As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boardgames - Citadels - for when you need a game for over 5 people

• Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ameritrash games aren't bad by default.

tofu on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    Ameritrash games aren't bad by default.

Absolutely. There are many Americgames that I like. But Zombies!! is the stereotypical bad Amerigame, it has every flaw that Amerigame detractors like to point out and unfairly tar all Amerigames with.

I'm sure there's a Chris Rock bit in there somewhere.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That actually reminds me of discussion I had with a few German gamers, who cannot stand German boardgames for a lot of the things they lack in comparison to "ameritrash" games. Namely they are dry, themeless and abstract and reduce playing them to card-counting or calculating everybody else's movements/scoring in advance.

Games like Keltis and Verrater seem to be some of the worst offenders in that category. Whenever I played them I was playing for the sweet sweet release of somebody kicking over the gametable "by accident".

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Joe Dizzy wrote: »
    That actually reminds me of discussion I had with a few German gamers, who cannot stand German boardgames for a lot of the things they lack in comparison to "ameritrash" games. Namely they are dry, themeless and abstract and reduce playing them to card-counting or calculating everybody else's movements/scoring in advance.

And those themeless, counter pushing, play themselves, zero interaction games get labeled Eurotrash.

I feel we're moving away from the core point of Zombies!!! being an affront to both God and Humanity though.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    edited February 2010
    I think if you house-rule it somewhat, it can be a nice diversion. Last time we played, we used the quick-play rules from BGG and just used the Mall Walkers expansion and we were done in about 45 minutes. Which is still a little too long for such a game, but it's far from being the soul-crushing banality of a regular, straight out-of-the-box Zombies!!! game.

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think if you house-rule it somewhat, it can be a nice diversion. Last time we played, we used the quick-play rules from BGG and just used the Mall Walkers expansion and we were done in about 45 minutes. Which is still a little too long for such a game, but it's far from being the soul-crushing banality of a regular, straight out-of-the-box Zombies!!! game.
    Don't talk to me about the expansions, don't talk to me about house rules, don't talk to me about the zombies mailing list, about how if you apply fix x,y,z and play with expansion alpha and shuffle in the helipad tile, and if only you BLAH BLAH FUCKING BLAH. It's not my job to fix the silly goose game.

Ahem.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Yes. Silly goose game is silly goose.

But those of us who were unlucky enough to be given the game as a well-meant present need to salvage the situation somehow.

At least you can do that with Zombies!!!. Settlers of Catan or Carcassone on the other hand are a lost cause. They are not actively broken, just unbelievably dull.

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    RericReric Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    When I first was getting into boardgames I foolishly purchased Zombies. I taught it to my roommates and in our first game managed to close up the city so that no additional tiles could be placed. We gave up in frustration as there was no way anybody was going to get 25 zombie kills.

We never played the game again, it sits dejected in the corner along with Roborally and Munchkin.

Reric on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Settlers of Catan or Carcassone on the other hand are a lost cause. They are not actively broken, just unbelievably dull.

It warms the cockles of my heart to see that there's someone else out there who shares my opinion of Settlers. My friends who think they're into board games but really are just into bad board games and aren't really very good at games fucking love it and ask me to play all the time, but I have to say no because I don't feel like breaking my nose on the table when I fall asleep from a bad game.

Wow, apparently I really needed to vent about Settlers.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    "I've got wood for sheep"

Never. Gets. Old.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Personally, every time I play Settlers or Carcassone, I thank Generic Dark Lord #232 that we aren't playing Killer Bunnies.

I'd play either anyday over that pile of drek.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How is Space Alert? Is it something that we could play a lot, or is it more of a one-shot thing?

A lot in my opinion, great co-op game.

Variation kicks in with the different 'announcer music tracks' and cards that are drawn and special events like 'communication breakdown' which forces every player to quicky play his moves on his own without being allowed to communicate. Which can be hectic, as you need energy to fire lasers needed to destroy incoming threats and if the energy isn't being readied in a prior move you got a lil' problem. Individual action is important.

