As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

More Question Time, Please (MORE?! You want MORE?!)

GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, ProbablyWatertown, WIRegistered User regular
edited February 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Did you like Question Time? You did? Would you like more of it?

Well, don't just sit there, sign something. And before you think this is some partisan thing, look at the list of people that got together to make the petition:
Kate Albright-Hanna, Director of Online Video, Obama ‘08
David All, President, David All Group
David Almacy, White House Internet Director, 2005-2007
Michael Bassik, Former Chief Digital Officer of Air America; SVP at Global Strategy Group
Ralph Benko, author, The Websters’ Dictionary: How to Use the Web to Transform the World
L. Brent Bozell III, Founder and President, Media Research Center
Cheryl Contee, Co-founder, Jack & Jill Politics
David Corn**, Washington Bureau Chief, Mother Jones, and columnist, PoliticsDaily.com
Ana Marie Cox, Founding editor of Wonkette
Susan Crawford, University of Michigan; former staff member, National Economic Council
Soren Dayton, New Media Strategies
Chuck Defeo, President & CEO, Connell Donatelli
Esther Dyson, chairman, EDventure Holdings; director, Sunlight Foundation
Allison Fine, Senior fellow, Demos
Mindy Finn**, Republican political consultant, co-founder, Engage
Todd Gitlin, Columbia University
Scott Heiferman, Founder and CEO, Meetup
Jon Henke**, Arts & Labs
Chris Hughes, Coordinator of Online Organizing, Obama ‘08
Andrew Keen, Author and entrepreneur
Phil Kerpen, Vice President, Policy; Americans for Prosperity
Liz Mair, VP of Hynes Communications, former RNC Online Communications Director
Mark McKinnon, Former media advisor to President Bush
Ari Melber, Net movement correspondent, The Nation
Mike Moffo**, VP at SS+K
David Moore, Director, OpenCongress.org
Ed Morrissey, Blogger, HotAir.com
Markos Moulitsas, Blogger, DailyKos
Craig Newmark, Founder and consumer service representative, Craigslist
Phil Noble, Founder, PoliticsOnline.com
Grover Norquist, President, Americans for Tax Reform
Pierre Omidyar, Founder, eBay
Tim O’Reilly, Founder & CEO O’Reilly Media
Eli Pariser, President of MoveOn.org
James Pinkerton, Fellow, New America Foundation
Harold Pollack, University of Chicago
Bill Press, Bill Press Radio Show
Andrew Rasiej, Founder, Personal Democracy Forum
Glenn Reynolds**, Blogger, Instapundit
James Rucker, Executive Director, Color of Change
Patrick Ruffini, Republican consultant, former Republican National Committee eCampaign Director
Leslie Sanchez, Author and Republican strategist
Clay Shirky, New York University
Nate Silver, Blogger, Fivethirtyeight.com
David L. Sifry, Founder of Technorati, CEO of Offbeat Guides
Micah L. Sifry**, Editor, techPresident.com
Zephyr Teachout, Fordham University
Baratunde Thurston, Co-founder, Jack & Jill Politics
Mike Turk, Former e-Campaign Director, Bush-Cheney ‘04 and former RNC e-Campaign Director
Katrina vanden Heuvel, Editor, The Nation
Jimmy Wales, Founder, Wikipedia
Michael Wesch, Kansas State University

Look at that. Just fucking look at that list. That is the kind of thing you want to see, especially these days. Total, the petition has, as of this post, 9,232 signatures.

I considered putting this in the Obama thread, but I prefer not to risk it getting too megathready, so new thread ahoy. And so we actually have a debate going, what kind of format would you want? How often? Partisan or bipartisan? Joint session or one chamber at a time? How long do they go per session? How do you pick who gets to ask and when? Followup questions or no, etc.?

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
Gosling on

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm kinda, eh, on the whole subject actually.

Yeah, it was great for the President against the Pubs last week, and with the Dems this week. But, really? Something about taking something from parliament (or rather something else) and doing it here?

But I've already been yelled at in other threads for my wanting the President to be a bit higher in some cases than a PM, so I won't get into that here.

That being said, if we were to do this? I wouldn't put it up for a standardized thing. It would happen when it happens, or when it's necessary for it to happen. Post SotU, Necessary. Big Debates on Legislation, Necessary (to a point).

But a standardized, ritualized thing? It loses it's power. It loses it's meaning. How many people in Britain actually watch Question Time? Other than those who are politically minded already?

But, again, if this were to happen. I would say divide them up by House and Senate and then by Caucus. I would say by political party/affiliation, but then we'd get (currently) Obama and Bernie Sanders in a one-on-one conversation.

Which would be too much awesome in one room.

But it has to be done delicately. As far as who gets to ask the questions? I would say they should all deathmatch for it with lightsabers, but in reality the Leadership should get to choose who does or doesn't. Basically a, "We have two hours. I need the young face, the black face, the woman, oh and you Scott Brown. Right, make them good. We're only going to get this one shot."

and i need to sleep before I stop making complete sense.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    About 3m people watch it, but it's not about the number of people watching. It's about the discussion that occurs. That it's televised is a bonus, but not central to the point.

MKR on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    But a standardized, ritualized thing? It loses it's power. It loses it's meaning. How many people in Britain actually watch Question Time? Other than those who are politically minded already?

Americans are vastly more political, as a group, than those in the UK are. I think it would probably be watched a LOT more in the US than QT is in the UK. The general attitude over here towards politics is despair leavened with a hint of disgust.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Americans are vastly more political, as a group, than those in the UK are. I think it would probably be watched a LOT more in the US than QT is in the UK. The general attitude over here towards politics is despair leavened with a hint of disgust.

Also, the SoTU gets almost as many viewers as the UK has people. Even 1/4 of that for a regular thing will still be better than the ratings that most TV shows.

MKR on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really don't think making it regular has it lose its power. It entrenches the idea that the leader of the country is not beyond reproach, which in the US seems to be more of a problem then say the UK. You mythologise your presidents in a way we don't with our PM. You'd never hear anyone suggest that questioning Brown, or even say Thatcher was 'unpatriotic'.

Leitner on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    I really don't think making it regular has it lose its power. It entrenches the idea that the leader of the country is not beyond reproach, which in the US seems to be more of a problem then say the UK. You mythologise your presidents in a way we don't with our PM. You'd never hear anyone suggest that questioning Brown, or even say Thatcher was 'unpatriotic'.

Besides, we have press briefings five days a week, nothing of consequence ever happens in those, and they still grab a fair amount of the news cycle. Here you'd have more star power, less expected questions, less expected answers, an almost guaranteed break from whatever the current circular argument is, pretty often they'll have a member of Congress to badger that they don't usually badger, and hey, anything with the President in it...

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.