As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Week o Games, 2/7: Bioshock2, Dantes Inferno, Shiren the Wanderer

slash000slash000 Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Games and Technology

Another week, another 7 days of new game releases!

Welcome to the 101 edition of G&T's newly traditional "Weekly Games Release Thread!" - Week 2/7/10 - 2/13/10 !

Where we discuss what we're looking forward to, what we're going to buy, and what we're just now realizing is being released this week that we had forgotten about!

764979695_mxWkk-X1.jpg

dantesinfernobook.jpg

NDS

Best Friends Tonight
Scene It? Twilight
The Daring Game for Girls
World Cup Of Pool
Bookworm Adventures
Zorro Quest For Justice

PC

647566b.jpg

BioShock 2

ESD-SDE-W006.jpg

Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity

Stargate Resistance

N.E.O. Online

Square Logic

Windchaser

Galcon Fusion

PS3

270364b.jpg

BioShock 2

270052b.jpg

Star Ocean The Last Hope: International

270343b.jpg

Dante's Inferno

PSP

nothing

Wii

230769b.jpg

Shiren the Wanderer

230701b.jpg

Super Monkey Ball: Step & Roll

445.jpg

Blaster Master: Overdrive

Family Party: 30 Great Games Winter Fun
Rock Blast

Xbox360

200640b.jpg

BioShock 2

200616b.jpg

Dante's Inferno

200016b.jpg

World of Outlaws: Sprint Cars

Another good week!

Bioshock 2, sequel to the critically acclaimed and very fun and atmospheric first person shooter, comes out for the HD systems and PC this week!

Also out this week is the game that has made a name for itself for having a retarded marketing campaign; the God-of-War-Clone known as "Dante's Inferno" comes out for 360 and PS3. Don't forget to get Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy: Dante's Inferno: The Epic Poem: The Game: The Book while you're at it

The Wii gets two interesting games this week. The first is the Atlus-published roguelike sequel to the DS original, the game Shiren The Wanderer comes out for Wii this week. It looks pretty good, and should be as addicting as its DS predecessor. Also on Wii is the balance-board-compatible Super Monkey Ball: Step & Roll. And finally, I should mention that Blaster Master Overdrive comes out for Wiiware; we'll know the other wiiware games tomorrow.

For PS3, the console also gets Star Ocean: The Last Hope International Edition, the RPG that came out for the 360 almost exactly a year ago to lukewarm reviews.

Also I should mention that Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity comes out for PC, a bundle pack includes the original Sins of a Solar Empire, plus the Entrenchment and Diplomacy expansions.

I'll be getting both Shiren the Wanderer and Bioshock 2 at some point, and quite possibly Blaster Master on WiiWare depending on how it turns out. I think there's a demo available tomorrow too.

What's everyone getting?

slash000 on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fuck. Bioshock 2 is going to have to wait.

I'm saddened that I don't have a job right now... I've missed out on ME2 and now Bioshock 2.

urahonky on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Getting Bioshock 2 at midnight launch

Still unsure about whether it's a good idea or not

Most likely getting Dante's Inferno on payday

I am most certainly getting the book

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have no idea why I am so unexcited about Bioshock 2. I loved the first one and it was of the few games I actually finished in a couple sittings. I'm more excited about a new Shiren.

solsovly on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Getting Star Ocean International. It was the few games I was interested in after getting a PS3. Not sure about getting Bioshock 2 though, or which platform to get it on.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was skeptical at first, but the more I thought about it the more I realized I really, really want more Bioshocky goodness.

I'm all over that one this week, but there is no way I'm going to be able to get every game I really, really want in the months ahead. Splinter Cell Conviction, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Assassin's Creed II PC, and FFXIII all look great, but I'm probably going to have pick one of those to get launch day, if that.

At least Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2 will keep me entertained for a good while yet.

Darlan on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bioshock 2 is mildly tempting but i think i'm going to have to hold off for next week and AVP and the Miles Edgeworth game.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    weeskweeweeskwee Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    one of my busiest spending weeks sadly.

preordered the Sins of a Solar Empire: Diplomacy expansion on Impulse last week for $10, so i'm set to complete the trinity there.

definately picking up Bioshock 2 on PC.

