As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LCD TV for Gaming, but which one?

ben_botben_bot Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I got about 1500 bucks floating around and was thinking about buy an HD LCD TV for gaming. I've looked at a few at Best Buy and Circuit City. I've even contemplated getting the Dell W3707C TV.

I couldn't really find a thread talking about this. So what LCDs are great for gaming? And will I be able to find something excellent in my price range? Is 32" too small? Is 37" as well, for that matter?

PSN: ben_bot
ben_bot on

• ThrillaGorillaThrillaGorilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/

I have been searching for an LCD TV for quite a while, and I've found this site to be a huge help. Personally I am looking at Sharp units, but only because the XBR is out of my $2000 budget. This is the one I have my eye on:

Sharp Aquos 42" 1080P

Best bang for the buck in my opinion.

ThrillaGorilla on
  • Capncrunch7Capncrunch7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    All reviews seem to indicate that this set is a great buy for the price. I looked at it in Fry's the other day, and although it wasn't quite as pretty as the name brand 37 inchers, it cost significantly less and with a little tweaking in the menus it barely looked different at all.

Capncrunch7 on
    XBLA: gogogadgetchris
  • ben_botben_bot Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    All reviews seem to indicate that this set is a great buy for the price. I looked at it in Fry's the other day, and although it wasn't quite as pretty as the name brand 37 inchers, it cost significantly less and with a little tweaking in the menus it barely looked different at all.

This looks very promising. What did you have to tweak to get it to look better?

ben_bot on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ben_bot wrote:

With it only doing HDTV: 480p, 720i, 720p, I'd wait and save a bit more money for AT LEAST 1080i if not 1080P.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • SavedSaved Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Acer 37 inch 1080p for $1199 after $300 rebate

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=009464&cid=MT.753

We have (well had, sold it two days ago). A few of the other stores are gonna have them, and the rebate is through Acer, so anywhere that sells the TV should offer it.

I'll tell you now it's a freaking beautiful TV. We hooked it up to a hometheater pc and put some 1080p quicktime clips on it - I'd get stopped about 4 or 5 times a day by people who had never seen "true HD" content asking my why the picture looked so good.

Saved on
    edited January 2007
    How abouts this! SAMSUNG Black 40" 16:9 8ms HDTV. only 1499! snap!

ben_bot on
    edited January 2007
    theSAVED wrote:
    Acer 37 inch 1080p for $1199 after $300 rebate

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=009464&cid=MT.753

We have (well had, sold it two days ago). A few of the other stores are gonna have them, and the rebate is through Acer, so anywhere that sells the TV should offer it.

I'll tell you now it's a freaking beautiful TV. We hooked it up to a hometheater pc and put some 1080p quicktime clips on it - I'd get stopped about 4 or 5 times a day by people who had never seen "true HD" content asking my why the picture looked so good.

thats really nice too. decisions decisions

ben_bot on
  • homargoodnesshomargoodness Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    the ONLY reason i've not bought a HDTV for gaming yet is because i play a lot of Guitar Hero. Any lag at all will destroy that game but i've yet to see a list of HDTVs with mininal lag. maybe think about this too?

homargoodness on
    homarg00dness.png
    edited January 2007
    the ONLY reason i've not bought a HDTV for gaming yet is because i play a lot of Guitar Hero. Any lag at all will destroy that game but i've yet to see a list of HDTVs with mininal lag. maybe think about this too?

hmm. yeah i remember trying it out at best buy on a flat panel (not sure if it was plasma or LCD). Didn't gabe also figure out a solution to the lag problem when he posted about it on the main page?

ben_bot on
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I play Guitar Hero 2 on my plasma and have pretty much no lag, at least none that keeps me from playing.

Or maybe thats why i can never get better than stars? :shock:

Aretè on
  • Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Plasma_details.asp?chPartNumber=TH-42PH9UK&MFR=Panasonic

it would be foolish to get anything else

(or get it from costco since that means return in store with awesome costco warranty...
    Costco link )

Gotcha Force on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Er, HDTVs don't lag with current-gen video game systems, there were only some older ones that lagged with, say, N64/PSOne and below. But even that has been fixed.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited January 2007
    ben_bot wrote:
    How abouts this! SAMSUNG Black 40" 16:9 8ms HDTV. only 1499! snap!

Or that same TV for $200 less and free shipping!
    I hope this is the same thing

ThrillaGorilla on
    edited January 2007
    http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Plasma_details.asp?chPartNumber=TH-42PH9UK&MFR=Panasonic

(or get it from costco since that means return in store with awesome costco warranty...
    Costco link )

That one appears to have no speakers. But otherwise good find! Resolution is lower than the LCDs though.

ben_bot on
  • GrygonosGrygonos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    2 things:

1. re: wait for 1080i 1080p comment. 1080i is the supposed interlaced equivalent of 720p not 1080p. Subsequently 1080i can often look worse than dog shit compared to 720p. do a little googling to understand the difference between the i and the p

2. re: lag on HDTV

I have a 57" Rear Projection Hitachi CRT. It does not lag on PS2,Xbox,Cube, or Wii. All running component cables through my Onkyo HTiB also (which can sometimes produce lag). I've 5 starred all of GH2 on Hard and 5 starred about 75-80% of expert, so unless I have superhuman spatial transposition powers, I think it works just fine.

