As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Busting the Filibuster

galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
On the heels of the MA Senate election and the growing discontent focused on the Senate, this op-ed in the NYT seems relevant.
ABOUT the Senate, a college professor of mine used to say, “One day, the Supreme Court will declare it unconstitutional.” He was joking, I think.

But the Senate, as it now operates, really has become unconstitutional: as we saw during the recent health care debacle, a 60-vote majority is required to overcome a filibuster and pass any contested bill. The founders, though, were dead set against supermajorities as a general rule, and the ever-present filibuster threat has made the Senate a more extreme check on the popular will than they ever intended.

Lots more at the link. In essence, the argument is thus: rule by supermajority was viewed by the founders (or at least Hamilton in the Federalist Papers) as foolish. “The history of every political establishment in which this principle has prevailed is a history of impotence, perplexity and disorder.” Supermajority rule slows the legislative process, and in effect gives too much power to an intractable minority.

The chief enforcer of the de facto supermajority rule is the filibuster, or more specifically Rule 22 of the Senate, which was adopted in 1975. It makes the filibuster easier to invoke and maintain. It's been the cause of much consternation, to say the least.

The article posits a few ways to overturn Rule 22. They are:
1. Condemnation by the House.
2. An opinion from the sitting VP/President of the Senate questioning the constitutionality of the filibuster. (More likely than you think. He even paraphrases the Federalist Papers.)
3. Grassroots action to turn support of filibusters into a political wedge issue.
4. Supreme Court ruling.

I've heard it floated that there be an expiration date put on Rule 22, say 15 years out so that no one knows which party will reap the benefits.

What do you think about the filibuster? Useful legislative tool for the minority, or overpowered? And if the latter, what would be the most expedient way to resolve the filibuster/supermajority deadlock?

linksig.jpg
galenblade on

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The most famous accomplishment of the filibuster was to delay the 1957 Civil Rights Act.

Its next most famous accomplishment is miring the current healthcare debate in a seemingly interminable process of crippling compromise and procedural gamesmanship.

It is time to get rid of the filibuster. It was never a particularly good idea and has now become a serious threat to the health of the republic.

Hachface on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I too am in favor of abolishing the filibuster. And the 17th amendment for that matter.

However, I can't help but notice how markedly different the general opinion was on this matter when the Republicans offered to get rid of the filibuster back in 2005.

enc0re on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    enc0re wrote: »
    I too am in favor of abolishing the filibuster. And the 17th amendment for that matter.

However, I can't help but notice how markedly different the general opinion was on this matter when the Republicans offered to get rid of the filibuster back in 2005.

I cannot speak to the motivations of anyone else, but I was actually super eager for the Republicans to invoke the "nuclear option" because I knew that some time in the future the Republicans would want to filibuster something.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Good to know. Me too; and I was no fan of the judicial appointments at issue.

Sometimes looking ahead can be good strategy.

enc0re on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are there any organized movements to eliminate the filibuster? Not just general grumbling, but something with some direction?

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are there any organized movements to eliminate the filibuster? Not just general grumbling, but something with some direction?

I don't think so. It hasn't really become a wedge issue yet, for some reason. I suppose with the supermajority, the Dem grassroots hasn't really seen it as an issue worth tackling. With 59 votes now, it may gain more prominence.

There was some talk about it becoming a political issue once Congress pivots from health care to financial reform, as there may be more public support to removing the filibuster if it's used to derail economic issues - something that has a tremendous amount of public support. The two would dovetail. I'm not sure if that was more than speculation, though.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I don't think this one will take a movement. It's a question of parliamentary procedure. Once the "nuclear option" has been invoked (which only takes a simple majority), precedent is set and the filibuster would be unconstitutional.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I don't think this one will take a movement. It's a question of parliamentary procedure. Once the "nuclear option" has been invoked (which only takes a simple majority), precedent is set and the filibuster would be unconstitutional.

*twitch*

That's not how constitutional law works.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The most likely useful product of grassroots online support would be an online petition I suppose. There are a bunch of us here that have followed very closely the process of the 60-vote requirement picking apart the best parts of health care legislation...

What about a statement that outlines not only the current practical political problems with that requirement, but also makes a constitutional case using the will of the framers as an argument? And a historical demonstration of the sharp growth of its use over the last couple decades?

We wouldn't even be all alone in this. Biden has spoken on record against the 60-vote requirement.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Would it be easier for the current Democratic Senate more-Clark-Kent-and-less-super-majority to change the current procedures that make filibustering such an easy option than to abolish it completely?

