As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Luxury sedan rec's for less than 65k?

limester816limester816 Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all, my Dad's car was totaled, so he's getting a new car.

He previously had a Lexus GS400 from 1999, and loved it. It had the right amount of power and space, but I think he also wanted it to be a bit more fun of a car. I think maybe something with a manumatic transmission would be good. Sticks aren't out of the picture, either.

He wants to buy new, and I think the budget is good for that. He's looked at Audi A4's and A5's, and that didn't do too much for him. Also checked out the Acura TSX, same thing. The new Lexuses aren't really doing it for him either. He's really liking the new BMW's... the 335i, M3, M5, and 535i in particular. He also wasn't adverse to the X3.

Anyways, 4 door is ideal, but larger 2 doors are okay. The 335i is nice because the rear seats come down, and sometimes he has to put an upright bass in the back.

I also just read about the BMW 335is, which should be an intermediary between the 335i and M3, also looks promising.

Any and all recs are welcome.

limester816 on

• Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Infiniti G37? My family has two G35s and they're ridiculously fun to drive.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImDrawingABlankImDrawingABlank Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The M series BMW are ridiculously expensive to buy new, the M3 has a tendency to resell later for a much lower value than the M5 would, in comparison. From what I've heard it has to do with the consensus that M3's are looked at as a "sports car" and are more likely to be abused than an M5 which can pass as a sedan to the average joe.

I looked at the Audi 4-doors for a while there but despite the awesome style, and good performance. The fun factor just wasn't there for me. The steering, suspension, and overall feel of the car is too... bland. Not the driver involvement you get from the M series or other sports cars.

What's a legitimate budget, so we can throw out recommendations that are reasonable for you?

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Did he look at an Audi S4? Because it's a completely different beast than an A4, and it sounds like he might like one Pretty sure the S4 comes with Audi's DSG, which is pretty much an electronically-shifting manual transmission, that can operate in manual or automatic mode.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    I drove a Hyundai Genesis and absolutely loved it. It ran about 35k, which was way too much for us at the time, but I really, really wish I could have driven it home.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Check out a Jaguar XF, such an awesome car. At the very least get him into one for a test drive. Also, you can get a 400ish hp one for about $55k, or a 510hp one for about $67k (MSRP, could probably negotiate them down a bit because some months this year Jaguar has only sold 1 new car in Canada, they are pretty desperate.)

EDIT: I'll admit it doesn't have a "manumatic" transmission, but the transmission spinny knob is rad.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    M3's will plummet in value the second after purchase. Get a gently used 2009 (or even 08) M3 for like 1/2 price.

I've driven a few M3's, but not the newest E90's. I've driven the E36 (1995-1999) and E46 (2000-2006 I think) and both are fantastic.

Check out bimmerforums.com for a TON of great info.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    TalondelTalondel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The best value at that price point has to be the Cadillac CTS-V. Yes, I realize that for many years the idea of Caddy (or any GM division) making a respectable automobile was laughable. I assure you that has changed. I recently test drove a 335i, G37, and CTS in the same day, and the CTS was by far my favorite of the three to drive. No, I don't like the looks, but then I don't buy cars to look at them, I buy them to drive.

If you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe Car & Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/08q2/2009_cadillac_cts-v_outruns_the_bmw_m3_and_m5_at_the_ring-car_news
    http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/cadillac/cts/2010/cadillac-cts-v

Still, at that price point it's hard to go wrong. 335i or M3 would be my next choice, followed by a g37s. If he's in full on mid-life-crisis mode and is willing to stretch the budget just a bit, he might also consider a Nissan GT-R.

Talondel on
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The CTS is a great car, I would second that.
    I'm a huge Audi fan, so I must recommend a second look. Also, all of my instincts suggest getting a gently used '09 with under 6k miles, the difference in price is just so tremendous; but, if you must, I can understand the desire to be the only owner. Have you driven any Mercedes yet? We just got a used C230 coupe with about 50k miles on it to be my wife's commuter, but it really a pleasant ride and fun to drive.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You might also have a look at the new Ford Taurus SHO. I know what you're thinking. Just have a look. I haven't been in the new ones, so I can't say for sure how they are in the luxury department. From what I've read, much nicer than a standard Taurus. I suspect nicer than average, boring Ford interior but not as nice as BMW, Mercedes, etc. They're also reasonably quick for that size of car with a 365HP twin turbo v6 and from what I've read, handle much better than the old SHOs from the 90s (and hopefully more reliable). At around $40k new, they're worth a quick look.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll also say Audi, I'm a big fan. The S4 is worth another look, I don't know when the new RS4 is coming out but that's always worth a look.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow, a lot of Audi fans here. I just bought a 2010 S4. If 65k is the budget, the A4 and A5 are not going to impress; they're too cheap. 8-)

Eggplant Wizard on
    Hello
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    BMW 335, manual, 4 door.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    You might also have a look at the new Ford Taurus SHO. I know what you're thinking. Just have a look. I haven't been in the new ones, so I can't say for sure how they are in the luxury department. From what I've read, much nicer than a standard Taurus. I suspect nicer than average, boring Ford interior but not as nice as BMW, Mercedes, etc. They're also reasonably quick for that size of car with a 365HP twin turbo v6 and from what I've read, handle much better than the old SHOs from the 90s (and hopefully more reliable). At around $40k new, they're worth a quick look.

