As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quick Mother board question

TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
So my motherboard had a short today and the computer won't start up anymore, however the LEDs in the system continue to turn on when i hit the power button, as do the processor/chasis fans.

If I get a new motherboard, different model etc., is there much I need to do as far as new software etc.? I just want to be prepared for when the new board comes.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
FFXIV: Tchel Fay
Nintendo ID: Tortalius
Steam: Tortalius
Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
Tcheldor on

• Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It should come with any drivers you will need, you can use those to get online and download actual up-to-date drivers, if you want.

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    rconrcon Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Before you buy a new motherboard, make sure your power supply is still good somehow. I've seen few computers with the same issue you have and the cause of it was the power supply. Either pull a similar power supply from another computer or get a tester somehow.

rcon on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Fans and such still turn on when I hit the power button, and only the LED on the motherboard fails (well visibly, the monitor isn't getting any signal, and the comp doesn't boot), and I've had this happen once before when I had a short in the case.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    The Fans and such still turn on when I hit the power button, and only the LED on the motherboard fails (well visibly, the monitor isn't getting any signal, and the comp doesn't boot), and I've had this happen once before when I had a short in the case.

The thing is that the PSU gives out power at various voltages so it's possible for even the system fans to go on when the 12V power that the motherboard/CPU/GPU need is shot.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You'll probably need to do a repair install of Windows (or if you don't want to do that, much deeper magic, the easiest versions of which require your old mobo to functional before the swap) if your new mobo is significantly different from the old one. It should leave all your programs and data intact, but you'll need to reinstall all Windows Updates. You may also need to reactivate your copy of Windows even if it doesn't necessitate a repair install , which usually just means calling the number and saying, "hey my mobo fried so I replaced it, here's the license number" and Bob's your uncle.

This is all assuming you're on a Windows box of course.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Clear your CMOS first. There should be a jumper near your button battery/express card slots/north bridge. Short it, then try turning on the PC.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.