From what I understand (and I could be quite incorrect), there's no real negative consequence to filibustering for the folks doing the filibuster. It doesn't prevent the Senate from voting on other bills, and the folks doing the filibustering don't have to pull a Mr. Smith and stay awake and speaking for days on end.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What gets my goat is that everyone calls Harry Red "spineless" for not requiring a real filibuster, as opposed to this namby-pamby procedural filibuster. But what possible negative consequences would Reid face for doing this? What exactly is he afraid of?

I suspect the answer is that he is afraid of his corporate contributors.

Hachface on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The most likely useful product of grassroots online support would be an online petition I suppose. There are a bunch of us here that have followed very closely the process of the 60-vote requirement picking apart the best parts of health care legislation...

What about a statement that outlines not only the current practical political problems with that requirement, but also makes a constitutional case using the will of the framers as an argument? And a historical demonstration of the sharp growth of its use over the last couple decades?

We wouldn't even be all alone in this. Biden has spoken on record against the 60-vote requirement.

Biden is one of the few individuals who could claim standing that rule 22 is unconstitutional. He is one of the only individuals who could bring a case against Reid, eventually to be taken to SCOTUS, to find that the supermajority requirements of the new filibuster are unconstitutional.

Of course, never in a million years would he do this.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hachface wrote: »

*twitch*

That's not how constitutional law works.

Citing Wikipedia, the source of all human knowledge:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The nuclear option is used in response to a filibuster or other dilatory tactic. A senator makes a point of order calling for an immediate vote on the measure before the body, outlining what circumstances allow for this. The presiding officer of the Senate, usually the vice president of the United States or the president pro tempore, makes a parliamentary ruling upholding the senator's point of order. The Constitution is cited at this point, since otherwise the presiding officer is bound by precedent. A supporter of the filibuster may challenge the ruling by asking, "Is the decision of the Chair to stand as the judgment of the Senate?" This is referred to as "appealing from the Chair." An opponent of the filibuster will then move to table the appeal. As tabling is non-debatable, a vote is held immediately. A simple majority decides the issue. If the appeal is successfully tabled, then the presiding officer's ruling that the filibuster is unconstitutional is thereby upheld. Thus a simple majority is able to cut off debate, and the Senate moves to a vote on the substantive issue under consideration. The effect of the nuclear option is not limited to the single question under consideration, as it would be in a cloture vote. Rather, the nuclear option effects a change in the operational rules of the Senate, so that the filibuster or dilatory tactic would thereafter be barred by the new precedent.

Emphasis mine. It is my understanding that the nuclear option is a Senate finding declaring the filibuster unconstitutional. Please correct me.

enc0re on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    KalTorak on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The nuclear option is used in response to a filibuster or other dilatory tactic. A senator makes a point of order calling for an immediate vote on the measure before the body, outlining what circumstances allow for this. The presiding officer of the Senate, usually the vice president of the United States or the president pro tempore, makes a parliamentary ruling upholding the senator's point of order. The Constitution is cited at this point, since otherwise the presiding officer is bound by precedent. A supporter of the filibuster may challenge the ruling by asking, "Is the decision of the Chair to stand as the judgment of the Senate?" This is referred to as "appealing from the Chair." An opponent of the filibuster will then move to table the appeal. As tabling is non-debatable, a vote is held immediately. A simple majority decides the issue. If the appeal is successfully tabled, then the presiding officer's ruling that the filibuster is unconstitutional is thereby upheld. Thus a simple majority is able to cut off debate, and the Senate moves to a vote on the substantive issue under consideration. The effect of the nuclear option is not limited to the single question under consideration, as it would be in a cloture vote. Rather, the nuclear option effects a change in the operational rules of the Senate, so that the filibuster or dilatory tactic would thereafter be barred by the new precedent.

Emphasis mine. It is my understanding that the nuclear option is a Senate finding declaring the filibuster unconstitutional. Please correct me.

Yeah. And if there's anything to go nuclear over, it's this.

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

Oh... god... those comments. They're so horrible. Here's one example:

"G-d didn’t create homo’s either, but we have put up with you."

Edit: My god, the level of anti-gay hate in those comments is maddening. I really would love to meet one of those people in person, so I could punch them right in the face.

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    With enough federal funding the stem cell research and so forth, it may be possible to clone Barney Frank

We should get right on this

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Not to be lolcynacism or anything but the filibuster increases each senators individual power, therefore it seems like they each have a strong incentive to keep the status quo.

