As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the death of the gaming culture

191011121315»

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ego wrote: »
    Ego wrote: »
    You argued for general homogeneity as a prerequisite of culture on page two, where you also defined culture as a group of people with similar interests and taste.
    I said that a certain level of homogeneity is a requirement for a culture, yes - which is nowhere near the same as 'exactly the same in every way'. I've stated multiple times that there are gradations and degrees.
    You just happen to pare down what you're willing to call culture. You're unwilling to admit that there's an overarching music/sports/gaming culture despite willing to admit that there are many subcultures contained therein that share commonalities, interests, and tastes. And some of those commonalities, interests and tastes are shared with other subcultures. Because you want to be stubborn about the very first thing you wrote in the thread, you're acting like culture is a binary thing when any cultural involvement is a matter of degree.

All you're doing is being a semantic holdout.

Multiple people have also agreed with me that there are no overarching sports/music/movie culture. The fact that there are cultures associated with subgroups of sports/music/movies/games doesn't mean there has to be a culture associated with ALL sports/music/movies/games.

I've also stated that I AM arguing semantics, at least as far as the definition of culture. I've made no bones about this. If you don't want to argue semantics, then feel free to do something else.

Multiple people agree with you? Well damn. Where'd you find multiple people who think the same thing on the internet? More people don't agree with you. If you're going to make an appeal to authority, then the PHD-published books already mentioned by others kind of trump you.

I'm going to ignore your retarded challenge because it's retarded and irrelevant.

If the only arguments you offer can be used to claim that any form of culture isn't actually a culture, then it's your arguments that are retarded, not my 'challenge.'

Ego on
    Erik