As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LAN party activities?

ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Aside from the obvious I mean...

Every year I host an event for my friends and I. I round up 8-10 people (all friends or friends of friends) and we rent a vacation house for about 4 days, far enough away from home that there won't be any gameus interrruptus. Then we fill the house with computers and food and proceed to game pretty much the whole time.

This has been a winning formula so far, everyone loves the event. I was just hoping to find some things I could do (as the organizer) to make it a little more unique for everyone. Some of these guys go to LAN parties on a somewhat regular basis and I want those people to feel like this is the one they can't miss. At the same time I've got friends who attend this event as the only LAN experience that they have all year, so I don't want to alienate them by making it too competitive or anything like that.

About us:
Our ages range from 24 to 30. All of us enjoy an alchoholic beverage or two during our gaming sessions. Most of us also fit into at least one other category of board gamer, poker or Magic player, or console gamer. All of us are pretty good friends (some 15+ years).

tl;dr
Suggest some activities to make a LAN party with friends more unique/fun. Activities don't necessarily need to be LAN related.

Chalkbot on

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hire a booth babe to serve drinks for the weekend. No, I'm not joking.

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Maybe a Smash Tournament?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    At a LAN party we designed some stickers (Tuna of Victory), we made up events and the winner took the stickers. Also, we had the 'pistol whip round', in which you can only attack using the pistol whip. Hillarious when when you see a group of 10 people trying to pisto whip each other to death.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Prizes make everything better. Buy a Razr mouse if you have the cash or some sort of good gaming accessory to hand out to specified competitions. Have small gifts for the "loser" of another certain game - but don't tell them the prize is for the loser until the end.

Also, Starcraft. Holy crap I would love to play Starcraft in a room with 7 other people. Even the mention of Starcraft makes me want to want to play it.

As MagicToaster said - special rules for certain games. "Civil War" in TF2, for example -- only Melee allowed. Makes it challenging and interesting.

Also, make sure everyone has somewhere comfy/quiet to sleep. If you're renting a house, I don't see that being much of a problem - the last LAN I went to, I ended up sleeping in front of my computer, curled up on the wires. It hurt. Haha.

And don't forget that people will like gaming more if they have slight breaks from it - a quick scavenger hunt outside, if the area is nice? Just something to get them out stretching their legs that is still a game and fun and slightly competitive.

mully on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Some kind of console setup and some 'party' type games is a really good idea.

If you've got 8-ish people, you could team up and cook dinner for each other on a couple of evenings, unless it's an all pizza, all the time kind of deal.

Watch a funny/stupid movie.

The funniest thing* I ever saw at a lan party was a game of hard disk soccer. It ended with a really hard kick that sent the metallic corner of the disk, at high speed, into the shin of another player.

*Tied with:
    A really, really fat kid that managed to pack up all his belonging and his computer with astonishing speed, possibly less than a minute, when the police raided the place.

Excessive vomiting after a speed drinking contest involving 2 liter colas - you should do this, only perhaps with a smaller quantity.

The guy who, during the raid mentioned above, yanked the hard disk out of his computer and made a mad dash outside where he chugged it at the nearest bush. They weren't there for him.

Pizza delivery guy from place A trying to start a fist fight with the guy from place B for invading 'his turf'.

Waking up in the morning at a large lan (300+ people), on the concrete in one of the designated sleeping areas, and realizing that a local homeless guy and his freaky dog had figured out that there'd be an open room available. When he was confronted and asked to leave, he bolted and left the dog.

And so much other silliness. Man, I should go to another lan event one of these days.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just a quick suggestion... We tried having a timed race through an old PC adventure game like Space Quest 3. When the timer hits then the person with the most points wins. Was fairly epic, with two players just warping out of the space hulk at the beginning as we ran out of time (one forgot to power up the weapons to blast the hanger doors).

Avenrosh on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, I like booth babe bartender idea, that would be awesome, but I suspect it would be well outside of what I could afford. Plus, I don't know if my conscience would allow me to put anyone through 4 days of unbridled, drunken, energy drink-fueled, nerd exposure. That sounds like a horrible existence. Something along this vein sure would be cool though.

Prizes is something I hadn't put much thought into. Maybe because we're never really sure what games we're going to play. I like that idea, but it will have to be a pretty flexible format. I thought scratch lottery tickets would be a fun "loser" prize.

