As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows 7] I think I messed up!

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
Okay, last night, half-awake, I was informed by a friend of the "the ultimate steal" sale by Microsoft.

So I figured this would be a good time to pick up Windows 7, something I've been meaning to do for some time.

Unfortunately, now that I'm awake, I've begun to think I've made a mistake. Namely, what I've purchased was a "Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade - 64 bit".

It's been a while since I installed an OS (I've owned my Vista desktop for two years, and never reformatted), and what I'm currently using Windows Vista 32-bit. I don't have any version of 64-bit Windows (well, except the one that came with my laptop, and I doubt that has a OEM Disk). I've never actually upgraded an OS in my life (kind of against it).

So, I don't think I can actually install the upgrade onto anything (I have a new HDD coming it that I wanted to use). Am I basically screwed because of my clumsiness?

Synthesis on

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't think so, but some other people could give a more certain reply.
    I think you can do a clean install, and Windows will ask your old key.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I appreciate the answer, but I think I am indeed screwed (that's what clumsiness gets you), so I've been trying to snag a cheap copy of Vista Home Premium OEM (which is the cheapest you can upgrade to 7 Professional).

Of course, I might still be out of luck out of then. It should work though.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    can't you use a 64 bit key to install a 32 bit version, legally? all you need is a DVD with the 32 bit data on it

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That disc will upgrade your 32-bit version of Windows Shit Edition (Vista) to 64-bit Windows Awesome Edition (7) - and since you're going from a 32 to 64-bit OS, it will prompt you to do a "clean install" anyways.

You did it right, don't worry.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That disc will upgrade your 32-bit version of Windows Shit Edition (Vista) to 64-bit Windows Awesome Edition (7) - and since you're going from a 32 to 64-bit OS, it will prompt you to do a "clean install" anyways.

You did it right, don't worry.

Warning! Incoming heresy!

I actually haven't minded Vista...this is my first Vista desktop, and I've used it without reformatting for more than two years. By contrast, my previous build was a godawful nightmare that happened to run Windows XP, and I had to reformat it, for one reason or another, every 6 months, like clockwork.

Not that I dislike XP. That was just a horrible computer. More and more, all evidence seems to say my OS experience depends on how shitty the setup is I'm running it on.

But yeah, switching over to 7 is something I've wanted to do primarily because I wanted a 64-bit OS (Windows Vista 64-bit wasn't available when I got this desktop, for various reasons).

Also, I should elaborate--I snagged a $70 copy of Vista Home Premiums, OEM, 64-bit to upgrade to 7 Professional 64-bit.

Which is just a well, because I don't actually own any OEM or other copies of Windows Vista 32-bit (which is what I'm using now on my desktop). So, I pay the price now.

Synthesis on