As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Neo Geo] Battle Coliseum HD Remix - Netcode is good, go play!

blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
Neo Geo Battle Coliseum

It's out! Go buy it!

Netcode seems pretty good so far. I haven't had any matches that move in slow-mo yet.

Check it out right here.

Here's some footage from the upcoming release:

Some light combos.

I'm pretty sure they re-did all of the art in the game too. At least the win screen art looks new.

Also, Team-Up supers are super cool looking, but the damage is poop. Alas, it seems they did not change this.

blaze_zero on

• Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I always wanted to try this game, but never had a PS2. If it comes out over here I'll probably give it a shot. However, I have zero faith in SNK being able to put any half decent online play in the game.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, I'm amazed SNK actually seems to be putting effort into this one. Considering how quick-and-dirty Garou and KOF98UM were.

Please SNK, don't screw up the netplay too badly.

NGBC definitely deserves more love. It's a collection of great underrated characters from great underrated fighting games to form an ultimate underrated fighting game.

I (always) need more Shiki in my life.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aargh.

Stop dicking PSN over SNK.

Actually no, whatever. I don't really care about NGBC. Just give us KoF2002:UM!

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If people want, I'll do a bigger OP.

I actually had a bunch more typed up... but I accidentally clicked on another site and destroyed my work...

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Looking at the videos, the game has MvC2 invisible wall syndrome. Alas.

Also, it looks like they took out the screen zooming? Strange.

Last comment: The 3D bear stage still looks terrible. TERRIBLE.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SNK has managed to fool me several times in the past. I have no faith that this will have any sort of respectable netcode. I'll stick with my PS2 version. That I never play :/ .

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, hopefully they improve the KoF12 netcode or just use something good.

But this is still so bought, but FUUUU SNK, I'm trying to phase my 360 out!!

Edit: Also....how do I buy japanese Live games?

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You used to be able to create a japanese account, but they have gotten better at blocking those.

Garou's netcode was not good, I have my doubts about this one.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [insert any SNK game here]'s netcode was not good, I have my doubts about this one.

fixed.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wish these things came out for PC..
    Microsoft, bridge the gap please.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I picked up KoF XII on launch day and I was so disappointed

but dammit, I liked NGBC. I'll be cautiously watching this

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I picked up KoF XII on launch day and I was so disappointed

but dammit, I liked NGBC. I'll be cautiously watching this
    Geese, Rock, and Terry(MotW) in the same game is something special to me <3

Edit: And Last Blade characters? Mmm, there are so many little lovelies packed in places.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This video would make a fine addition to the OP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPVEFwUaRlU

One thing that's starting to worry me is that I haven't seen ANY of the old 2D stages. Just the 3D stages from the PS2 version and some new 3D ones. Not that the 3D stages are terrible or anything, but the 2D stages were great and they look much better. I hope SNK is just taking some extra time to get the wide-screen right. I hope.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nice find! Adding now.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Updated OP a tad since it's coming out soon.

Anyone else going to get it?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'll be getting it. It was one of the few games on PS2 that I wanted to play (never owned one). Now I just need them to re-release KoF XI and I'll be set.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My friend had it and I played it at his place for awhile.

I do own KoF XI, though, and that is a really fun game. I would hope for a re-release, but I really doubt it will happen.

I want KoF UM'02 already, though. Spring '10 means... you know... like now SNK.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I knew that if I waited, they would make KoF XIII.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am excited about this. I never got to play it but I've always wanted to team up geese and genjuro.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The only reason that I'm interested in NGBC is because of marco. And the hint that they still give a shit about the last blade series.

Though, no 360. :(

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I'm glad they put Marco in this game. I'd take either him or Fio.

This is probably the closest we're ever gonna get to Last Blade vs. Samurai Spirits, though.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Marco is pretty tough to use from what I remember.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Marco isn't too tough to use, just very different from most characters. My strategy largely revolves around four of his moves:

Heavy Machine gun: Marco fires his machine gun straight ahead. Hits multiple times (obviously). Relatively quick.
    Iron Lizard: Marco fires an iron lizard. (You remember these from Metal Slug, right?) It travels along the ground and must be blocked low.
    Grenade: Marco tosses a grenade in an arc.
    Jet Pack attack: Marco flies forward with a jet pack on his back.

