As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Please go ahead and recommend a gaming lcd monitor

Dustan GrimesDustan Grimes Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
Hi, please recommend a gaming lcd monitor brand/model of your choice. Many monitors are on the market, but I would like a kick-ass gaming monitor. Please let me know if you have/can recommend a favorite lcd monitor. Also, please, don't be a dick (i.e., recommend a lame monitor in order to be funny: that's not being funny that's being a dick...) Thanks.

Dustan Grimes on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hi, please recommend a gaming lcd monitor brand/model of your choice. Many monitors are on the market, but I would like a kick-ass gaming monitor. Please let me know if you have/can recommend a favorite lcd monitor. Also, please, don't be a dick (i.e., recommend a lame monitor in order to be funny: that's not being funny that's being a dick...) Thanks.

You might try posting in the Hardware sub-forum or in Help/Advice. This is more for actual gaming.

Esh on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I use an ASUS PW-191 for my PS3, PC and 360. It's always been awesome, but it (for some reason) doesn't support low resolutions properly through VGA - I can't play DVDs through my PS3, and PS1 games are visible but with a giant NOT IN RANGE symbol over the screen.

It's taken everything my PC and 360 have thrown at it masterfully, though.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020%2050001146&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=REVIEWS

Either one of those top 2. There's a reason they have such a huge number of orders/reviews and why they both won a Customer Choice Award.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020%2050001315%201301919996%201310521415&name=ASUS

The top few Asus monitors are also very highly ranked. I cannot, in good faith, recommend either due to their resolution. Once you step foot over the 1680x1050 resolution line, you're going to need to start spending a LOT more over time for your graphic cards to play the best games at high scores.

With a ~22" monitor, around 1680x1050, you can easily hold a GPU for 2 years and still get good FPS on high settings. A 24" monitor, however, is going to need an upgrade every 12 months or so if you want to keep things at high/very high for new games.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Eh, if you care enough about graphics to set all new games to high/very high then you'll appreciate the better picture 1920x1200 gives you anyway.

My recommendation would probably be the NEC EA231WMI. IPS, sRGB, 23" 1080p monitor. I've read the manual and aspect ratio controls seems nice. From the very few reviews I read it should have low input lag and little ghosting (but do read a few reviews yourself), only thing preventing me from buying one (I have two 24" monitors I don't like, one TN and one wide gamut) is its somewhat small size.

HP is supposed to be releasing a 24" IPS sRGB monitor soon, if the NEC doesn't sound tempting to you I'd wait for that. Judging by the LP2475w it should probably be a very nice monitor (the LP2475w's only flaws are wide gamut and poor quality control).

Both are probably a bit expensive, but your monitor really isn't where you should be saving money.

Zell on
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Randomly, related, I'm slightly annoyed by the way monitors have gone to the true HD resolution (1920x1080) instead of sticking around at the more typical widescreen (1920x1200)....seems like I would have less gaming space, through really it could just be me...

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Zell wrote: »
    Eh, if you care enough about graphics to set all new games to high/very high then you'll appreciate the better picture 1920x1200 gives you anyway.

Sure, you'll appreciate it.

Your GPU, and your wallet that will need to continue upgrading said GPU, will not appreciate it.

The jump from 1680x1050 to 1920x1200 is big. 1764000 pixels vs 2304000 pixels, or a difference of 540,000 pixels.

Compare that to the MULTIPLE jumps from XGA 1024x768 to SXGA 1280x960, which is only a difference of 442368 (again, for multiple jumps XGA -> WXGA -> SXGA).

Look at the data and you'll realize that increases in monitors have an exponential increase in pixels. GPU's, however, have enjoyed only linear growth. If you make the jump from 22" to 24", you WILL be paying for it far more than just the cost of a new GPU.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sorry, that should read "you WILL be paying for it far more than the cost of a bigger monitor".

That said, if you have the disposable income to keep up with your GPU upgrades and you're enough of a gaming enthusiast to need the top settings - then I whole-heartedly recommend getting a 24" or 1080p monitor. You'll definitely enjoy it.

TekDragon on