As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Networking With an Aircard

Someguy JohnsonSomeguy Johnson Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so my parents live out in the middle of nowhere and their only internet access is through an Alltel laptop card. Recently they've got it into their head that both of their computers need to be connected to the internet without paying for an extra card so they've decided to setup a network. After purchasing a basic router and setting up internet connection sharing it isn't working. Here is the setup and what they've already done:

Internet>Aircard>Computer 1>Router>Computer 2

Computer 1 is a PC using the Alltel aircard and directly connected to a DLink router via ethernet cable. Computer 2 is connected to the router via wireless connection. Computer 1 is running Windows XP and has ICS enabled, computer 2 is on Windows 7 and has automatic IP enabled. The router has DHCP turned off as computer 1 is doing DHCP as part of ICS. The router ip has been changed to 192.168.0.100 so that there is no IP conflict with computer 1.

What am I missing here? I am not at the same physical location as my parents and am walking them through the process via phone so I cannot directly modify anything and they may have simply done one of these things wrong. Keep in mind that I CANNOT change the architecture of the network as computer 1 and the router cannot move and computer 2 has to be wireless.

Only things I can think of that might need to be changed are DHCP may need to be re-enabled (though it was enabled at the beginning so I doubt that's it) or a static ip may need to be assigned to computer 2.

What did I miss?

[SIGPIC]XBL- TheManAboutTown PS3- someguyjohnson83 Wii- who gives a shit Steam- someguyjohnson[/SIGPIC]
Someguy Johnson on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You've got the right idea with only a single DHCP server and everything, but I'm betting you've got the cable from Computer 1 into the WAN side of the router. You need to have it into the LAN side of the router, with the router essentially acting as a dumb switch.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I actually have had them try both and the internet told me to have them put it in the LAN side so that is where it ended up before we quit trying last night.

Someguy Johnson on
    [SIGPIC]XBL- TheManAboutTown PS3- someguyjohnson83 Wii- who gives a shit Steam- someguyjohnson[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bigbhbigbh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is the gateway on your 2nd machine set to be the ICS machine?

bigbh on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's a little more expensive but you can get a router that actually takes the aircard directly.

Then it's pretty much automatic and good to go, and the router also gets a better signal strength than the laptop/computer alone, unless you're using an external antenna which you could also use with the router for even bigger gain.

And the "internet is down!" won't happen just because they have the other machine off, etc. Lot easier to support from your end.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    bigbh wrote: »
    Is the gateway on your 2nd machine set to be the ICS machine?

I actually don't think it is, I'll make sure to have them do that.

As to the special router setup, I know they exist and it was an option at first but as of now they're not willing to spend any money on this setup otherwise I'd have them buy one and upgrade computer 1 to windows 7.

Someguy Johnson on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What does Windows 7 have to do with anything? :D

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Infidel wrote: »
    What does Windows 7 have to do with anything? :D

Nothing, I just like Windows 7.

Someguy Johnson on