As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Corporate America, Or, Everything you believe has been sold to you

• Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Houn wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »
    The problem isnt feeling entitled to walking in and making cash...

There is an feeling of deserving somewhat of a shot and not every job requiring 5-8 years of experience.

The problem is, we need to spend that 80k to do what people 20 years ago could just decide they wanted to. The education just gets us in the door at an entry level. Yes, you're probably completely screwed if you didnt have that education to get that entry level spot. But our parents and grandparents didnt have that problem. They didnt have to start off their adult lives at -80k. When you look at it that way, its understandable our generation is a little peeved.

I think it's more the younger generation feels entitled to a job a fucking trained monkey couldn't do.

There are very few jobs available that require any actual creativity or thought. And funnily enough, the least creative jobs go to the Uneducated and the Overeducated (ie - people with useless University degrees).

Or, perhaps the better way to approach the problem is to look at what has changed in our culture and society that requires a college education in order to get a decent job.

A good place to start is in education standards (numbers) and looking at who benefits.

The loss of manufacturing, I'd guess. Define "decent job".

Loss of manufacturing is a good place to start.

But that was a product of then end of the Cold War, which necessitated that the US come to terms with a new national set of priorities and goals. The search for "new markets" led to cheap, cheap labor. At the same time the US had to redefine itself on the national stage, so we co-opted the education movement. It took ten years, but all of a sudden higher ed was on the rise as a priority.

This created newly exploitable markets in ed loans, education itself (look at private universities from 1980-2005!), and a slew of other means by which the US could define itself against an opposing, opposite force. Cultural and social norms had to be adjusted, as well.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Talleyrand wrote: »
    Comparing economic systems by studying different cultures or nations seems like a useful practice but the fact is that there are no longer any cultures or nations around that either aren't capitalistic or affected by capitalism.

People in developing countries can't go back to living in their "mudhuts" since America has been exporting cheap food for decades now. It's no longer profitable to continue farming and having them become dependent on us for their way of life definitely has it drawbacks like the food crisis that happened when we stopped importing cheap crops and decided to use a lot of our excess corn to make ethanol.

What I'm proposing is that instead of exploiting other nations for their exports we begin to pay them a reasonable price for them and help in building sustainable infrastructure since I'm sure there's a profit in it.

And in a lot of ways, exactly. Let's move our power toward the profitable, but less profitable, act of spreading our obscene standard of living.

In fact, it actually won't lower the standard here in this country.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    psychotix wrote: »
    Capitalism is good. There's probably a way to do it without fucking everyone over though. The solution to finding this is not to destroy advanced societies which have concepts of social justice within the framework already, it's to disabuse ourselves of the notion that there's no other way to get there.

The reality hit's even harder at home. Our push for education is nonsensical. People with an education already feel way to entitled here to walking into the job market and making cash.

I keep hearing that our culture is entitled as shit, mostly the young people, but from my point of view its the boomers that are entitled fuckwads at this point, because they worked hard so its fine letting everything else burn as long as their retirement and health care are secure.

It is mostly young people. All the college kids we hire start bitching that they should be paid more, and they want to be creative and woe is them. Well, you have dick for experience. When you have the experience you will get the better job. Going to school is fine, but you have dick for work experience.

Which is one of the reasons I joined the military, and jumped straight into the market and am dealing with school later.

psychotix on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Capitalism is good. There's probably a way to do it without fucking everyone over though. The solution to finding this is not to destroy advanced societies which have concepts of social justice within the framework already, it's to disabuse ourselves of the notion that there's no other way to get there.

The reality hit's even harder at home. Our push for education is nonsensical. People with an education already feel way to entitled here to walking into the job market and making cash.

I keep hearing that our culture is entitled as shit, mostly the young people, but from my point of view its the boomers that are entitled fuckwads at this point, because they worked hard so its fine letting everything else burn as long as their retirement and health care are secure.

It is mostly young people. All the college kids we hire start bitching that they should be paid more, and they want to be creative and woe is them. Well, you have dick for experience. When you have the experience you will get the better job. Going to school is fine, but you have dick for work experience.

Which is one of the reasons I joined the military, and jumped straight into the market and am dealing with school later.

The joke is that most of them will never get paid more, nor will they ever be creative.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

The joke is that most of them will never get paid more, nor will they ever be creative.

Well, screw them for thinking they could be more than an automaton monkey in a cage!

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I know, it's ultra funny. Because instead of working hard and going into an engineering field, they all go back to school for the masters and then end up doing mostly the same thing with a masters. It's comical.

Unless you are going into engineering, law, or medicine, all your college is bullshit. In the end, it's the amount of ass you kiss that will move you up and get you the better job. So you better get on your knees and start licking some anus ASAP, and prepare to that for years to even have a chance. :lol:

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Well, screw them for thinking they could be more than an automaton monkey in a cage!

But college is not the way to do that. Outside of a select few vocations, again law, eng, medicine, you will end up a fucking monkey in a cage and your degree is the fastest way to end up there.

psychotix on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm glad I got an AAS degree at a community college for free. I got a lot out of it and had nothing to regret.

MKR on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is because jobs that require creativity don't pay shit. The only reason you have a job is because we haven't developed a robot that can do it yet. Or it's infeasible to ship it to India.

Houn on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is because jobs that require creativity don't pay shit. The only reason you have a job is because we haven't developed a robot that can do it yet. Or it's infeasible to ship it to India.

I'll be the guy running the robot's backend. <3 networking

MKR on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    MKR wrote: »

I'll be the guy running the robot's backend. <3 networking

I work in IT as well!