Basically, my strategy is to annoy my opponent from a distance by using different variations of the first three attacks. If they're getting too close, (or are about to jump in) I use the Jet Pack attack to put some more distance between us, and hopefully do some damage in the process.

At close range, however, you really need to know Marco's knife combos. Which are a bit tricky, in terms of input.

For supers, the one I see used exclusively in actual competitions is the one where he summons Hyakutomaru (aka: the hadouken-ing prisoner from Metal Slug). This is kind of a weird super, since Hyakutomaru strolls out at a leisurely pace, walks back and forth for a while, and then fires his super projectile. The amount of time it takes before he fires the super varies though. Basically, its main purpose is to give your opponent something else to worry about on the screen, in addition to whatever else you're doing while Hyakutomaru is moseying around. It usually doesn't hit.

So yeah, Marco is different but not too difficult to use. I think it's interesting to compare his moves to Fio's in KOF Maximum Impact 2, since they came out around the same time (2006 I think). While both are fun, I kind of prefer Marco's.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It should be out for you dudes now.

Apparently according to SRK the netcode is decent. But they used to say 12's netcode was decent initially so I dunno.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Woah, I can't believe I haven't heard anything about this. Anyone around here picked it up yet? I'm very tempted. I'd like another game that isn't street fighter to get pissed off at for a change.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I just got it so I can't say much yet. Haven't tried online yet.

I'm pleased to say this is in widescreen. Since they had 3D backgrounds they used the MvC2 method of making it widescreen (i.e. It looks widescreen but has the original borders still there). Like MvC2 it looks odd if there's a character that jumps off the wall but other than that it looks fine.

One bad thing (for some) is that there's no original pixelated graphics option. So you have to live with the graphics filter. The only options are original (sort like MvC2's "sharp" option) and smooth which I hate because it makes everything look blurry.

Edit: Is this only coming out on 360 like Garou? If so I don't understand why SNK is doing that. Unless there's some sort of super secret giant 360 based SNK fan group in some part of the world. It seems silly.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh SNK bosses ... how I didn't miss you. I can honestly say I've never seen life recovery this fast on a boss. I was playing against Mizuchi and between the Geonitz like lightning bolts, giant fireball, and super fast recovering health I couldn't put a dent in him. And it's not even the real boss. D:

It's nostalgic in a bad sort of way.

I really wish the people who complain about Seth in SFIV could play this. I would laugh as they can't beat a boss with two characters where the boss is given only 1/4 one of your character's health as a handicap.

p.s. If anyone is thinking about responding to this with some sort of "SNK boss syndrome" link don't bother. I already know what that is. It's just been a while since I've experienced it.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Man, it's exciting to hear that the netcode might be decent. Wish I had access to a 360 at the moment.

Yeah, NGBC's bosses are completely ridiculous. It's as if they kicked SNK Boss Syndrome up a notch. (BAM!) But I think Mizuchi (the easiest boss to reach) is actually the second-hardest. King Lion and Nio Dio, while bastards, aren't quite as bad.

Then you get to Goodman, and you miss Mizuchi SO MUCH.

I think SNK's policy of releasing games to the 360 rather than the PS3 is based entirely on financial considerations. From what I've heard, Sony's policy actually makes it more expensive (in the long term) for publishers to release games for the PSN. I believe this is why some Capcom PSN/XBL releases actually cost more on PSN. Don't remember the details though.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Do all the bosses recover health like Mizuchi or is that specific to him? Because that was definitely my main issue. Say I get a lucky hit in with Ryo's Super fireball. I then proceed to get shut down by his lightning bolts while he recovers health. If he didn't have that health recovery I could at least block the lightning bolts and wait of an opportunity to attack, but I'm in such a rush to deal more damage I end up either eating some trying to get in or I lose the advantage from the fireball due to health recovery. It's absolutely insane.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If I remember correctly all bosses recover health like that. I think the logic was that, since you can recover some of your red damage by tagging out, the boss should be able to recover health as well in order to make it "fair." But since they can't tag out, they're just always recovering health.

