Options

Back to School and Getting Active

Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen"Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
As some of you know already from the Uncle Sam thread I have recently returned to campus after missing a semester due to commitments with the Army. Coming back a semester later has put me on a terrible disadvantage. Most of my former friends turned tail on me since I returned, the ROTC clique and I haven't really gotten along very well, and others transferred schools or dropped out for various reasons. On returning to school I could literally count all of my friends at school on both hands and have a few fingers left to count. I started to hang out with a few friends I have left, but I honestly feel as if I don't belong to their group. I'm basically athletic, into the party scene, meeting people, etc. Them, quite the opposite. After a quite boring weekend with them I feel as if I need to get out on campus and meet people. Also hoping to meet that special someone out there as well if I'm lucky enough.

Which basically this got me thinking. Its probably that time to get active. I've thought about joining a frat. Greek life is essentially paying for friends and meeting people, right? I've also thought about doing clubs and such, but haven't the idea what to try. I did try a MMA Class, but its late night scheduling interferes with studying. I did an aerobics class on a dare (I was the only guy attending it). I figure its that time to start meeting people on my floor soon. Most of the people don't even know I exist on the floor yet.

I guess what I'm asking overall is this. Is there any recommendations for clubs/activities to do on campus? A year ago I did student government for the dorms. While it was fun and I did meet quite a few friends and even met my first girl friend there. I also did a CTF program on my campus. Up to this date that is where I met most of my friends today at. However, with a foot of snow being on the quad only the "hardcore" players go there at this time. Which is like six people. Plus CTF is HUGE for the first semester, then shrinks in size dramatically within the first month or two. At this time meeting people there is futile. I also did a Medieval Fighting Club as well, unfortunately most of those guys are off their rockers. I wasn't a big fan of being hazed to "join" their club.

Waffles or whatever on

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm in a Fraternity and really the "paying for friends" aspect of it (which I never understood this stereotype) largely depends on the certain chapter of the certain fraternity on campus (you really cannot blanket stereotype a fraternity. Every chapter is usually wildly different). The paying aspect is just paying for perks you would pay for with certain club dues (going on trips, funding shirts/dinners/housing, etc).

That aside, joining a fraternity is a surefire way to get directly involved on campus. Most fraternities are required to get a certain amount of community service hours, they're always doing socials with sororities and formals/semi-formals, and it usually makes homecoming a blast. It also opens a lot of connections within the campus (and easier to get involved with clubs ontop of the Fraternity). Greek life has been an incredibly positive influence on my life and I don't regret it one bit. I really do have a huge pool of people I would consider my best friends.

Then again, Greek life on my campus is pretty well done. At some universities it can be downright adverse and only for party animals. The best thing to do is just check out the fraternities you're interested in and see how they operate (really can only do this pledging/hanging out with them a lot during rush week).

Vladimer on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Waffen wrote: »
    I did an aerobics class on a dare (I was the only guy attending it).

Sounds promising.

You say you're athletic, how about intramural sports? Those are usually good fun no matter what your skill level at said sport.

As far as meeting people, what about people in your classes? You're in the same class so already there's common ground to talk about.

oldsak on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Vladimer wrote: »
    I'm in a Fraternity and really the "paying for friends" aspect of it (which I never understood this stereotype) largely depends on the certain chapter of the certain fraternity on campus (you really cannot blanket stereotype a fraternity. Every chapter is usually wildly different). The paying aspect is just paying for perks you would pay for with certain club dues (going on trips, funding shirts/dinners/housing, etc).

That aside, joining a fraternity is a surefire way to get directly involved on campus. Most fraternities are required to get a certain amount of community service hours, they're always doing socials with sororities and formals/semi-formals, and it usually makes homecoming a blast. It also opens a lot of connections within the campus (and easier to get involved with clubs ontop of the Fraternity). Greek life has been an incredibly positive influence on my life and I don't regret it one bit. I really do have a huge pool of people I would consider my best friends.

Then again, Greek life on my campus is pretty well done. At some universities it can be downright adverse and only for party animals. The best thing to do is just check out the fraternities you're interested in and see how they operate (really can only do this pledging/hanging out with them a lot during rush week).

I really like this post. I'd lime all of it, but that'd be kind of ridiculous.

I was in a fraternity when I was in school. Being in a fraternity was exactly what I needed to break out of my shell and help develop me in to the person I am today. I may not be BFFs with my former fraternity brothers anymore and I don't really believe in that stuff anymore, but being in a fraternity absolutely groomed my sociability.

Also, not every fraternity is like Animal House and you most certainly don't "buy" your friends with your dues.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    oldsak wrote: »

Sounds promising.

:^:

You want to socialize? Being the only guy in the class full of women is a pretty nice spot to be in.

Shamus on
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    oldsak wrote: »

Sounds promising.

You say you're athletic, how about intramural sports? Those are usually good fun no matter what your skill level at said sport.

As far as meeting people, what about people in your classes? You're in the same class so already there's common ground to talk about.

It'll be interesting tomorrow. One of my friend's best friends wants me to go with her to Yoga tomorrow which is immediately after the aerobics class. It'll be interesting.

Regarding Frats. Rush is next week. Suppose I'll check it out too.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also, just a word of advice, stop calling them frats. Every man who is a member of a fraternity believes he is a gentleman and a scholar, and thus, he is not a member of a mere frat but a brother in a noble class of enlightened elites.

Seriously, though, stop calling them frats. It's a weird thing in that social circle that will hurt you more than you think.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also, just a word of advice, stop calling them frats. Every man who is a member of a fraternity believes he is a gentleman and a scholar, and thus, he is not a member of a mere frat but a brother in a noble class of enlightened elites.

Seriously, though, stop calling them frats. It's a weird thing in that social circle that will hurt you more than you think.

Also true. It just makes them think you don't take them seriously/they're from MTV.

Vladimer on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Join a Rock climbing club, if you can do it in your area.

I've recently taken it up and it's a fantastic way to meet people. I did a beginner course and met a couple of people I now go with regularily. I also go on my own when they're not available to do bouldering.

Every time I go down there I'm almost guaranteed to bump in to someone I know. It's a really good social activity, and to boot it's fantastic exercise.

If you're after meeting women, at least where I climb, there's a surprising number. You also get a great view when they're half way up the wall :)

However I get married in 4 months so I shouldn't mention that...

:edit: Just as an added extra, essentially being in a position of absolute trust (If you cock up when belaying the other person gets hurt/dies) cements friendships quite quickly.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I ended up talking to a girl in my math class today after making a silly joke/flirt about men in uniforms. I ended up getting her number and a planned date for Friday. Here's to luck and a start to a better first semester back.

I'll continue to search for intramural programs as well as the "gentleman scholar" scene as well. Till then further input is greatly appreciated.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just be open. Talk to people you don't know and take an interest in whatever it is they want to talk about. Be nice and outgoing and don't be afraid of communicating. You'll build a strong social network as long as you're willing to go out on a limb. You'll find lots of people that you won't find interesting or click with, but you might also find a few people you really connect with for one reason or another.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png