Most of the people where I work, come from extremely expensive private schools. Guess what Miss Yale, you're ass is still preparing chairs for meetings your boss will give. If you stick around for 15 years getting shat on, you one day might be that boss, but there are about 50 of you fools competing for that position.

Me, I'll still be doing my IT thing and watching movies in the data center not giving a damn!

psychotix on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I know, it's ultra funny. Because instead of working hard and going into an engineering field, they all go back to school for the masters and then end up doing mostly the same thing with a masters. It's comical.

Unless you are going into engineering, law, or medicine, all your college is bullshit. In the end, it's the amount of ass you kiss that will move you up and get you the better job. So you better get on your knees and start licking some anus ASAP, and prepare to that for years to even have a chance. :lol:

This is a really horrible opinion.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I have an engineering degree and I need to say that your opinion is actually incredibly idiotic. Good job, silly goose.

Not everyone is cut out to be an engineer, in the same way I'm not cut out to be a florist or an accountant or a writer or an artist or any other career out there that adds enrichment/benefits to my life and society at large.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I have an engineering degree and I need to say that your opinion is actually incredibly idiotic. Good job, silly goose.

Not everyone is cut out to be an engineer, in the same way I'm not cut out to be a florist or an accountant or a writer or an artist or any other career out there that add enrichment, or benefits, to my life.

But writing is easy and only an idiot majors in English.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

Not everyone is cut out to be an engineer, in the same way I'm not cut out to be a florist or an accountant or a writer or an artist or any other career out there that add enrichment, or benefits, to my life.

Yeah!

Moronic English majors!

*hides*

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yeah!

Moronic English majors!

*hides*

hi5

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I took it to the next level; I have a graduate degree in English.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yeah, I'm working on that.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are people here seriosuly sugesting that a degree in the humanities will leave you worse off then not having a degree. Because the reality of the working world really doesn't back you up here.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

*envy*

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    But writing is easy

The fact that you think what most people produce qualifies as "writing" and not "monkey poop smears" shows how little you understand.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

*envy*

Actually, that's the stage I'm at too.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Are people here seriosuly sugesting that a degree in the humanities will leave you worse off then not having a degree. Because the reality of the working world really doesn't back you up here.

While I think my degree made me a better person, I think it's definitely making things a bit harder for me.

I wouldn't trade it for the world though.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    But writing is easy

The fact that you think what most people produce qualifies as "writing" and not "monkey poop smears" shows how little you understand.

I have a B.A. in English and was being sarcastic.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    But writing is easy

Sadly most of your fellow English majors are just writing restyled plagiarized poop smears. :(

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    But writing is easy

Sadly most of your fellow English majors are just writing restyled plagiarized poop smears. :(

And the one with the most plagiarized poop smear gets a movie deal.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    But writing is easy

By my senior year I'd say english major only classes were filled with brilliant people. But you're sorta right - there were some english majors who graduated with a degree and were kinda bad at developing their own style.

Non majors can do pretty well in classes not geared solely to english majors. They absolutely flounder in anything else though.

Lack of thinking about anything other than the obvious and writing in cliche ways.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    But writing is easy

Pretty much. But that's a larger issue concerning the immediate crisis and future of literature in the face of mass-production/distribution.

This problem has been my life for a long time, now.

Try being a poet.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Poetry is in a terrible awful slump.

Most of the people who are into it these days are terribly awful at it.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

The market for short stories is dead.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, slam poetry is where it's at.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Slam is a mimicry of capitalist forms and is, perhaps, the most reactionary form of poetry to grace our bookshelves in decades.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I've been to a lot of poetry slams. I do not care to go again.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

The market for short stories is dead.

Those too.

I'm pretty annoyed at the whole "-logy" novel meme and how it has narrowed the hell out of the market.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Really, poetry is owned by rap these days.

Goddammit.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's the medium of the streets.

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Really, poetry is owned by rap these days.

Goddammit.

No, I think you're thinking of poetry jams.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's the medium of the streets.

It's the medium of an aeconomical form attempting to push itself into market-space.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Namely, that we now have a mass-production consumer culture that is objectifying and killing off the middle class. namely, that the market has replaced the "bosses" as a reflection in discourse to the working class.

What do you mean by this?

The second question is me being a theory-wanker. Namely, that older Marxist distinctions of bosses vs. labor is not longer applicable in our current context. Instead we have a mass-production consumer culture in which everyone is just as screwed as labor was in the 19th century, just in a different way. Like how the financial industry relies on making money from more money, our market focuses on exploiting consumption from all social walks of life in order to continue to expand and consume. "New markets", in the traditional sense, are no longer the areas of capital's expansion. Instead capitalism co-opts the "green movement" and "animal cruelty" as a marketable, consumable expansion of the market.

This is pretty important not to understate. Classic Marxist theory works on the worker vs. boss dichotomy. You are a cog in a machine, and there's someone who operates that machine who is far above you.

It doesn't work like that anymore. Everyone is a cog of one size or another, and the machine isn't the construct of a higher power but an overarching system that comprises many smaller machines, each of which is not necessarily headed by a distinct entity.

This leads to an immense and unguided frustration amongst workers, who now lack the ability to focus their anger toward their bosses and must instead accept that being stepped on is just how life works.

At least Marxism could postulate some solutions to the malaise of the proletariat (overthrow the bourgeoisie!) as unlikely as they might be. The world we're in now offers no such simple solutions other than total anarchy, a complete dismantling of the system. And let's face it, nobody wants that. It'd suck a whole lot more.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    And because this thread needs a little levity (as a fellow English major I have the sudden urge to drink heavily) I offer this:

motivation03.jpg

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png