As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DSi Recommendations

DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
I just got a new DSi. Making this thread on the browser. tap typing is fun.

What are some must have titles for this beast?

DekuStick on

• Options
    aoeuiaoeui Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are looking for DSi specific recomendations like DSiware stuff? Because I don't think there is a whole lot out there. Although I haven't looked in a long time.
    If your just talking regular games http://slashsignal.wikispaces.com/Nintendo+DS is a great list to start from.

Also, what sort of games do you like?

aoeui on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There are always the obvious titles such as Mario Kart or New Super Mario Bros, or the Zelda titles (though I personally loathe the stylus controls for these DS Zelda games, most people seem to love it).

The games I recommend to everyone are The World Ends With You, Professor Layton 1 and 2, Rhythm Heaven, Pokémon Platinum (if you like Pokémon), Picross DS and Tetris DS if you want to burn time in waiting rooms or stuff like that, and Scribblenauts.

It'd be easier if we knew what sort of games you like, though.

Djiem on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm just looking for anything that's good. I like Mario's and Zelda's and so on. I was also curious about any DSi exclusives. I haven't had a DS in a while and bought this on a whim. I was surprised it had a camera on it when I turned it on.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pokemon Platinum.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Art Style series is pretty good, but DSiWare is pretty shoddy unless I've missed some gems.

Get Rhythm Heaven.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you like platformers, Castle of Magic is pretty fun (500 points). I am also gonna grab Oregon Trail in the near future, because, Oregon Trail. I also have Army Defender - essentially a decent flash game, but fun because it's on the DS and uses the touch screen, and hey, can't beat 200 points. Don't have any experience with the other stuff.

Have you messed around with Flipnote Studio yet? It's a lot more advanced and more fun than I initially expected, especially with the ability to transfer a photo into the animation.

Nintendo Life has DSiWare reviews, if you wanna get a sense of what the games are like past the provided description.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Oregon Trail is well done, but you will be let down. It's insultingly easy.

One caveat is that they DID patch in a Very Hard mode for the iPhone, but I didn't feel like playing it on easy a damn third time to unlock it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, as the thread's here I might as well ask.

Is Kingdom Hearts Whatever The Fuck Number actually good from a pure gameplay standpoint? This coming from someone who hasn't played any other game in the series and doesn't really care too much about Disney ('cept for Pixar) but who enjoys PC ARPGs. I have the newest CC game and don't think its so great mainly because of its lack of active skillset more than anything else.

And yeah, I'm able to put up with/ignore any angsty storyline.

Lord_Mordja on