From what I have read, this car is a product of dark magic. I mean, the seats are air conditioned and have built-in massage. Like, what?!? Is there a way I can just buy the driver seat and put it in my living room?

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    TalondelTalondel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow, a lot of Audi fans here. I just bought a 2010 S4. If 65k is the budget, the A4 and A5 are not going to impress; they're too cheap. 8-)

I've never understood the appeal of Audi's. BMWs are usually more fun to drive, Mercedes are usually nicer inside, and the Audi never seems to be cheaper than either. I test drove an A4 and TT a few years back and was unimpressed.

I will say this: I drive an STi, and there's not much that I can't at least keep close to in time around a cone-crusher course. I've run with M3s, 911s (non turbo), Supra Mk IVs, E55 AMGs, Corvettes (not Z06), Evolution MRs, and either beat or hung close with all of them. The only car that ever absolutly destroyed me on a track day was an Audi RS4. Yeah, yeah driver skill and all that, but I've been able to hang in there with plenty of good drivers in good cars, but not that thing. It was unreal around a track. It should have been running with the 911 turbos and the other exotics. Nothing in our class could get near it.

Talondel on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I also never understood the appeal of Audis. Its a VW with one ring short of an Olympic emblem.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I also never understood the appeal of Audis. Its a VW with one ring short of an Olympic emblem.

I *heart* VW also. :)

Eggplant Wizard on
    Hello
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Audis have a pretty decent AWD system, and I think their lines are cleaner then BMW (although their grill openings have gotten ridiculous). I'm not sure if Benz has shaken off the stink of Chrysler yet: their Blu-Tec engines are pretty awesome though.

I like the new Taurus SHO too, a lot of tech and features for the money. Doesn't carry the status that a German make does, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. You'd have enough left over to buy a Miata to toss around.

I always liked the Infiniti M series more than the G's; I'd get the one with the power reclining/heated rear seats.

Djeet on
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

You just made me choke on my coffee with appall. :P

Have you ever driven an Audi?

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Agreed, and I have driven one (an 08 S4), not bad at all. I just made the mistake of driving an 09 335i immediately afterward.

Of course now I'm rocking the Legacy GT since I decided both the Germans were too expensive and I wanted AWD. Yeah, the S4 was nicer inside, but I get a warm fuzzy every time I service my Sube knowing it's likely 50% what I'd be paying for the Audi.

This is neither here nor there. In regards to the original post I'm gonna agree with whoever said the CTS-V. Haven't driven one, but everyone I know who has said they were pure sex (including a guy who rolls into work every day in a Mercedes SL65 AMG)

milehigh on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I have. I wasn't impressed.
    Though I am sorry about the chocking on Paul. :P

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2010
    I own a 2009 a4 and it is easily one of the most fantastic rides I've ever had, the difference between the 09s and prior models is huge.

Although, if you're looking to stay under 65k why didn't your dad look at the a6?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Jimmy King wrote: »

From what I have read, this car is a product of dark magic. I mean, the seats are air conditioned and have built-in massage. Like, what?!? Is there a way I can just buy the driver seat and put it in my living room?
    I totally forgot about that. Very cool. Not terribly shocking either. I had a '94 SHO that I drove for a few years. There are luxury features it has that I believe most Ford cars, even the nicer ones, still don't come with. I always liked my proper climate control stuff rather than just "make it hotter" and "make it colder" options.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wouldn't get an X3 over a 3-series. As far as I understand it, an X3 is a 3-series that is slower, handles worse, has less interior space and is more expensive.

japan on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    FWIW, audis in LA always seem to be "new money" cars - the lowest rung of Hollywood talent and Armenian girls with $$ fathers. BMWs are classier but I have no idea abt maintenance costs.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    japan wrote: »
    I wouldn't get an X3 over a 3-series. As far as I understand it, an X3 is a 3-series that is slower, handles worse, has less interior space and is more expensive.

Since it's basically a heavier 3-series with raised suspension the performance characteristics are expected. It's a wagon/suv, not a sports sedan. Power delivery is there and very smooth (as expected in a BMW), and it's easy to get in and out. One upshot is when calling around independent service shops to service my 3.0 liter X3 they noted that they don't get many in and they supposed that it was a bit more reliable then the 3/5 series and X5's, of which they see a lot more.

Edit: I wouldn't say it handled poorly. It handles like a 3-series with a 4 inch lift, which is to say a lot better then most SUVs in its class.

Djeet on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    japan wrote: »

And is pretty useless off-road. The 3-series wagon is the better car.

How much space does your dad need? Lots of people are recommending A4s and 3-series (which are great cars), but they're not huge, especially if you're going to regularly have people in the back seat. The 5-series/A6/E-Class is the more appropriate car.

I have a 330 myself and love it, but if I had kids I'm not sure it would be a great daily driver. At 65k you can get into an M3 but you're pretty far from M5 land. That said, you've got plenty of money for a 535, or even a 550.

You can also consider taking a look at the 550i GT, the 5-series crossover. Pretty slick car, that.

..yes, I have an affinity for bimmers, but all of the luxury brands are going to have comparable models.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    ImDrawingABlankImDrawingABlank Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »
    FWIW, audis in LA always seem to be "new money" cars - the lowest rung of Hollywood talent and Armenian girls with $$ fathers. BMWs are classier but I have no idea abt maintenance costs.

About par with most euro cars, a simple oil change can end up costing you $arm, plugs and wires $leg, and god forbid you have to go any further than that or you're looking at $rape. But a properly maintained car, especially if you can do your own work, they'll last you many, MANY, classy, fun, high performance miles.

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm actually surprised I'm the only one here suggesting the XF. It really is a fantastic car and as Top Gear has shown only a fraction of a second slower than an M5 (if you go XFR, which with a bit of haggling could probably be pulled off on your budget) and alot more comfortable, and unique than driving down the road in a BMW or Audi and seeing a hundred others as you go along.

EDIT: Sorry, couldn't get XFR, but could get XF Supercharged, which is the same 510HP engine.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The XF is a great car, no arguments there. And you're right, it does have the benefit of not being incredibly popular, so you don't see them everywhere. A good friend of mine has one and adores it, and it's easy to see why.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Seems like a BMW 550i would fit the bill. Similar size to his old car and has the BMW-ness that he likes. An M5 would be sweet but that's out of the 65k price range.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Not everybody likes the M5's 12 mpg, either.

Has he looked at the CTS-V?

wallaka on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Probably way cheaper than what you're looking for, but I recently purchased a Mercedes C300 Sport and fucking love it.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I do think that the M series would be too much car, and just an unfeasible gas-guzzler for his needs. The BMW 5 series and Mercedes E class seem like good lateral choices to the Lexus GS line. What are your thoughts on the current GS line as well? He hasn't given another Lexus much thought, but maybe he should...

limester816 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, you said the new Lexus's weren't doing anything for him.

They are great cars though. Not as much driving excitement as the BMWs but more refined. The GS is nice but I find the cabin a little claustrophobic. The LS is a dream as far a as big luxury sedans go. Everything is right with that car. It's like driving on a cloud. The only thing you might find wrong with it is that it's too good at being a big, smooth luxury sedan and doesn't have any of the handling excitement of the BMW 7 series or the grunt of the Mercedes S-class. If your dad wants a nice comfortable car though, the LS is where it's at and according to the Lexus website it starts at just about 65k.

edit: I work as a valet at an upscale restaurant btw so I have experience with just about all cars but only for about 5 minutes at a time so I can't really say anything about reliability, only drive-ability.

saltiness on
  • Options
    wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I find Toyotas to be boring, unengaging to drive, and have bland styling. The Jag XF is reportedly a fun car, and it's hard to go wrong with a BMW. I like the E320 though, I have a thing for diesels. 400+ ft-lbs of torque and 40 mpg? Yes, please.

wallaka on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The 550i and the E550 seem to be the best choices in their given manufacturer, so which one is better? I like the styling of both, maybe the Mercedes a little more, but not by much. Similar MPG's and engine power (though the E550 has a 7-speed, and the 550i has a 6-speed... don't think that matters since they're both automatic, but it would have to go through light snow and ice sometimes, so maybe the 7-speed would be better??).

limester816 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That's going to come down to which one your dad likes better. They're both good cars. The transmissions aren't going to make a difference.

saltiness on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Just a heads-up: with just about any car in the BMW 3-series, you _will_ feel every bump in the road. They are performance vehicles first, luxury second.

The 5 series tips that scale a little bit, but it's still mostly true.

Doc on
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm sorry, but I'm not following. Your father said a Lexus is not engaging. Which is true. Driving a Lexus is akin to giving up in the luxury car world - you get no respect from real gearheads, and you're essentially saying "I should have gotten a Toyota Avalon but my real estate friends wouldn't respect me unless I got the L badge."

If your father is looking for a truly engaging ride, I'd have to suggest BMW - and I'm a STAUNCH Audi fan. I've had 4 since I was 18 (my first car, and I'm currently on an S4 V8 6MT Stasis Car after having 2 A4's and an A3) but the BMW can't be beat for engagement. Tell him to get a 535i fully loaded. Beautiful car.

If not, take a second look at the S4 or the A6 with the 3.0T. Also, the CTS-V is a fucking fantastic car but no offense, if he's coming from a Lexus that engine is going to be wasted on him.

Audi has the world's best interiors. Those that disagree don't understand industrial and materiel design. If your father values the cabin, take another look at Audi past the superficial.

powerss on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    5 series with the 3.0 diesel. Seriously. 500 Nm of torque? Turn off the traction control and that thing will smoke the tyres all day, without breaking a sweat...

If you absolutely have to have a spark ignition engine, you cna;t go wrong with the 530 touring. If it's available in the U.S.A., a 535 Touring.

Also, get rid of the run-flats and fit some tyres that aren't made of rocks.

Donovan Puppyfucker on