Last year we did a trip to the beach (with no particular activity planned) which worked well to break up the gaming a little, so those types of ideas are certainly valuable. Oh, also we watched Ice Pirates... or more accurately, had it playing on loop in the background. I have no idea what was going on in that movie, it was just funny to look over at it between rounds. Ambient cheesiness... That's good.

I think console party games is also a winner. I know we tried that last year but it didn't really work. Maybe organize an event around it instead of just loosely suggesting that we play? I like Smash Brothers okay, but I also happen to know that certain people in our group are ridiculous at that game...

An idea I came up with myself (please tell me if this is stupid) was making a bunch of T-shirts beforehand with stereotypical gamertags printed on them. Then requiring everyone to use the name on their shirt (which they recieve at the door) in every game we play. I think this idea was a product of nobody changing the default names last year in most of the games, which was pretty confusing.

Edit:
    Wow, I never would of thought of a timed race through single player games. I'm going to have to think about that one.

Chalkbot on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    The shirt thing is a good idea but make them somewhat clever, and not just xx69HALO_DUDE69xx. Even just having nametags if the t-shirt thing is too pricey. Also you don't have to worry about sizes.

bombardier on
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ambience can add a lot of character - consider getting some colored light bulbs from places like Spencer gifts. Crazy ass colored rooms with a house mix playing can make for an entertaining environment.

As for the bartending babe - you might be surprised about bartending rates. It doesnt have to be for the whole time. Just a brief interlude after a hard day gaming. At least LOOK before discounting it is all I'm saying.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Get Nerf Guns, lots and lots of Nerf Guns.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you do have timed runs through single player games I'd recommend keeping it brief. With simple games just 15 minutes is good, maybe 30 at most for a complex one. Just don't want to make anyone bored.

Avenrosh on
  • Options
    limester816limester816 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    rip a shot everytime you die. it'll be more fun that way

limester816 on
  • Options
    bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

And darts. Lots of darts.

bubblegumnex on
    <@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • Options
    edited February 2010

YES!

someone beats you at CS?

Ambush them when they leave the bathroom.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    We used to always do Lan and a BBQ when I was with my CAL team for CS.

About 15-20 of us would huddle in someones basment and play games for a weekend.

Best thing ever was when everyone went up for the BBQ you change the function of Mouse 1 to throw the weapon instead of shoot...ahhh good times.

Dixon on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    We run lan parties every other month where I work.

Don't overlook Server options.

I switched a game of COD4 to low-gravity mid-match and it was fucking awesome.

Also, hire a stripper!

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I started going to a bi-monthly 15+ man LAN. We have a professional DJ among our admins so we get a great sound system and cool lights to make the place looks snazzy. Our drunken singalongs are a must, favourites inclde "chocolate salty balls" and the team America tune.

Our 5am games of risk on the 360 are a tradition now too.

Don't forget UT2K4.

Casual on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Schedule special events or games you don't usually play. I once played Blind Man's Q3 - people pair up and one person has to play blindfolded while the other dictates the game to them.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Flogging Molly sing-a-longs make me think fondly of LAN parties gone by

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zek wrote: »
    Schedule special events or games you don't usually play. I once played Blind Man's Q3 - people pair up and one person has to play blindfolded while the other dictates the game to them.

that's pretty cool

Xaquin on
  • Options
    .kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mully wrote: »
    Also, Starcraft. Holy crap I would love to play Starcraft in a room with 7 other people.
    Starcraft is hands down the best lan game ever. 1.6 is pretty good to.

.kbf? on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    WildEEP wrote: »
    As for the bartending babe - you might be surprised about bartending rates. It doesnt have to be for the whole time. Just a brief interlude after a hard day gaming. At least LOOK before discounting it is all I'm saying.

Hmmm, one night of bartender seems more realistic. Do they come with their own selection of drinks, or do you need to provide them with stuff to work with?
    rip a shot everytime you die. it'll be more fun that way

This will make for rapid successive deaths I would think! I'll be passed out after 20 minutes.

Haha... Maybe.
    Zek wrote: »

I like this idea! I think Counterstrike would be a good game to try this on, as we are really familiar with the maps AND it gives me the opportunity to make the obligatory "Buy some flashbangs" joke.

Chalkbot on