Neaden on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Honestly, I prefer a Senate that does nothing. I'd rather keep the filibuster the way it is. The nice thing is that it will never go away, as a minority party would have to willingly give it away. Doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When the "nuclear option" came up a few years ago, the idea seemed dangerous. Obviously the reasons for it then and now are different, as are the majority parties, but overall it might be best to modify it moderately.

A minority party shouldn't be allowed to continuously block legislation, especially since it is obvious that the current Republicans, and those that inspired this New York Times 1995 editorial, have no intention of allowing the Democrats to do any sort of actual governance.

On the other hand, the Senate is given a great responsibility in vetting judicial and other nominees. I believe parties of either side should be able to filibuster nominees since a candidate's impact will be far beyond a simple up-down vote.

It's amazing how the sides have switched over the past 5 years.

thanimations on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Honestly, I prefer a Senate that does nothing. I'd rather keep the filibuster the way it is. The nice thing is that it will never go away, as a minority party would have to willingly give it away. Doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.

Apparently it only takes a simple majority to remove it. Also, this kind of thinking is really bad. How can we ever improve anything if nothing ever gets done? We will just stagnate. In other democracies they can actually see the results of the legislation by the people they elected and act accordingly. In the US we don't see any results, then we get pissed and vote for the other side, in which we either don't see any results and get pissed again, or see wildly reactionary results. Our system is set up so that only short sighted populism prevails.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lizard wrote: »
    Joe Biden in 2010: "As long as I have served, I've never seen, as my uncle once said, the Constitution stood on its head as they've done. This is the first time every single solitary decision has required 60 senators. No democracy has survived needing a supermajority."

Joe Biden in 2005: "At its core, the filibuster is not about stopping a nominee or a bill, it's about compromise and moderation. The nuclear option extinguishes the power of independents and moderates in the Senate. That's it, they're done. Moderates are important if you need to get to 60 votes to satisfy cloture; they are much less so if you only need 50 votes. Let's set the historical record straight. Never has the Senate provided for a certainty that 51 votes could put someone on the bench or pass legislation."

Everything is terrible when it the other side doing it to you, fucking hypocrites.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When the "nuclear option" came up a few years ago, the idea seemed dangerous. Obviously the reasons for it then and now are different, as are the majority parties, but overall it might be best to modify it moderately.

A minority party shouldn't be allowed to continuously block legislation, especially since it is obvious that the current Republicans, and those that inspired this New York Times 1995 editorial, have no intention of allowing the Democrats to do any sort of actual governance.

On the other hand, the Senate is given a great responsibility in vetting judicial and other nominees. I believe parties of either side should be able to filibuster nominees since a candidate's impact will be far beyond a simple up-down vote.

Actually if you read the article you'll find that the Democrats have a good reason to be allowed to block legislation, as they represent states which have the majority of the US population.

Honestly what we need is two fold.

i) The idea from the first article. Every time you block a bill, it will be harder to block it next time. Decreasing votes required to pass it by x.
    ii) Remove the idea of two senators per state. Instead assign each state one senator per 3 million people, rounded up. So California gets 13, Texas gets 7, Virginia 3, Missisipi 1 etc. It's absurd to have it nowadays when the senate is so powerful. Both houses should be representative of population, since they both have a defined job.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The filibuster is great idea that fails when the minority party realizes that they can use it on EVERY SINGLE THING the majority tries to do. I'm only surprised it took senators a couple hundred years to realize they could use it like that.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You know what would be a really interesting change to the US Senate?

Everyone can agree that the filibuster is an incredibly broken rule. It forces the requirement for a supermajority for any highly 'controversial' (not really controversial considering the massive public support for a public option) bill.

So, instead of having the filibuster just stop the senatorial process dead in its tracks, why not modify the rule such that if 40 Senators wish to block the passing of a contentious bill, they are forced to draft an alternative bill, and the majority and minority bills are compared and brought into alignment through an impartial binding arbitration team?

Robman on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You know what I'd love to see?

EVERYBODY GETS ONE.

You get one filibuster per term. It may work, it may not work. Pick your issue wisely.

Or more than likely, always be saving it just incase, and then no one ever uses it, which is fine by me.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    @enc0re

Wow, that is an unbelievably arcane process.

Nevertheless I am pretty sure that no matter what the Senate votes about it, the Supreme Court has the ultimate authority to decide constitutionality. None of the Senate procedures are described in the Constitution, but judicial review is. The "nuclear option" is essentially a binding vote declaring that the Senate will go along with the president of the Senate's opinion of the filibuster's constitutionality; this vote would still be subject to judicial review if anyone with standing to bring a suit did so.

