As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Electric shock - Urgent

mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Girlfriend just got an electric shock from a fridge. She had water on her hands. She said she felt it go up her right arm, through her body and down the left arm. She seems fine, but is having some minor chest pains. The pain isn't getting worse, and seems to be getting better. There are no burns or outward damage. Is it doctor time? This happened a few hours ago, and she feels fine sans the chest pain.

Is it time for the ER?

mooshoepork on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've gotten static electricity shocks that are so bad my finger hurts for an hour afterwards, but I've not considered going to the doctor for it. Arguably, if anything serious had happened to her, you would know right away -- electricity isn't exactly the kind of thing that acts slowly.

But if your insurance is good and the ER is close and it'll let you sleep at night. I'm not a doctor or electrician.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are you being deliberately obtuse? If she's having chest pain after an electric shock you go to the hospital.

Good grief, man.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm not sure why you haven't already been to the hospital, but you should go now. Chest pain due to electrical shock isn't something that you should mess around with.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, by chest, I don't mean heart. We're both at work. Otherwise I'd be there. She seems fine though. Still chirpy...

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    She's fine. If she wasn't burned, and was able to pull away from the shock, 110 isn't going to do any damage. The pain she's feeling is most likely muscle pain caused when the shock caused her chest to contract. It's the same pain people feel when using those therapy devices that involve passing current through arm and leg muscles.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    We're in candy land (australia) so it's 240 volts AC.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If she was able to pull away from 240 under her own power with no arc burn, she needs to buy a lottery ticket.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also she needs to inform whoever the fridge belongs to that it has a dead short.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's actually our workplace. Massive OH&S issue I'm presuming.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's actually our workplace. Massive OH&S issue I'm presuming.

Um, yes. I'd say get her to a doctor and talk to work about pulling the power for that fridge. In that order.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    GleveGleve Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We have free medical here in Australia. Go to the Er! Medicare!!!

Gleve on
    telcus wrote: »
    !vote for Gleve that was funny that you bandwaggoned yourself mate :)
  • Options
    WalterWalter Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lightly touch her chest. If the pain gets worse, that's muscle pain and shouldn't be too much of a worry. If it doesn't get worse the pain could be a cardiac issue. I have no idea about latent effects of electric shock though so I can't say if she should go to the hospital or not.

Walter on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Remember the 5 most common signs of a heart attack:

1. Chest pain - should feel like pressure, as though someone is sitting on your chest
    2. cool, clammy skin
    3. nausea
    4. shortness of breath
    5. intense feeling of anxiety

That said, there's not really a reason you shouldn't go to the doctor, if it's not going to cost her much/anything.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    If its a workplace shock your GF needs to go to the doctor and get it fully documented regardless - if later health issues (or workplace H&S issues) crop up you'll want that paperwork. She also needs to report the incident to Workcover. Your boss may try and talk you out of it because its a hassle for them. Don't let them do that, its illegal. And apparently, maintaining their equipment is also a hassle, so tough luck for them. They get to fill out some forms.

IIRC you're in NSW, so this would be the relevant website - http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/FAQs/OHSResponsibilities/Notification/pages/qu01_notification.aspx. There's one for each state so if I'm wrong just go googling.

Do you work for like a supermarket or something, or just a small business? If you're an SDA member you should also talk to your union rep about what you should do. I may sound a little gung ho, but this was a significant near-miss incident and people still die in the workplace on a semi-regular basis due to entirely preventable causes. Even in food prep.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    If its a workplace shock your GF needs to go to the doctor and get it fully documented regardless - if later health issues (or workplace H&S issues) crop up you'll want that paperwork.

This.

Even if she ends up fine, she should see a doctor if only to document that this all happened.

Asiina on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If she was able to pull away from 240 under her own power with no arc burn, she needs to buy a lottery ticket.

??? Really? I've been shocked more times than I care to admit over here in Africa and we're on 240. It feels awful but I've never been burned.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

AC electricity is very easy to pull away from. In fact, it often seems to knock you back due to your muscles involuntarily contracting. DC electricty is the one that burns the shit out of you and needs a second person to pull you free.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    If its a workplace shock your GF needs to go to the doctor and get it fully documented regardless - if later health issues (or workplace H&S issues) crop up you'll want that paperwork. She also needs to report the incident to Workcover. Your boss may try and talk you out of it because its a hassle for them. Don't let them do that, its illegal. And apparently, maintaining their equipment is also a hassle, so tough luck for them. They get to fill out some forms.

IIRC you're in NSW, so this would be the relevant website - http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/FAQs/OHSResponsibilities/Notification/pages/qu01_notification.aspx. There's one for each state so if I'm wrong just go googling.

Do you work for like a supermarket or something, or just a small business? If you're an SDA member you should also talk to your union rep about what you should do. I may sound a little gung ho, but this was a significant near-miss incident and people still die in the workplace on a semi-regular basis due to entirely preventable causes. Even in food prep.