In order to beat them, you need to be connecting with a lot of one-hit supers. Long multi-hit supers (like Ryo's and Iori's ranbus) do so little damage at first that the boss can actually regenerate health faster than the supers damage him. So stick to super fireballs, power geysers and things like that.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Could someone test the netcode?

Argh, still though, if it's good, when KoF2k2UM hits I might just have to get a 360.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I will probably try and pick this up in the morning when I get back from work.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mostly everyone on SRK has been raving about the netcode. Mostly because it's decent this time and not total shit.

Gives me hope for KoF13 now.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I would probably buy this if I had any decent fightpads for the 360. It's the only recent 2D SNK game that I haven't played.

Are there any good ones? And don't say the SF 4 Madcatz fightpad, as I bought one of those and it broke after two weeks.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I would probably buy this if I had any decent fightpads for the 360. It's the only recent 2D SNK game that I haven't played.

Are there any good ones? And don't say the SF 4 Madcatz fightpad, as I bought one of those and it broke after two weeks.
    I haven't tried this one myself but I've heard good things (Hori's Pad EX for 360):

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-EX-Turbo-Black/dp/B002LT9PXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276164213&sr=8-1

There's also some good information about PS2 to 360 adapters here if you want to go that route: http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=181187

And if you do go the PS2 to 360 route, the Xconverter and Blazepro adapters work well with the Keio.dk Saturn > PS2 adapters if you have a Saturn pad you'd like to use. Granted, that's a mess of adapters but at least there isn't input lag (according to Virtual On players at least). :lol:

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And don't say the SF 4 Madcatz fightpad, as I bought one of those and it broke after two weeks.

Broke after two weeks? Good god man, how do you play? Bashing it against the floor?

I have 2, two of my friends have them, and none of them have had any problems at all.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    And don't say the SF 4 Madcatz fightpad, as I bought one of those and it broke after two weeks.

Broke after two weeks? Good god man, how do you play? Bashing it against the floor?

I have 2, two of my friends have them, and none of them have had any problems at all.
    I actually had problems with a defective one as well. It just wouldn't work upon plugging it in randomly, if I stopped using it for long periods of time it would work again but trying to plug it in immediately after a session would result in nothing (no lights or anything).

This was about a week after owning it, Mad Catz offered to repair/replace but only if I paid shipping both ways (no RMA box/envelope or anything like that). It was still cheaper than buying another at the store, at least, but it was kind of a sour experience.

That said, the repair/replacement hasn't stopped working. It's not my favorite controller but it's better than the 360 pad at least. I play more with a Hori EX SE now, though.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ok so I finally got to play a few matches online.

There are very few people online as expected. I got my ass kicked hardcore, also as expected. Everyone seems proficient in this game and me being new to it and having never really played an SNK game against a human opponent (who knows what they're doing) the results went poorly for me. Well not never, but I gave up on other SNK games this gen due to bad netcode very quickly. So I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing.

Anyway, If I were to rate all the fighting games I've played online from best to worst netcode or online play in general it would go as follows.

1) Blazblue

2) HDR, MvC2

3) SFIV, SSFIV

4) Soul Calibur 4

5) KoF XII, 98 UM, Garou.

I'm pretty sure this game falls somewhere between SC4 and SFIV. It's hard to compare because those two use "bars" and this one uses ping to rate your connection. The highest pinging match I played was 200, so if I had a way to compare that to the bar system it would be nice. The 200 ping match was pretty much unplayable, and I remember 200 ping being pretty bad from my CS days so that's to be expected. I'm assuming you need better ping for a fighter than an fps. You should search for less to or if not possible close to 100 ping matches.

Anyway I think they've improved the netcode for sure, but it could probably use a little more work and refinement.

Edit: Note I don't remember SC4 matches being as horribly terrible as most. I remember them being fine if I could find a 5 bar match and decent for 4 bars. I've also been able to play some 2 bar matches in SFIV without complaint. I might be a little more lenient than most with how much lag I can tolerate.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I haven't played it online yet, so I have yet to be able to test the netcode myself.

However, the game is pretty fun and I'm torn on who I want my team to be.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I played a bunch of people around 50 ping, was flawless. I didn't get anyone higher than that in my lobby. The game is fun. If anyone wants to play, send me an invite.

solsovly on