Hachface on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    You know what I'd love to see?

EVERYBODY GETS ONE.

You get one filibuster per term. It may work, it may not work. Pick your issue wisely.

Or more than likely, always be saving it just incase, and then no one ever uses it, which is fine by me.

It's thinking like that that has me beat games with so many temporary boost items in my inventory!

I like it.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Alternatively, invoking the filibuster causes an immediate confidence vote in the Senate on the judgment of the Senator, and if they find their judgment lacking, they are returned to their home state for a vote of confidence by their riding.

Want to block a major bill? You'd better be doing so with the support of your electorate.

Robman on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We'll call it "The Fallout Grenade Resolution".

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I prefer the Friday Night Firefight rules of the Senate.

To up the ante, invoking the filibuster should also strip the Senator of all their seniority, which will provide a real and tangible cost. To make things interesting, only the 5 most senior members of a party may invoke the filibuster or something like that, to stop the freshman Senators getting routinely assigned bitch duty.

Robman on
  • Options
    XyadXyad Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think part of the idea here too is the a filibuster can happen if every single one of the minority party members are against a piece of legislation -- it seems like a fairly uncommon occurrence that there are no people voting with "the other side" at all. This entire attitude of all or nothing is so toxic to our legislative process that you wonder if we need to have some kind of national intervention with ourselves... acknowledge that yes, people on "the other side" are also human beings and when you get this bitter hatred in competition out of the way we can rationally debate something based on what it is, not who's proposing it (for a change).

Right now all I hear is name calling, disgust, misinformation, delusion, and willful ignorance.

Xyad on
  • Options
    XyadXyad Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also, about the senate becoming a by-population vs. by state seating -- while I'm sure it's up for debate, I don't think that's the point of statehood in general. States are entities in themselves, members of a union, not just a boxed up percentage of the country's population.

Xyad on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Xyad wrote: »
    Also, about the senate becoming a by-population vs. by state seating -- while I'm sure it's up for debate, I don't think that's the point of statehood in general. States are entities in themselves, members of a union, not just a boxed up percentage of the country's population.
    In any sane country, the house that was modeled anti-democratically would be the lower of the two. And likely exist purely as a rubber stamp on the other.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Of course, there'll always be a senator with an ultra-safe seat who can continually take the non-confidence votes. Maybe if everyone who voted for a successful filibuster got 1% of their votes docked in the next elections?

All this said, have the Republicans actually invoked a filibuster on anything other than the HC bill? I'm Canadian, so I'm not paying all that much attention to it, but if it's just one (very wide-ranging) bill then this seems like the perfectly logical place for a filibuster, as they're supposed to force a compromise on extremely controversial bills. If they filibuster every single bill they don't like, then yeah, something has to be done, though.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Xyad wrote: »
    In any sane country, the house that was modeled anti-democratically would be the lower of the two. And likely exist purely as a rubber stamp on the other.

Yes and No. The Canadian Senate has routinely gone against the wishes of the sitting government, despite who was in the government at the time, to temper bills and generally act as a damper on contentious issues. They're a real 'conservative' body in that they conserve the current state of the law, acting as "Sober, Second Sight".

The problem is more one of institutional philosophy, the Senate is as politically charged as the Congress in America, which means that effectively you just have two Congresses, except one grants much more power to individual members.

Robman on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    tbloxham wrote: »
    ii) Remove the idea of two senators per state. Instead assign each state one senator per 3 million people, rounded up. So California gets 13, Texas gets 7, Virginia 3, Missisipi 1 etc. It's absurd to have it nowadays when the senate is so powerful. Both houses should be representative of population, since they both have a defined job.

What would be the point of the senate if you did that? At that point why not just move to a unicameral system...I mean aside from the fact that either change would first require convincing the bulk of the midwest that California and New York really do have their best interests at heart.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    edited January 2010

What would be the point of the senate if you did that? At that point why not just move to a unicameral system...I mean aside from the fact that either change would first require convincing the bulk of the midwest that California and New York really do have their best interests at heart.

I've heard a lot of arguments that California is a good predictor of what other states will pass into law within 5-10 years. Things like emission caps on cars, legalization of the mary-J etc.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Regardless, it won't happen. That would require a constitutional amendment which requires 2/3rds of the senate.

So it won't happen.

Melkster on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Robman wrote: »

I've heard a lot of arguments that California is a good predictor of what other states will pass into law within 5-10 years. Things like emission caps on cars, legalization of the mary-J etc.

Bankruptcy levels of debt

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png