Completely this.
    1. You do not have to pay for healthcare. There is no reason not to go, especially for a goddamn electric shock. You should see a doctor.
    2. You want to have gone to a doctor for the paperwork in case work get shifty about it.
    3. Work should have insurance for this kind of thing, so don't feel guilty about costing them money or anything. They should have made sure their shit was safe in any case, and it's not like they have to pay for her seeing a doctor.
    4. See a doctor.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    clearsimpleplainclearsimpleplain Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You seriously need to document this.

clearsimpleplain on
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Work place injuries need to be documented and workplace H&S folks need to be informed.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Go to a doctor, for all you know there could be internal burns.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    She should go to a doctor to get it documented.

That being said, there isn't much middle ground with being electrocuted; typically, you're either just fine, or VERY sure you're not fine.

And 240 is very little. It can kill you, sure, but it's pretty fantastically unlikely.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    It's not the voltage that kills you, it's the current. It can take only 10mA to kill someone.

Injuries at a workplace should always be reported/documented, no matter how much the boss whines or trivial it seems. Numerous people have died unnecessarily on seemingly "safe" jobs because they didn't speak up, refuse unsafe conditions, or had irresponsible management.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The manager made sure a report was filed.

The pain has completely gone away and she says she's fine.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For future reference, contact whatever city or regional ambulance service for the area, and ask them about how the fees for ambulance work.

Here in Manitoba, Canada, to get an ambulance to come to you costs $0, and for the EMT's to do a basic workup is $0. If they want to provide oxygen or take a quick EKG or apply medications, there's a fee, and if opt to get transported to the hospital, it's $300, which in her case would likely have been covered by the Workplace Health and Safety equivalent, and/or an employer who doesn't want to be sued.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Everyone else here has already said it but...

you are in Australia. We don't need to pay for that sort of thing, especially since it happened at work, she can just claim it on workers comp.

And even if you do have to pay a small amount...what's better, saving a few bucks, or having the peace of mind to know that she's okay?

If she has some sort of complications down the line stemming from this, you will hate yourself for not taking a couple hours to go to the hospital or even just a GP.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If she's feeling fine now, mooshoe, she's fine.

Electric shock isn't really something that generally causes "sleeper" injuries; it's not a blow to the head. If you're going to have later complications from it, you usually have immediate complications from it as well (being knocked out, severely burned, your heart stopping, etc.). Thie is coming from a friend who's a nurse. Typically, with electrocution, you're either really fucked up, or just fine; there really isn't much middle ground.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We're in candy land (australia) so it's 240 volts AC.

Also of note - here in the great land of Oz, the phrase "I'm having chest pains" is an instant skip-the-line at most doctors and hospitals. So, no wait + medicare = it's better than NOT going to the doctor.

Also, telling her boss that she has chest pains because of a work related accident = free afternoon off work.

Win win win.

soxbox on
  • Options
    lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    bombardier wrote: »
    It's not the voltage that kills you, it's the current. It can take only 10mA to kill someone.

Just for the sake of clarity it seems to take a bit more than 10mA, AC or DC, to kill you. Judging from the texts cited here, it seems you would need to take a bit more current than 10mA it really get knocked out, apparently 60mA to 70mA is the threshold. I have heard numbers talked about all the time for what would end up killing a human and I am sure it varies for various reasons based upon one's physical chemistry and the conditions of the shock.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    bombardier wrote: »

Just for the sake of clarity it seems to take a bit more than 10mA, AC or DC, to kill you. Judging from the texts cited here, it seems you would need to take a bit more current than 10mA it really get knocked out, apparently 60mA to 70mA is the threshold. I have heard numbers talked about all the time for what would end up killing a human and I am sure it varies for various reasons based upon one's physical chemistry and the conditions of the shock.

Yeah, 10mA causing serious harm would require some pretty unusual circumstances. The number I usually hear is 100 mA being life-threatening. If she's small then even less could potentially be fatal, but under the circumstances there's little chance she got anywhere near that much. The average resistance of the human body is about 100 000 Ohms, though it can go down to as little as 1 000 Ohms when the body is wet. In order to get 70mA, that would require 7 000 Volts, which is a far cry from 240.

So she's probably fine, but seeing as how it's been a day after the accident this is probably a moot point by now. If she hasn't gone to the doctor yet she probably won't.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    If she's feeling fine now, mooshoe, she's fine.

I hate to disagree with Thanny, but this is wrong.

Mario Lemieux played hockey for months with an Atrial Fibrillation and seemed normal, but it was enough of a concern when they discovered it for him to be defibrillated. There are dozens of normal heartbeats possible in any given human, dozens more that are abnormal but not dangerous, and a bunch more that are dangerous. The only way to tell if the heart wound up with an abnormal rythym from a shock is via an EKG.

By the way, I Am Not a Doctor, I'm just a guy who just recert'd his CPR/First Aid/AED Training.

Ruckus on