Also have a 32" Polaroid LCD Panel in my bedroom. Doesn't lag with the N64 or Dreamcast that are hooked up to it (svideo and composite)

Grygonos on
    edited January 2007

Costco link )

Personally I think it's foolish to get a plasma TV if you plan on gaming a lot. Although burn-in isn't the problem it once was for plasma (just like ghosting is becoming a thing of the past for LCDs), it is still a real concern of mine. The fact that you could play a game that contained a static image (think HUDs or status windows that are always on) and permanently alter your picture is enough to keep me in the LCD camp. Has anyone with an LCD TV with a response time <8ms noticed ghosting because of games like Guitar Hero? I don't play games like this, so there may still be a ghosting problem for game such as these, but I have not looked into it.

I also don't like the fact that because of the half life of the gases used for plasma TVs, the colors will ultimately (many years down the road) start to fade and lose their contrast. Both plasmas and LCDs are expected to last about the same time (~60,000 hours from my research), but only LCDs will stay true to their original picture.

Not trying to start a arguement about which is better, just explaining what I've been reading the past few months about both. If I'm wrong someone please correct me before I drop a misguided $2000.

ThrillaGorilla on
    edited January 2007
    ben_bot wrote:

Costco link )

That one appears to have no speakers. But otherwise good find! Resolution is lower than the LCDs though.

if you are really set on using a 1080p lcd as a monitor for PC games, then yes the 1080p would be good. Plasmas cannot compete with the 1080p sharps in terms of sheer resolution... however when youre sitting normal distance from a 42" plasma (7-8'), it is very hard to see the difference between 720p and 1080p. I prefer a plasma to an lcd when playing my 360, and especially when im watching movies.

the panny 9uk is an amazing tv, but you have to buy an hdmi input which is $150, and then some sort of stand or wallmount. And yes no speakers come with it, the 9uk begs for better sound :P. Its commercial based, but again, its an amazing tv. Fills a niche market.

In fact if i were you i would just get this, its got a great picture, built in speakers, built in stand, built in hdmi..
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HP-S4253-42-Plasma-HDTV/dp/B000ELOQGE/sr=8-1/qid=1168293208/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-2783216-7539267?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

though you might wanna buy it at bestbuy with a 12% off coupon or something and get a nice 3 year warranty on it. Buying a TV is incredibly complicated..

Gotcha Force on
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cloudeagle wrote:

Er, HDTVs don't lag with current-gen video game systems, there were only some older ones that lagged with, say, N64/PSOne and below. But even that has been fixed.

Absolutely false. Large HDTVs do lag and it is quite noticeable on games like Guitar Hero. The lag compensation feature in GH2 does a good job of making up for it though (GH/GH2 are for PS2 only, so this is obviously a problem with current gen consoles).

midgetspy on
    edited January 2007

Costco link )

Personally I think it's foolish to get a plasma TV if you plan on gaming a lot. Although burn-in isn't the problem it once was for plasma (just like ghosting is becoming a thing of the past for LCDs), it is still a real concern of mine. The fact that you could play a game that contained a static image (think HUDs or status windows that are always on) and permanently alter your picture is enough to keep me in the LCD camp. Has anyone with an LCD TV with a response time <8ms noticed ghosting because of games like Guitar Hero? I don't play games like this, so there may still be a ghosting problem for game such as these, but I have not looked into it.

I also don't like the fact that because of the half life of the gases used for plasma TVs, the colors will ultimately (many years down the road) start to fade and lose their contrast. Both plasmas and LCDs are expected to last about the same time (~60,000 hours from my research), but only LCDs will stay true to their original picture.

Not trying to start a arguement about which is better, just explaining what I've been reading the past few months about both. If I'm wrong someone please correct me before I drop a misguided $2000.

image retention isnt a problem for me and ill play rainbow six vegas for 3-4 hours at a time..

either way, you cant go wrong with a 40ish" 1080p lcd tv or a 42" plasma.

Gotcha Force on
  • SynapseSynapse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd consider a DLP set over an LCD/plasma, just because you get a superior picture/size for the price, and you'll get 1080p (though it still isn't "true" 1080p).

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HL-S5687W-1080p-DLP-HDTV/dp/B000F2P2XI/sr=8-2/qid=1168303038/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/104-1755492-2859141?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Otherwise, I've heard nothing but good things about that Panosonic Plasma set suggested above.

