As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New computer problems!

Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I recently built a brand new computer, using a Biostar ta790gxe motherboard and I'm having issues. It will be fine for a while, but then suddenly it will just restart. It doesn't shut down all the way and I've been monitoring the heat closely, it actually restarts...kind of. The power comes back up right away, but if I leave it as it, it will take at least 15 minutes to actually boot up all the way like that, so when it happend, I hit the restart button on the case fast and it restarts at full speed. Usually if that actually happens, though, once it’s actually booted up, the system freezes and slows so much that it’s pretty much unusable. The system stops responding constantly, causing major issues with any running programs. I can usually let it sit for a while to get it to sort of wake up and start responding again if I need to save work or something, but often it’s useless and all I can do it force a restart.

I’ve tried putting in other hardware for pretty much everything except for the cpu. Different RAM, graphics card, audio card and even operating system all produced the same result, so I’m pretty sure it’s either just a bad board or the voltage settings, but I don’t know enough about voltage stuff to properly diagnose the problem on my own.

Here’s a list of the hardware I’m using with it:
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
GIGABYTE GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Multimedia PCI Audio Card
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V Modular Power Supply
Western Digital WD15EADS 1.5TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

I know how to build computers, and I know how to use them, but the more detailed BIOS settings and what not have always escaped me. Any help would be appreciated.

Captain Cthulhu on

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    have you tried a different power supply?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This was gonna be my first question.

I have a spare you can borrow to try if you need one, Cap.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

I actually have a spare brand new one that I believe is a 530 watt raidmax modular that I could pop in, but I really didn't think that could have been the problem, but then I don't know a ton about this stuff. I'll try that tonight when I get home and let you guys know how it goes.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Did you actually tweak any CPU settings or are you letting the motherboard run in it's default automatic mode?

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Did you actually tweak any CPU settings or are you letting the motherboard run in it's default automatic mode?

well I've tried some tweaking, but to do anything in depth you basically have to activate "overclock" mode, which I'm not really in to. I turned off some of the power management settings and I disabled the onboard video and audio, in case there was some conflicting going on there.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I actually have a spare brand new one that I believe is a 530 watt raidmax modular that I could pop in, but I really didn't think that could have been the problem, but then I don't know a ton about this stuff. I'll try that tonight when I get home and let you guys know how it goes.
    Yeah, I don't think that's your problem, either, but you should try everything else before doing a mobo replacement.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Yeah, I don't think that's your problem, either, but you should try everything else before doing a mobo replacement.

oh, you guys got me all excited.

Captain Cthulhu on