As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT] and Beans

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    jacob: <3

<3

You and Bogart are my harbors of musical sanity in a world full of crazy people.

:?

In my defense, I know the difference between good music and music I like.

3OH!3 is the musical equivalent of junk food. There's zero nutritional value, but that doesn't stop me from consuming it.

Yeah, but just like some people can look at a greasy slider and go yum while others feel queasy, I literally can't listen to that without mentally throwing up.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    can you shoot aliens in the head with things other than sniper rifles?

I have a big pistol that I can headshot with.

But usually I just use the big ass fucking sniper rifle that tears people to pieces.

I hate sniper rifles.

God shut up, why do you hate great things.

I've upgraded this thing to ridiculous effect.

Cuts through brain cases like butter.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I wish 40k would go back to its utterly ridiculously awesome 80's roots.

It kind of does this on a semi-regular basis

I miss the totally mohawked out Eldar and stuff! 40k is all serious business these days.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    it was only ever on sega CD

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey Variable, give me a movie recommendation

Pleeeeease

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2010
    Criterion is having a sale on stuff they're not renewing rights on. I wish I just didn't spend tons of money.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I wish 40k would go back to its utterly ridiculously awesome 80's roots.

It kind of does this on a semi-regular basis

I miss the totally mohawked out Eldar and stuff! 40k is all serious business these days.

Aww

*pats*

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Elki wrote: »
    Criterion is having a sale on stuff they're not renewing rights on. I wish I just didn't spend tons of money.

:o what stuff?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    DUE, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is super awesome. Your beer recommendations now get top priority.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Hey Vari, I watched Fletch on instant today and it holds up pretty well. It's not a classic or anything but it's Chevy Chase being a funny dick and solving crime for 90 minutes.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    man there are actually some moments of clarity and cleverness in predator 2

when glover looks into a shop full of stuffed animals that are trophies

i think if you were to make a predator movie that's like a serial killer thriller kind of thing, set in a grimy future human city, with someone trying to track it down and figure out how it thinks, what it wants, etc etc - more effectively and seriously than in this movie - it could be a decent movie on the level of Alien.

Vaguely reminds me of SNATCHER.

don't know it.

i am picturing both profiling/investigation and awesome sequences of hunting each other through urban environments.

it always seemed weird to me that a species as formidable as the Predator would hunt mere humans, and that it would be so interested in hunting appropriately challenging quarry when it has a shoulder mounted auto-locking plasma ray.

SNATCHER was an early 90s Sega CD game. May have been on the PC as well, I dunno.

It was Blade Runner ish. You were investigating murders committed by artificial humanoids. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to go from there to aliens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPPdgBK3r8

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Seriously, besides the heavy weapons, this sniper rifle is my win button. It means Instant Win.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2010

Damn it, they always do this before I can catch them all.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just don't like them ok

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There's another Sega CD game that's also sort of Blade Runner-ish, Rise of the Dragon.

http://hardcoregaming101.net/riseofthedragon/riseofthedragon.htm

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hey Vari, I watched Fletch on instant today and it holds up pretty well. It's not a classic or anything but it's Chevy Chase being a funny dick and solving crime for 90 minutes.

Agreed. I caught it a couple of weeks ago on on-demand.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Versus is so so so bad. why am i still watching it?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I enjoy hiding from and sneaking up on and killing snipers far more than I actually enjoy being a sniper in games.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DUE, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is super awesome. Your beer recommendations now get top priority.

Seriously, go track down some Orval.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I enjoy hiding from and sneaking up on and killing snipers far more than I actually enjoy being a sniper in games.

You can't sneak up on me.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    bang!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

It is the best thing.

Silly geese deserve it. :x

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    WE WILL SHOOT YOU.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

But usually I just use the big ass fucking sniper rifle that tears people to pieces.

I hate sniper rifles.

Did they get rid of the wiggling effect when you use the scope like in ME1? I find that often there isn't enough time for me to use the sniper rifle, because my target is moving too fast for me to get a bead on them, what with the targeting thingy moving around all over the place.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Damn it, they always do this before I can catch them all.