Synapse on
    brawl code: 1719-2854-9722
  • astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Synapse wrote:
    I'd consider a DLP set over an LCD/plasma, just because you get a superior picture/size for the price, and you'll get 1080p (though it still isn't "true" 1080p).

Would you elaborate? What do you mean by that? (That's the first I've heard of any such thing.)

Thanks.

astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    astroboy wrote:
    Synapse wrote:

Would you elaborate? What do you mean by that? (That's the first I've heard of any such thing.)

Thanks.
    DLPs lag worse than LCD and plasma.

FreddyD on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm hoping prices come down on the Samsung 32" tvs. I decided on that size and on samsung... and on it being an LCD all in the last week. I don't mind waiting as long as until summer, but I just really hope the prices do come down, I'm just a college kid wanting to spruce up his in-room (not dorm room) gaming situation.

Dad is getting a 50 or so inch samsung dlp as well, probably around april.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Grygonos wrote:
    1. re: wait for 1080i 1080p comment. 1080i is the supposed interlaced equivalent of 720p not 1080p. Subsequently 1080i can often look worse than dog shit compared to 720p. do a little googling to understand the difference between the i and the p
    It's my understanding, especially from Googling, that 1080i looks substantially better still, while fast motion often demands progressive scanning via 720p. Where are you getting that 1080i is dog shit compared to 720p?

Thello on
    edited January 2007
    So im debating between those 2 Samsungs.

The $1,300 40" LCD and $1,360 42" Plasma. When i looked at them at Best Buy, the LCD looked brighter, but a bit washed out. The Plasma looked less washed out but a bit darker as well. Any further help?

ben_bot on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    arcath wrote:
    ben_bot wrote:

With it only doing HDTV: 480p, 720i, 720p, I'd wait and save a bit more money for AT LEAST 1080i if not 1080P.

LCDs don't do 1080i. LCDs don't do interlacing at all. Any interlaced signals recieved are converted to the native resolution at progressive scan. So the only LCD display that could take a 1080i signal and display it without downsampling would be one in 1080p, and those cost lots of money.

Daedalus on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've been using a Westinghouse 37" 1080p lcd for about 3months now after the suggestion of another forumer and I'm extremly happy with it, the colour is awesome, response time is low and great for games, and I use it as my monitor for my pc, with the 120dpi font setting on windows everything is perfectly readable from a few feet away, and the size for a monitor is just joy inducing

I'd suggest taking a look at them if you get the chance, Best Buy should have it on display

Only downside is the lack of an internal tv tuner, but I use a tuner card in my pc so that never bothered me, and if you really need to any old vcr will work just fine to tune tv

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just grabbed a 37" Sharp Aquos from CompUSA last week. I'm pretty happy with it, it's mostly been an Xbox360 display but it does so very well.

I'm still trying to get the right balance of settings though. Does anyone have a good link for properly setting up an HDTV? I know I've seen stuff like that around.

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • Capncrunch7Capncrunch7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just grabbed a 37" Sharp Aquos from CompUSA last week. I'm pretty happy with it, it's mostly been an Xbox360 display but it does so very well.

I'm still trying to get the right balance of settings though. Does anyone have a good link for properly setting up an HDTV? I know I've seen stuff like that around.

Pick up a home theater calibration dvd. Avia makes a fantastic one and you will definitely notice a significant improvement once you use it. It's so much better than fumbling with each setting at random until it looks right.

Capncrunch7 on
    XBLA: gogogadgetchris
  • Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Pick up a home theater calibration dvd. Avia makes a fantastic one and you will definitely notice a significant improvement once you use it. It's so much better than fumbling with each setting at random until it looks right.

Holy crap it's like $50?

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • jivedansonjivedanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Holy crap it's like $50?

Think of it like an oil change for your TV. You can certainly use your TV without it... but at what cost.

jivedanson on
    Wii: 4407 5109 2137 5400
  • El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tuning up your HDTV:

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108543-1.html?tag=main.optimize

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/tutorial/2022/step-by-step-how-to-calibrate-your-hdtv.html

The big adjustments are to turn off all kinds of Noise Reduction and Sharpening, they really really screw up the image in most cases.

Then get the black/white levels and color to your preferences.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Variable wrote:
    I'm hoping prices come down on the Samsung 32" tvs. I decided on that size and on samsung... and on it being an LCD all in the last week. I don't mind waiting as long as until summer, but I just really hope the prices do come down, I'm just a college kid wanting to spruce up his in-room (not dorm room) gaming situation.

Dad is getting a 50 or so inch samsung dlp as well, probably around april.

Same situation, the newer Samsung LCD models presented at CES 2007 seem to have a neater Game Mode. I'll wait and see how that turns out.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg