As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Valentine's Day Gift Idea / Sweet Gift for the SO

4U2NV4U2NV Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just did a search and looked at some past threads about this topic.

Anyone give / recieve any awesome gifts or have any awesome plans? Looking for something to do / give to the SO.

Would love to hear some success stories...

4U2NV on

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It would help if you told us something about your SO. Likes, dislikes, past gifts that have/haven't worked, etc.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Maybe something homemade?

Uhh.. going out to dinner and a movie, a dozen roses, a card etc... maybe something fun you both like to do like roller skating or ice skating ...

msmya on
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, ambiguity isn't the way to get specific advice. Do I infer sweet as "oh, how sweet of you" or as "those are some sweet new rims you got me"?

Granted, for some people new rims would be viewed in the former interpretation rather than the latter.

Fancy dinner usually works well, whether it's at a restaurant or home cooked. Typically can't go wrong with champagne, candle light, and sexy music. A 6 pack of PBR tall boys and a jumbo box of condoms might not go over so well.

Raekreu on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's cliche, but I've had good luck with scavenger hunts, especially ones that take you and her to romantic places or locales relevant to your dating past

Just make sure the payoff/final destination is worth it

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It depends how much you know about her. For example, a necklace/bracelet/ring might seem cliche and overdone, but if you know what she likes, you can really be a winner with something like that. Otherwise, it can get put in a drawer and never looked at again.

Is she a gamer? Can you do something with a theme of the kind of game she likes? Or a book? Hiding something within something else is always a winner too. Buy 2 copies of her favourite book in a special edition, cut out the middle of one and hide a rose or a pendant or something - then give her that one first. (Then the second non-cut book just in case she really wanted the book.)

There are so many cool things you can do, you should really post a list of everything you know she likes. (Not THINK she likes.)

For a past beau, I had a puzzle made (of a portal drawing), put it into a small box, and then put the box inside a chocolate cake (with blue and orange smarties on top in "portals". Just an idea. He seemed to like it, and I like to think it was memorable. Making it definitely was, and remember, the day is ALSO for you.

mully on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The most memorable ones are the ones that are the most personal.
    Go ahead and get her a rose or something, but you should really try to pick something out for her tastes. Everyone gives their SO a box of chocolates and flowers. Valentines Day is a special day so you should get her something more special than ordinary.

You love this person and you obviously want to show how much she means to you right? So get her something special that would mean something special to her. Something she would jump up and down and cry and give you a big old hug for.

I've never actually had a relationship going on in the past during Valentines Day so I don't have any previous experiences to share. But I am a lady so I know a thing or two about being a lady. :D

Flowers and chocolates are always nice, but don't let those be the main gift. Especially if this is your first Valentines Day with her. Homemade stuff like what was mentioned before is always great, but not everyone likes the cigarette holder you made at a pottery class so if it is homemade, make sure it's something nice that she would like. If you wouldn't want the gift, she probably won't either. The thought does count, but not that much.

You could just romance her with some cheap red candles from a dollar store candles and music and call it a day, you don't have to buy her a damn thing! Just so long as it's something nice and romantic and something that she will remember for a long time, you've done well.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If I could lime the entire above post with out blinding people, I would.

Now, I don't really have much experience with Valentines day, as nobody has ever done anything for me on it, but I can say that if you put even a little bit of thought into it, it really can't go wrong. It's kind of a silly holiday, and you should treat your SO with love anyway, but it's nice to do something on it, regardless.

Also, to lazily quote JoshofAllTrades, Scavenger hunts are hells of fun if she/he likes that sort of thing. If you're artistic, make them something, not everything has to be bought.

Edit: But yeah, what does your SO like? It'd be easier to help out if we knew these things.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DIY, DIY, DIY. And not with glitter paint either.

Seriously the best gifts are the ones you make your SO because the thought and care that go into them will make his/her heart melt and you simply cannot buy those kinds of gifts.

Gifts I've given that were great: You might need some history for this one, but one year I gave Scott a bound copy of my diary entries pertaining to him from when we first met (I was 16, so that was a considerable amount of paper!). Last year I gave him a book filled with funny pictures of us from when we were kids together, complete with a sardonic storyline that I made up to match them. He thought it was hilarious and it was really touching.

Gifts I've gotten that were great: A couple years back Scott made me customized techno music that he composed using midi programs he'd found online. I have it on every MP3 player I own. He also has made me a variety of electronic gadgets and designed useful programs for me for my comp/bb.

Basically, we use our artistic strengths to make stuff for each other. Mine is writing, while his is more tech related. Use your talents, the very talents that s/he finds attractive in you, to make him/her something s/he would like. You don't have to agonize for hours over it, but a couple hours a few days beforehand wouldn't hurt. I know, it's hard to think of stuff and then it sometimes hard to make it, but the time and effort you put in will be rewarded. It's not like you have to make some kind of masterpiece, just something that basically says "I love you."

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mully wrote: »
    It depends how much you know about her.

Or him.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Personal all the way. There's two ways you can go with it. Either get/do something related to an interest you share or an experience you've had together. This shows your appreciation for the good times you've had, and your celebration of the memories you share. Or you can get/do something related to an interest your S/O has that you don't share (get help so you do this competently!). This shows that you a) listen and appreciate them even if you don't personally care about the thing they like and b) you're willing to do things that are all about your S/O and not about you.

Both types of things work very well, especially if you outright explain say why you got or did x thing. "Remember when we went to that amazing Italian place in Chicago? I've heard that this new Italian place is really good, and I thought it might be fun to check it out together." Or, "I know how much you love the ballet, so I get these tickets to Swan Lake." "Oh really, I didn't think you liked ballet?" "Yeah, it's not really my thing, but I'm happy to go sometimes because I'm with you." (D'awww.)

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I've started seeing this girl from work, it has been going really good. We're taking it slow after both coming out of relationships and its been amazing.

One of the days we were talking about toys we used to play with when we were younger...now her favorite toy of all time was this little mermaid ariel doll that would sing when you pressed a button on her stomach. However it was lost when her parents were divorced when she was 6.

Now Vday is upon us and I thought it would be awesome to see if I could get her one, now is there some special place to get older disney toys. I have skowered ebay and kajiji but no luck. Any other ideas?

Dixon on