Strongly considering Shiren the Wanderer just because it's Atlas, i usually get their good RPGs quick before they go out of print.

for sure picking up Super Star Ocean IV Turbo on PS3 (and i'll get rid of the original on 360).

had the PS3 version of Dante's Inferno on preorder for a long time, but strongly thinking of cancelling both that and my AvP preorders.

oh, and being a huge Blaster Master fan of old (2nd only to the nes version of Bionic Commando), i have to get the remake on wiiware. now i just need remakes of Strider and Trojan!

weeskwee on
    Nintendo Network ID: weeskwee
    XBL Gamertag: weeskwee
    PSN: weeskwee
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    weeskwee wrote: »
    had the PS3 version of Dante's Inferno on preorder for a long time, but strongly thinking of cancelling both that and my AvP preorders.

o_O What's to think about? It's getting shitty reviews and the word of mouth is terrible.

The only two others in this thread excited for it are Vow and a robot. Is that the sort of crowd you want to hang around? Your mother would be so disappointed with you.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    your sig is Yakuza 3 so i must side with you.

weeskwee on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    All those "terrible" reviews

The lowest any respectable reviewer gave it is a 6 from Eurogamer, it only goes up from there.

Protip: "Terrible" on review scales is usually below a 5.0

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What are you talking about? It's generally agreed that the problem with a 10 point scale is that anything close to 6 or 7 is terrible when it should really be mediocre, like on a test. The grading on a 10 point scale is usually only between 5-10

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And yet we see truly terrible games like Rogue Warrior get well below that on most scales, disproving that theory

What happens is that we treat ourselves with triple-A titles so that, when something truly average like Dante's Inferno may be comes along, it's comparably terrible

That said, I haven't heard a thing yet that has unsold me on the game.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    for me the negative feedback on Dante's Inferno is bad enough, but then reading it's only 8 hours and no multiplayer to extend it's value past the first week. i just can't see spending a full $60 on that right now. this goes in my "wait for a sale" stack along with Dark Void. i'll be sure to grab it at $30 or less on an Amazon sale in a couple months. ;)

weeskwee on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Multiplayer is DLC, but with that sort of game I wouldn't think multiplayer would be that important.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    And yet we see truly terrible games like Rogue Warrior get well below that on most scales, disproving that theory

What happens is that we treat ourselves with triple-A titles so that, when something truly average like Dante's Inferno may be comes along, it's comparably terrible

That said, I haven't heard a thing yet that has unsold me on the game.

o_O How do you think we define what terrible is in the first place if we're not comparing it to other games?

As for the reviews, well there's only like 3 reputable ones released in the first place, so they don't exactly 'all go up from there'. But regardless, I think you'll find that 6 is actually a terrible score for a game with as large a marketing budget as Dante's Inferno has.

weeskwee: Yep, because as every Yakuza enthusiast knows, disagreement = motorcycle to the face.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's good to know we judge a game's quality in accordance with how much was spent on its marketing budget

Oh wait, no, that's absolutely fucking retarded

If Yakuza 3 turned out to be lackluster, would you blame it on the fact that it had no marketing whatsoever? Of course you wouldn't (or, at least, a sensible person wouldn't)

Also, last line from the worst review of Dante's Inferno that's out right now (Eurogamer's):
    ll the same, Dante's Inferno is worth considering if you're a diehard hack-and-slasher fan who loves blood, gore, fire, brimstone, layered but simplistic combat systems and tits. This is more than one big lava level and it's not a terrible game. It's just not an original one, and it's arrived a little too late.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was able top secure my Bioshock 2 on Thursday (mainly cause I'm pals with the guys from my games shop) and can I just say "wow".

I was initially very sceptical about a Bioshock sequel, as I fell in love with the first game and it is quite easily one of my favourite games of all time.

But Bioshock 2 steps up to the plate and shines. Admittedly, it will never be as special the first time you entered Raptures mossy, water-strewn halls, but by God if it isn't brilliant anyway. Intensly sad and with a story almost as enthralling as the last one.

Would you kindly all go buy it when it comes out, as there's noone to MP with right now :p

- Seanron (that's also my PSN name if you fancy a gander at the trophies)

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's good to know we judge a game's quality in accordance with how much was spent on its marketing budget

Oh wait, no, that's absolutely fucking retarded
    o_O How did you possibly get that out of what I said? I never said a games quality is judged by its marketing budget, I was saying that marketing usually has an impact on a games review scores (with the bigger budgets usually having bigger impacts).