The time pressure (and occasionally not being allowed to communicate and whatnot) alleviate the "one player solves the puzzle" problem I experience with other co-op board games.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Never. Gets. Old.

But I do waiting for that game to end. I can actually feel the minutes of my life slip away as those hexagon tiles stare at me. Eating away at my will to live.

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I remember back in high school we tried to squeeze in games of Settlers during lunch break. Build-up and finishing games in 35 mins.

Alegis on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just ordered Chaos in the Old on Amazon. 34.99 plus 12 shipping. Not bad at all. I just hope that I can play it as soon as I get it! :)

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Settlers was the first game I ever played past Risk. I was in elementary school, or maybe middle school, and each afternoon I would play tons of Settlers with my little brother. So I adore it based on nostalgia if nothing else.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Settlers isn't bad, it's just not very exciting. It's something I'd play if everything else has already been done recently.

And now I'm packing my stuff for an evening of CitOW!

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't really care to play Settlers ever. It's not a bad game, like Echo said, it's just dull to the point of boredom. Nothing ever happens. You roll dice, you get your cards, you trade, you build stuff. Not a lot of decisions to make.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Never. Gets. Old.

Best TotP

Delmain on
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Settlers is a game that you don't focus too much on and talk about other things.

And call people silly gooses they block your settlement.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lurk wrote: »
    Settlers is a game that you don't focus too much on and talk about other things.

And call people silly gooses they block your settlement.

Or use as a base for Settlers of Riskopoly

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, crap. I left my Old World and Ruination cards at home since I use them for reference in my online game. Is anyone available for the next hours in case I need to ask what a card does?

Echo on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Well, crap. I left my Old World and Ruination cards at home since I use them for reference in my online game. Is anyone available for the next hours in case I need to ask what a card does?

I'm around-ish.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    First card question: Bretonnian Knights?

Echo on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Place one Hero token in Bretonnia and one Hero token in any other region.

In the end phase when Old World cards are resolved, any player with one or more followers in Bretonnia must discard a Chaos card, if able.

admanb on
  • Options
    jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How is Space Alert? Is it something that we could play a lot, or is it more of a one-shot thing?

Space Alert is a great game but it is HARD. It is definitely a gamer's game and I would not play it with people who've never played a "real" boardgame.

That said, it's also a blast to play. It definitely suffers with less players because the chaos of everyone talking over each other and trying to figure out adds to the fun.

My group of players are pretty smart and we play a lot of games and even for us, it took us a while to beat the training missions so while there are a finite amount of missions on the CD, it will probably take you a couple tries to beat them even when you figure out the game, and, if you play the CD tracks randomly, you won't remember what's going to happen.

Plus, due to how the game works, the tracks just control WHEN things happen. WHAT happens can change every time depending on what cards you draw. There is replay-ability.

I really hope they come out with an add-on with more missions.

And while not completely necessary, the Star Trek themed remixes on BGG just make the game that much more AWESOME!

jabrams007 on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    FYI, I finally got my Hour of Glory PBP updated.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=110928

tofu on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ok I asked earlier about the Game of Thrones thread and it's finally up. If anyone has any words of wisdom, feel free to throw it in there!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=111841

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
      Darian wrote: »

I still haven't gotten to play it yet; iamtheaznman has a copy, but we didn't break it out at our DC games day. My impression is that they play it a lot in his group at college, though.

It's kind of taken a backburner role due to people wanting to play Chaos in the Old World and the BSG expansion, but I really enjoyed the game for the time we played it.

Basically you draw cards and program moves and actions by placing these cards face down (similar to Robo Rally), but you are working together and only have a limited time to decide your actions. During this time, a computer is indicating what kind of threats are attacking your ship, and obviously you have to deal with them. Once time runs out, you go through a resolution phase where you resolve your card actions and the threat actions and see if you survive.