Well, at least they always release new stuff. You should put their release of Dillinger is Dead on your queue when the DVD comes out; it's an interesting film.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    My favorite way to kill dudes in ME2 was running up out of cover and just beating some fool to death with the butt of my gun. I even did it to the Harbinger.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think that wiggle goes down as your skill in sniper rifles goes up VH. So maybe you just needed more levels? I dunno.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i love love love being a sniper in most games. Any stealthy sort of dick character is the way to go for me.

it's either snipin' or assassinin'

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    my contention is that many people who fall into the "don't allow women to abort fetuses" camp hold an innately disrespectful or demeaning attitude towards women

There is an argument that I've used here before. People mostly ignore it because I think it might be a little too crazy, but it goes vaguely like this.

The accepted medical definition of conception is when a fertilized embryo implants in a uterus. An unimplanted embryo is not "conceived" in a medical sense. This leaves room for things like emergency contraception, which results in the flushing (quite literally) of a fertilized embryo; or in implantation failure which is what happens to the majority of fertilized embryos - they fail to implant and are simply sloughed out.

However, a lot of pro-life groups conflate fertilization with conception. All it takes, according to their definitions, for a human being to conceive is for a sperm and an egg to meet. The implantation stage, to them, is a minor detail.

That anti-choicers are willing to ignore the importance of a uterus in their definition of "conception" betrays their mindset. According to mainstream medicine, sperm + egg + uterus = embryo. According to Focus on the Family et. al, only sperm + egg = embryo. To them, the uterus is merely a stage, a place upon which the interesting action occurs. To us, the uterus is an organ; an organ attached to a living, breathing, thinking, feeling adult.

In the pro-choice viewpoint, unplanned pregnancy without the right to abortion is basically forced organ donation. It would be stating, effectively, that a woman's uterus is not her own - that once she gets pregnant, she is forced by law to donate her uterus to another entity. In the pro-life viewpoint, the woman fades into the background much as a stage fades into the background of a theater production; it holds no more importance than a setting, and the owner has no more right to cease the embryonic development than a stage hand would have the right to walk out from behind the curtain and demand that Hamlet kill his stepfather.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Best was sniping/fighting snipers in red orchestra on servers with no death messages. Hanging with some buddies in a trench, looking ahead, you look back, all the buddies around you are dead "oh shit oh shit"

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Did they get rid of the wiggling effect when you use the scope like in ME1? I find that often there isn't enough time for me to use the sniper rifle, because my target is moving too fast for me to get a bead on them, what with the targeting thingy moving around all over the place.

You don't have weapon stats anymore - they're totally based on your own skill and on what your class can equip. So the two classes that can use sniper rifles don't have any of that swaying crap.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I hate sniper rifles.

Sniper rifle mechanic spoilers:
    Dogg, your class skill slows down time. The scope is pretty steady and I found it easy to follow targets. But yeah, time is slowed when scoped for a longer duration for each rank you buy in your class skill.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think that wiggle goes down as your skill in sniper rifles goes up VH. So maybe you just needed more levels? I dunno.
    Yeah, I've definitely found that too be true. I'm getting pretty close to maxed out on my sniper rifle skill, but at this rate, I'm guessing there's still going to be a lot of wiggling even then.

At that point, I'm just going to have to upgrade my rifle to ones with higher accuracy, but I'm betting the wiggle never completely goes away.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sniping is too easy.

Point. Click. Kill.

I want more excitement and challenge from my gaming experience.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Watching Frisky Dingo reruns. I love Killface.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    bang!

I was 5 and he was 6
    we rode on horses made of sticks
    He wore black and I wore white
    He would always win the fight

Cinders on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    There's another Sega CD game that's also sort of Blade Runner-ish, Rise of the Dragon.

http://hardcoregaming101.net/riseofthedragon/riseofthedragon.htm

I really want to play the Shadowrun Sega-CD game.

I may, someday.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There's only one FPS I'm any good at online; F.E.A.R. . I wonder if it still exists.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

My favorite tactic is one throw away shot from my hide. Then move to another one with a good field of fire on my first hide. And pick off the sneaky bastards as they surprise some empty air.

Thomamelas on
This discussion has been closed.