As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No keyboard recognition during boot. Is my mobo done?

The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
A few weeks back my computer crapped itself after a friend managed to strike some sort of virus jack pot that overwhelmed my copy of Avast! and caused my PC to become stuck in essentially an endless boot cycle. I've since recovered my files and re-formatted the drive.

The problem is that it no longer detects input from the keyboard before an OS loads. I can access the BIOS and since Ubuntu is quite happy to install itself without any need for keyboard inputs I can get Ubuntu running, but I'd prefer to have XP back on it. I'm not savvy with Ubuntu so using it to run my XP CD has been an exercise in frustration. But when I just try to boot from the XP CD, it doesn't detect my button presses when it asks me to press any key to start up from the CD. I've tried every USB port on the PC and even found a PS2 converter and that doesn't work either.

Any ideas for a fix or is it just time to scrap the motherboard and start anew? I suspect it's a motherboard issue at least. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
The LandoStander on

• Options
    sinnsinn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Take a look in your BIOS settings, somewhere in there will be an option for USB keyboard support, you can toggle it between BIOS/OS. Turn it to BIOS and you should be good to go.

sinn on
    He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.