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Marketing has nothing to do with it whatsoever

That determines sales and sales alone

We see games with shit marketing get good review scores all the time and we see games with tons of marketing get shit on in reviews

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well sometimes marketing dollars leads to higher review scores.

I'm looking at you AC1.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I'm looking at you AC1.

Reviewers buy into the hype all the time. "Oscar worthy script" anyone?

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I'm looking at you AC1.

GTAIV, right?

Depends on what year at the Oscars they were talking about

It certainly had a better script than Crash!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I'm looking at you AC1.

I know, but I used AC1 a game with a slightly lesser overall score but many, many more glaring design issues.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I'm looking at you AC1.

I know, but I used AC1 a game with a slightly lesser overall score but many, many more glaring design issues.

Oh I know, I was just saying that it happens all the time. Every high profile release is affected by their marketing and the hype that comes with it.

Vow: Not really. GTAIV's script wasn't even good for a games script.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah but Crash's script was bad for an infomercial script

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I remember convincing my roommates to watch Brokeback Mountain because there was female nudity in it.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm getting Bioshock 2 and Dante's Inferno via Gamefly.

urahonky on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bookworm Adventures on DS, you say? Hmm...

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So what's this about a Blaster Master remake? Am I living under a rock? My dickssssssss

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I may have to break my backlog-vow to not buy new games for Shiren the Wanderer. Looks wonderful.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Blaster Master Overdrive is incredible.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i saw an anime movie based off of the dantes inferno game

it was the most terrible.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm picking up Bioshock 2 and Dante's Inferno tonight at midnight.

I actually think Bioshock 2 looks kind of stupid and I'm going to play it out of spite because I loved the first game. I think I'm going to have a blast with Dante's Inferno because I love character action games and actually really enjoyed the demo.

I'm not saying this stuff to be contrarian at all, it's just my honest opinion right now. Looking forward to seeing if the quality of either game changes my mind. :)

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Bookworm Adventures on DS, you say? Hmm...

i am also intrigued by this, i never played it on the PC. i saw the DSi game; but, if i remember correctly something about the description lead me to believe that it was gimped in comparison to it's predecessor.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    i saw an anime movie based off of the dantes inferno game

it was the most terrible.

Cant base a game off a movie though. Go play Dead Space.... Ill wait...

Alright. Fucking SWEET right? Ok now go watch the movie....Ill wait...

Yeah, not that great right? Pretty shitty even? Hm. Odd.

Im sorry but christ Dantes Inferno is getting shit on so hardcore for reasons I cant comprehend by the gaming community. I seriously want to know, and Ive said this before, when the Divine Comedy became the gamers book of books and they got ripshit over it. Ive...just...never known it was like that. This is just crazyness to me. I for one already ordered it a while ago and it shipped today from Amazon so Ill play it and love it. No reviews or people saying it sucks without having played it will stop me.

And come on. Bioshock 2. Atleast let us all rejoice about this yes? I want that CE but no copies left at the Gamestops here...hmm..

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's funny because DI looks and plays exactly like God of War, and yet people praise God of War like it's their job.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    It's funny because DI looks and plays exactly like God of War, and yet Sony fans praise God of War like it's their job.

Also, GoW has better production values and pretty decent action beat em up fundamentals.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The community turned against DI initially due to its idiotic and childish marketing antics. Once people found out it was a clone of God of War, without so much as a hint of creativity in design, it just made matters worse.

That's not to say it's a bad game. But people want it to be bad.

Kinda reminds me of Guitar Hero World Tour after Rock Band. But at least Neversoft tried a few new things that they came up with on their own instead of completely carbon-copying Rock Band.

I haven't tried it and probably won't bother. I have more awesome things to play.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just to reiterate for anyone who owns a PS3 and might be curious.

Do NOT get Star Ocean. It's really quite terrible. You may rent it, where you probably won't get more than an hour or two into it before shutting it off in disgust.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Gar kingGar king Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hope I can find shiren the wanderer in game-stop tomorrow. Also it does not bode well for sells that no one anywhere is talking about this game.

Gar king on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    zel999.png