It builds in complexity, so make sure you get the same group of people to play all the learning missions with so you can play some real advanced missions. I currently find it to be my favorite co-op game since there's more pressure on each person working together and less on a taskmaster micromanaging. Also it seems to have better re-playability than other co-ops especially since there are mission generators online, and the encounters you have are randomly chosen as well. The gameplay can get stale if people aren't into it, but you can play it for a long time if people are into it.

iamtheaznman on
    • Options
      InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
      Ryadic wrote: »
      I don't really care to play Settlers ever. It's not a bad game, like Echo said, it's just dull to the point of boredom. Nothing ever happens. You roll dice, you get your cards, you trade, you build stuff. Not a lot of decisions to make.

What? I disagree. I feel that there are plenty of decisions to make. What is trading but a series of decisions made between multiple parties? Where and when and what to build are all very important, as is who to attack with the robber, an intelligently played monopoly can swing games (plus the fun of trading all of one resource away and then getting it all back with a monopoly), blocking other peoples ability to build, dissecting their roads, etc.

Now that the newness of my christmas gifts have worn off Catan still is my favorite board game. If you want more choices on what decision to make each turn there is always cities and knights or traders and barbarians.

Inquisitor on
    • Options
      PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
      O hai there, new expansion to Dominion, Dominion: Alchemy.

PMAvers on
      persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      PMAvers wrote: »

Yay!

Also, the description for that is hilarious.

Delmain on
    • Options
      GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
      PMAvers wrote: »

Well, shit, I guess I need to actually get one of the others soon, then.

GoodOmens on
      steam_sig.png
      IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
    • Options
      Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
      settlers is a solid but boring game, i agree.

its main use is to expose people to the notion that boardgames can be something different than distractions for your horrible little children.

Evil Multifarious on
    • Options
      Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
      I thought that's what Dominion was for?

Zombie Nirvana on
    • Options
      BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
      Does anyone know if Innsmouth Escape is worth playing at all? On the one hand I love the theme and The Shadow Over Innsmouth is a great story that lends well to adaptation. I think it'd also be nice to own a Lovecraftian game that doesn't extend its themes of byzantine nightmarish voids of insanity to the setup and upkeep of the boardgame, ARKHAM HORROR*.

On the other hand, it's a Twilight Creations game. Zombies!!! is awful. Admittedly that's the only other game of theirs I've tried, but I'm not sure if I should give them another shot.

I love you Arkham Horror

BloodySloth on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      Inquisitor wrote: »
      Ryadic wrote: »

What? I disagree. I feel that there are plenty of decisions to make. What is trading but a series of decisions made between multiple parties? Where and when and what to build are all very important, as is who to attack with the robber, an intelligently played monopoly can swing games (plus the fun of trading all of one resource away and then getting it all back with a monopoly), blocking other peoples ability to build, dissecting their roads, etc.

Now that the newness of my christmas gifts have worn off Catan still is my favorite board game. If you want more choices on what decision to make each turn there is always cities and knights or traders and barbarians.

I think you may be biased against it since it's your favorite game. I won't say I hate the game, but I never offer to play it. When offered, I'll suggest something else. The development deck usually gets you one of two cards. 1 VP or Knight (That is the card, right?). You usually play your knight immediately in order to get Largest Army or if you know you won't get it, you do wait until the most opportune time to play it. You could make arguments for the game and stuff, but in the end I don't really feel like I ever accomplish anything after Settler's. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but I always feel like the game never really went anywhere.

Ryadic on
      steam_sig.png
    • Options
      mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
      edited February 2010
      Man I do enjoy Zombies!!! :rotate: It is extremely simple and great for family gatherings with the in-laws. I like Ticket To Ride and Pandemic better, though. Just played Last Night on Earth yesterday before the Super Bowl and that is definitely better than Zombies!!!. I really enjoyed that one and will be picking up some of the expansions.

I got Arkham Horror too... the game looks super complicated. I doubt it is good for 2player, either, so I'm gonna have to get some neckbeards from the LGS to play eh?

mugginns on
      E26cO.jpg
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      Uh oh... Someone enjoys Zombies!!! in this thread. I'm sure it's a safe bet that I hide somewhere.

Ryadic on
      steam_sig.png
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      edited February 2010
      Anyone ever play Descent? My friends and I have played Doom and enjoy it, but were thinking about Descent for the fantasy flavor.

TimFiji on
      Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills