As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Please close) Snowed in , what game should I start?

useless4useless4 Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
We're getting another 24-30" of snow tonight still, so it's time to play a game but I have brain lock on deciding which one. Please help:

PS3: Borderlands (played maybe 20 minutes so far), Ghostbusters (defeated the stay puff marshmellow man - would probably have to start over forgot the controls), MAG (this is getting played regardless), White Knight Chronicles (Haven't made it to the credits- will have to fight wife for the disc since she is further along then me), Dragon Age Origins (Made it to the second act possibly... we are three lonely warriors at our first castle on the run...)

Xbox360: Fallout 3 (made it to the first town... not sure i am feeling this one might have to restart and give it a go)

PS2: Bully and Dragon Quest VIII both of which I have played a little but always heard good things about.

Out of these what is the best snowed in game?
I have a few I can play (conan, batman AA, uncharted 2) that won't take long to finish, the above are just the long engrossing games i can think of that i have.

EDIT : Still snowed in (Well not really, see below) and have a snow today tomorrow.

For the record: White Knight Chronicles is NO WHERE NEAR as bad as the reviews at IGN would have you believe. For someone who never had any interest in playing WOW this has sucked me in and giving into my wife's wishes I braved the crappy N. VA roads to get a second copy so we could adventure together.

I realized I could not only build a fence for my town but didn't have enough twigs to do it - that's when I knew MAG was taking a back seat this week!

So feel free to close this.

useless4 on

• Options
    HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oooh, that's a toughie. I'm gonna have to say Fallout 3, with Borderlands following as a close second.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    I'm stuck in the same blizzard! Fallout is sort of grey, quiet, and solitary. Maybe cabin fever will make the experience richer, Buuut I'd go with the more lighthearted borderlands. I'm playing through it and its a lot of mindless loot whoring, which is awesome.

Dragon Age would be a good choice too. From what I've experienced its pretty fun and the characters should keep you interested

Iruka on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm in the same boat and I'm playing through Mass Effect 2. I say Fallout or Dragon Age--long RPGs are made for crashing on the couch and playing all day.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm in the White Knight Chronicles thread reading about online playing and kicking myself - my wife said "Why don't we pick up TWO copies so we can play at the same time!"

I am watching her play on and off today thinking wow - we could be questing TOGETHER if i hadn't been so cheap.
    I really really wish they would offer half off second copy of games that can be played online.

useless4 on
  • Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow, there is so much Win going on with your choices. I wish i was in a position to be able to experience many of the choices you have provided for the first time.

Dragon Quest VIII is such a great nostalgic game, I don't know if you ever played the first Dragon warrior but DQVIII is like a wonderful trip to your childhood with better graphics.

Dragon Age is also a great game with lots of fun. Might i suggest the Mage build with the sword mage? much fun.

Fallout 3 is another nostalgia throwback, though less then DQVIII. So much fun, but easy to just wander off the story line and spend hours wandering the wastelands. Try Borderlands, similar feel with better colors and more action.

Thundyrkatz on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    High Five for DC area being FUCKED! I just found out I may have to drive to Dulles to pick up my gf whose flight was just nixed. Fun fun, its an hour on a good day with no traffic....

ANYWAY, Goodoldgames.com has Fallout 1 and 2 for like $6 each. You could spend all night and all day tomorrow playing those.

Personally, I've stared into Star Trek Online.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    My brother in law was supposed to fly into dulles tonight but he went to Florida instead to chill with his mother til it's over.

What part of DC are you in? I'm out in the Gainsville area down 66... It's coming down pretty solid here.

useless4 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm in Maryland over by Fedex Field (just inside the beltway, right below 50). It sucks here, also. I believe she's going to try and convince the ticket agent to give her a hotel.

Just to keep it on topic...the more I think about more than an hour or two of uninterrupted FO3, the more I'm certain it'd drive me insane. Just sayin.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd say Ghostbusters if you don't got anyone to play with online for Borderlands. And FallOut 3 for when you want to veg out and wander around Mad Max style.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Baltimore, baby! I'm personally going to be playing some Batman: AA because it's fun and takes my mind off of the drudgery of shoveling, trudging through snow, and the fact that I can't reasonably leave the house. Which is why I'm going to go with the Borderlands group.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd say Fallout 3 is the most appropriate. Playing through one kind of DC metro area wasteland while another is being created.

I'm in Bethesda and going with ME2.

Gork on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm kicking my self not getting Silent Hill Shattered Memories. It seems appropriate given the weather.

Also: Are there any good downloadable games anyone would recommend?
    I really would like a space combat game (where you sit in the cockpit - Remember Colony Wars on the PS1 or Starlancer on the Dreamcast?)

useless4 on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you're in the DC area snowstorm, from what I hear, there's a snowball fight being organized via facebook at Dupont Circle. Kind of like the one that happened last Snowpocalypse at U Street except hopefully the jackass who pulled the firearm will not be invited.

Anyway, that's where I plan to be this weekend. But as far as space flight games go, check out GoG.com and look at their simulator products. Decent stuff for cheap.

I suppose you also will have enough time to learn X3:Reunion without being able to ragequit out of it and go do something sunny and warm.

SammyF on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow, there is so much Win going on with your choices. I wish i was in a position to be able to experience many of the choices you have provided for the first time.

Dragon Quest VIII is such a great nostalgic game, I don't know if you ever played the first Dragon warrior but DQVIII is like a wonderful trip to your childhood with better graphics.

Dragon Age is also a great game with lots of fun. Might i suggest the Mage build with the sword mage? much fun.

Fallout 3 is another nostalgia throwback, though less then DQVIII. So much fun, but easy to just wander off the story line and spend hours wandering the wastelands. Try Borderlands, similar feel with better colors and more action.

Yeah, but Borderlands lacks the breadth or depth of Fallout 3 by a long shot.

Esh on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd go with Fallout 3, especially if you have the DLC. I played the hell out of that game over the course of a few weeks this summer. I think I clocked about 80 hours doing just about all the named quests (missed the Strictly Business quest) as well as just exploring. It definitely starts off kind of slow, but I think it gets a lot better.

SteevL on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Alexandria here! I'd definitely play some Fallout 3 if you haven't played through it. I have 2 play-throughs totalling around 110 hours so far, and I'm still playing it. I would definitely agree that it starts off slow, but once you leave the beginning area it gets great.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks all ended up going with White Knight Chronicles because the wife made me - Will start Fallout tonight and see how that goes.

THANKS!

useless4 on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Enjoy the snow :) It looks nice out the window...

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I had to drive like 60 miles in this shit today. Not cool. AND I missed the Dupont Circle snowball fight. I hear the Hotel Dupont built a snowbar and was serving in the middle of the road. I really wish I had been there to see that.

Might I recommend Star Trek Online? I've been playing it off/on all weekend and its good fun. Lots of folks in the WangFleet too.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm in the same boat. It was 60 degrees today. Oh wait. (Fuck you for hogging all of the snow. I haven't seen any in like 8 years :cry: )

If you have any portables, I'd recommend charging them up for when you're without power for a week.

Sir Carcass on