As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Are there any fun mods for Farcry 2? (PC)

Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I got this recently and I'm about five hours in. I'm liking it, but all the gameplay is kinda same-ish.
All I can find online are some really basic cheats, (ammo, invincibility, money etc) but I want to more spruce up my gaming experience. Like with Crysis and G-mod, how you can pretty much do *anything*.
Is there anything equivalent for Farcry?

2tyFzTC.png

Farout Foolio on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Basically the developers didn't want anyone doing anything with Far Cry 2 that could be "fun" in any way, shape, or form, so no, there aren't really any mod tools.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That said, if you have crysis, and it sounds like you do, check out "Mechwarrior: Living Legends", because it's nifty.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You could use the Disc as a Frisbee that might fun for a bit

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yea, I tried a pretty extensive search just a few days ago and came up with nothing.

Shame, because an SDK would be great with this game and go well with the map editor.

Daemonion on
  • JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    No mod tools = no mods. The FarCry 2 devs seem to have forgotten how many games became extremely popular because of their mods.

JWFokker on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Barely any in the entire scope of games?

Dunia isn't really set up for it. You're better off using the very similiar Crysis engine.

FyreWulff on
    edited February 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Barely any in the entire scope of games?

Dunia isn't really set up for it. You're better off using the very similiar Crysis engine.

So I guess the id, Source and Unreal engine games aren't immensely popular because of their enormous mod communities?

And Crysis isn't exactly the best modding platform. CryTek does a really shitty job of supporting and patching their games. MWLL is one of the few Crysis mods still in active development and the only one to release anything substantial. Most of the rest of the Crysis mod community is just reusing base game assets and not producing anything new.

JWFokker on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    So, 3 games got popular mods. Cool. Too bad there's thousands of games.

Ubisoft games have never really been known for official mod tools. They make games, release, and move on.

Most of the rest of the Crysis mod community is just reusing base game assets and not producing anything new.

Just like every other game that supports mods :D

FyreWulff on
    edited February 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    So, 3 games got popular mods. Cool. Too bad there's thousands of games.

Ubisoft games have never really been known for official mod tools. They make games, release, and move on.

Most of the rest of the Crysis mod community is just reusing base game assets and not producing anything new.

Just like every other game that supports mods :D

Don't be obtuse. Those are three engines I listed, not three games and you know it. A TON of games use those engines and they're all moddable.

JWFokker on
  • Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, because this game is getting boring really fast. I want like, a flying car or something. :P

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ha, I'm about 5 hours in too. Already bored, I looked up and used the cheats to make it less annoying, but it doesn't really help.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
    edited February 2010
    I guess the gameplay style just isn't for you guys. I like the slower pace and the more tactical combat. Reminds me of Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.

JWFokker on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    far cry 2 is actually one of my favorite games of the past few years, but i definitely understand when people don't like it. it's not a "friendly" game by any means and i definitely had to spend some time learning how to play it effectively. it's actively trying to be quite unpleasant and difficult, while forcing the player to learn to respond to situations with as much overwhelming violence as possible.

a few tips i would pass on that might help get a little more enjoyment out of the game-

1. use the bus! it doesn't cost any money, it autosaves every time you reach a destination, and it cuts SO MUCH transit time.

2. when you're driving, DON"T USE ROADS. cut across terrain as much as possible. this will help you avoid the inevitable patrols that WILL try to murder you.

3. if the gameplay seems same-y to you, try just experimenting with some crazy idea. get a few more guns under your belt (the grenade launcher, the dart gun, the flamethrower, the IEDs especially). you can actually accomplish missions in a shocking number of ways. use fire to drive enemies where you want them, for instance. if you think you might be able to do something, odds are you can probably get away with it.

4. don't be afraid to run the fuck away. sometimes discretion really is the better part of valor in this game. there's no prizes for wasting the last of your ammo killing four of the eight guys attacking you.

5. use the slide. when you're sprinting and you press (or whatever the crouch button is on the PC) you do a home-run slide into cover. it took me quite some time before i discovered this, and it made firefights much easier.

i know these aren't mods, but i thought they might help improve your experience with the game. i really do feel it's one of the underrated greats, partially because it isn't like every other run-and-gun shooter out there. (and that's without even getting into how i think it's one of the first really thematically anti-violence video games)

edit-

oh also

6. scout! keeping low and figuring out enemy placement is also critical in this game. you'll often be able to spot exploitable flaws in security that you can then structure an entry/exit plan around, without which you would frequently wind up cornered and out-gunned.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg