather trivial question, and I apologize in advance if it's a waste of time: A few months ago, I switched over from using a years-old SyncMaster 912n monitor to a much larger Acer x223w monitor. In terms of screen real-estate, it's so much nicer, plus it has DVI. Being able to get more out of my rig in terms of resolution and FOV is really nice - But there's a problem.

The colors seem ridiculously washed out. When I first got the monitor hooked up, I noticed it was almost ludicrously bright, and since then I've pulled back on the brightness and upped the contrast a bit. It made things a touch nicer, but it didn't fix them. I still use my old monitor with an older computer these days, and when I compare the picture there to the new one, things just don't look as 'rich' on the x223w. Just about every color looks watered down (If I had some method of conveying this visually, I certainly would, but crappy photos probably won't capture what I mean).

I've tried fiddling with the settings manually, but I can't seem to get them right. Does anyone know of a good guide/webpage for monitor calibration? Or is it just that the x223w is rather crude when it comes to displaying colors?

TetraNitroCubane on

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Have you tried reseating the cables? Sometimes stuff like that is just due to a loose plug.

Do you have another computer or laptop you could plug into the monitor to see if you get the same washed out look?

wonderpug on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I tried reseating the DVI cable, and even swapping it out for a new one, but the issues persisted. Testing it with another source is a good idea, though. I'll try hooking it up to my PS3 (older computer is in another building), and seeing what it looks like.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have the same monitor at work and, yeah, it just sucks.

Azio on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Azio wrote: »
    I have the same monitor at work and, yeah, it just sucks.

Blast. Well, this is about what I've found out about it, so thanks for the confirmation, at least. Next time, I'll do more research before investing in a monitor.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    ImDrawingABlankImDrawingABlank Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Adobe, Nvidia, ATI, and Windows 7 all include some pretty fantastic methods to calibrate the colour of your screen on a software level. The Windows 7 method is my personal favourite. I run dual monitors, a 20" LG, and a 24" samsung of different era's and hardware types, both LCD though. It took me about 10 minutes through Windows to get the monitors almost identical in setup, and to a degree I was happier with than any other method I had ever tried.

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Adobe, Nvidia, ATI, and Windows 7 all include some pretty fantastic methods to calibrate the colour of your screen on a software level. The Windows 7 method is my personal favourite. I run dual monitors, a 20" LG, and a 24" samsung of different era's and hardware types, both LCD though. It took me about 10 minutes through Windows to get the monitors almost identical in setup, and to a degree I was happier with than any other method I had ever tried.

Holy cow! I was so obsessed with the monitor's internal settings and the Nvidia control panel that I totally overlooked the Windows 7 calibration. I just ran through that and the colors look much, much nicer. Thanks a ton for the tip!

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    ImDrawingABlankImDrawingABlank Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No problemo :)

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Holy cow! I was so obsessed with the monitor's internal settings and the Nvidia control panel that I totally overlooked the Windows 7 calibration. I just ran through that and the colors look much, much nicer. Thanks a ton for the tip!

I had the exact same issues switching out an older Samsung LCD monitor for a new Acer one. I think it's just the brand in general having poor built-in color correction. Nvidia's setup did a lot of good but it still isn't quite as nice as the old monitor's colors were sans adjustment. It seems especially weak in making blues and greens look anything but pale and sickly.

Raekreu on