As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Life/Life [confused foreigner]

AldoAldo Hippo HoorayRegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm all confused! Help! ToT

I am Dutch, so I'm not a native speaker in English, I am well aware my grammar is awkward and I screw up with the passive a lot (which is why I avoid it like the plague. :lol: )

Anyway, even I have my pride! I am confused about the difference between life and live. Yes, I know how to pronounce the words and all, I just have the meaning messed up.

I mean, Live on the telly means something different from live in normal English, right?

So, can someone please help me out here and point out which one is the noun and which one is the verb? :oops:

Aldo on

• Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    live on the telly means: happening right now while live in the other sense means to experience life (or the like)

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So you live your life and not "life your live"?

Also, punctuation and capitals = win.

Aldo on
  • Options
    NPNP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yes, it's "live your life" not "life your live." Live in this case is a verb, and life is a noun, and you would "read your book" not "book your read"--basically the same thing.

Life is a noun, which means the opposite of dead, basically. Something that has an "existence".

Live is one of those weird multiple use words in English. It is a verb when pronounced with a short "i" sound, and it means you are in a state of continuing to have an existence.

Live when pronounced with a long "i" sound is an adjective, which means it's being used to describe something that is happening in real-time. A news broadcast that is happening in real-time would be called a "live broadcast".

Bonus: the plural of life (noun) is lives, pronounced with a long "i" sound.

NP on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Life is a noun. The dictionary defines it as the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally. (among other definitions)

Live can be both a verb, an adverb, and an adjective, depending how it's pronounced.

Live with a long 'i' sound (as in strive, five, dive) can mean currently living (like a circus with live animals -- adjective), or currently occurring (like a live sporting event -- adverb), and several other definitions.

Live with a short 'i' sound (as in this, swim, shiv) means to have life (like "I plan to live well into the next century" -- verb) and also to reside somewhere (like "He lives at 123 Elm Street" -- verb).

Hope this helps.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yah, I was aware what the difference was when pronounced, but I wasn't sure which was which anymore. Thanks for clearing it up, folks~!

Aldo on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You know, I've never really thought about it, but that would be pretty confusing to a non-native English speaker.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie