As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thermal Grease/Paste in a Laptop?

AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin KoopantinoRegistered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey there.

So I'm about to do my semi-annual deep clean of my laptop. I figured while I was in there I might just throw some thermal grease/paste on the processor. Right now the job is being done by a square of what I assume is thermal tape, which is surprisingly thick.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

Concerns I have:

1) Thermal grease/paste may leak out onto other components due to laptop being moved frequently. Could cause a possible short with something like Arctic Silver 5 if it were to get into the wrong place.

2) Surprisingly thick thermal tape has been in there for years and it seems possible to me that by now it has bent the heat sink in such a way that there is now a gap there that thermal grease could never fill while staying in place and providing more efficient heat transfer.

Thoughts?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
AbsoluteZero on

• Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What sort of heat problem are you looking to solve? Can you describe the symptoms?

If none, you shouldn't risk damage by messing with it unless you're extremely hungry for experience monkeying with computer hardware or the computer is extremely expendable.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I could buy a new laptop if I destroyed it. It doesn't necessarily mean I want to destroy it.

A year and change ago I replaced the CPU in it with a 2.0GHZ Core 2 Duo and bumped it up to 4GB of ram. Ever since this puppy has run hot. I'm not expecting it to suddenly feel comfortable on my lap, but I would like to reduce the strain on the machine a bit.

Also monkeying with computer hardware is fun.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yes, yes it is fun to muck with computer hardware.

You should be fine with arctic silver, you dont need to slather the cpu/heatsink with it the pressure of the heatsink against the cpu should squish it to cover the area you need and grease doesnt really move around once its applied and squished and arctic silver is a shitty electric conductor.

tho your mention of a gap/bend in the heat sink is curious, can you take a picture of it?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm not 100% that there actually is a gap, as it would be a seriously tiny gap. But there should be no gap, the heat sink should touch the processor directly if I don't put any kind of thermal paste/grease/glue in there.

As such, I can't really take a picture of it, and I'm not sure how I would test for the presence of said gap... It may require some monkeying.

That said... I'm considering either Arctic Silver 5, or Arctic Silver Ceramique. The latter due to being non conductive and being reputable for staying put.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Silver 5 is practically dielectric. You have to have a pretty tricky line-up of circumstances to get in trouble with it.
    Anyway, hell yeah go nuts. Some laptops have no, or wholly inadequate (HP DVs, looking at you), thermal conduction solutions. I've also used Al and Cu shims on some machines (again, DVs!).
    gl, hf, dd

desdinova on
    wat
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    you should spread the correct amount of heatsink compound, install the heatsink, and then take it back off... see if there's a uniform square transferred onto the surface which didn't have any grease on it... if yes, you're safe... if not, there's too much space between them

illig on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thermal paste is just intended to fill the microscopic pits that processors and heatsinks have on their respective surfaces. Just use a very thin layer--mind that you have a latex glove or cover your finger in seran wrap... skin oil in the mix is no good--and you'll be fine.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I would also like to point out that better heat conduction is probably going to make it feel hotter on your lap, because the heat will transfer off of the chip more efficiently.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd stick with Ceramique. There really hasn't been much progress made in the way of thermal interface materials since AS5 and Ceramique hit the market. It's all been very incremental.

Considering that AS5 and Ceramique are almost equal in thermal conductivity, I'd use Ceramique to be on the safe side.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Okay so it had been a while since I'd taken it apart to have a look so I did today... and did some dusting while I was in there... anyways...

thermaltape.jpg

Two chunks of thermal tape and... wtf is that? I don't remember that being the thermal interface between the heat sink and the processor, i could have swore it was just another chunk of thermal tape.

Thoughts? It seems like a thin piece of aluminum but it's obviously left residue on the processor. What is it and how do I get rid of it?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's metal foil. It's used on a lot of processors that put off too much heat for thermal tape to work. The Xbox 360 makes use of it, or did last I checked, as well as many laptops. Unless it's a real low wattage processor, like those in netbooks, thermal tape is NOT going to cut it. The use of foil came about because it's easier to work with than any kind of paste when it comes to mass production.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That's good to know. I honestly didn't know what the hell that was.

So... can I use some plastic tool to just scrape that shit off?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg