As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Adventures of Batman and Robin (Genesis)! Finished.

SollahSollah Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
Welcome to my first Let's Play!

Here I'll be playing a good Batman game, one I very much enjoyed playing in my childhood, and one that, shockingly, isn't for the NES and isn't Arkham Asylum (and isn't the beat-em-up on the SNES either). Not to say those are bad games (at least definitely not the NES one anyways!), but I feel that this game has sadly been overshadowed by the other two (or three).

What is it exactly?

Click the spoiler below to find out!
The game I am referring to is none other then The Adventures of Batman and Robin for the Sega Genesis.

586008_38795_front.jpg

The only game developed by Clockwork Tortoise (well besides the SEGA CD version), it was published by SEGA themselves and is completely different from the Konami-developed SNES version. It plays almost exactly like Gunstar Heroes. You run and gun, you can use your fists/kicks/head if someone gets too close to you, and you have a mid-air attack that can propel you forward. Of course, there are plenty of differences between the two, making Batman and Robin more of a unique game and less of a rip-off. I could pick them apart and compare them side by side if you really, but that's just a waste of time and, honestly, you can see most of the differences straight away if you watch a few minutes of each on youtube somewhere. Instead I'm going to list the two most defining features of the game:

1) It's notorious difficulty. It just starts at hard and steadily escalates from there. The game isn't necessarily long, but some parts of it feels like an endurance test. Waves upon waves of enemies you must avoid and destroy to continue. Bosses are tough too and have a ton of health. To make matters worse, it's hard to find lives, although there are plenty of health items and power ups for your weapon along the way. Your weapon gets powered down with every life you lose however, so it's ridiculously easy to lose lives left and right if you're not careful.

2) It's beautiful graphics. It's got well drawn 2D sprites faithful to the cartoon it was based on plus amazing 3D effects used for the background. It uses a lot of special effects, much like Gunstar Heroes did, and pushes the Genesis to it's limits. With no slowdown at all, mind you.

I'm doing things a little differently.

I'm going to start this off by saying that I'm NOT doing voice commentary at all. I'm also not using screenshots, or going to describe to you what's going on. I'm definitely recording myself playing through the game, but I want to give people the option to see the game as it is without me ruining it for them.

Instead, I'm using youtube's annotations.

Yeah, those little annoying boxes that pop up when you're watching a video and it's always something like "PLZ RATE 5 N SUB!!!"? Yeah, I'm using those things. Except hopefully it won't be as annoying, and actually humorous and insightful. And, hey, if you don't like, you can always turn it off and watch me play if you really want to. I've spent a lot of time playing this game in my childhood and quite a bit of time on it over the last couple years as well. I'm not going to say I'm the best at this game, but I think I do pretty damn well.

With that said on with the show!

Episode 1

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!"

Episode 2

"A TWO SIDED STORY"

EPISODE 3

TEA TIME!

EPISODE 4

SNOW IN JULY?

Bonus Videos

palonelydriver.gif
Sollah on

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    "It's notorious difficulty. It just starts at hard and steadily escalates from there."

And you give me crap for not being able to beat the first episode. D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Notoriously hard, eh?

But are you actually good at it, or is this just going to be another IWBTG?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Notoriously hard, eh?

I'd say I'm pretty good. I've never died a lot and I've actually beaten the game quite a few times prior to this LP. Don't worry, though, you won't see me playing the same sections over and over, I'm fairly confident in that.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Notoriously hard, eh?

If you really want, I could record myself playing the game for comparison.

Nobody gives the Genesis enough credit for things. This is one of those things; as bad as I am at the game when I played it, it was good. The music is done by the same guy who did the Sub-Terrania stuff too I think.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, I dunno if it's a good thing if I bump this thread or not, but part 3 is up in case anyone besides Henroid is interested (NO ONE IS INTERESTED I'M ALL ALONE IT FEELS LIKE SOMEONE SHOT DOWN MY PARENTS IN A DARK ALLEY BOOHOO).

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So little love for Robin. This series actually made him seem alright.

Well, this series and the next after that.

Henroid on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have a speedrun with me beating it with one life somewhere, but it got beaten...

:(

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I guess a lot of people gave this game shit back in the day because it didn't have the music from TAS, but yeah, this has my favorite all time game music. Probably a pretty big influence in my taste as a youth. The game itself is pretty good too.

My name is Woodroez and I endorse this thread.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I updated it with part 4 a little while ago, but forgot to bump the thread.

Part 5 is up however, so even if you caught up there's something new for you watch!
    I have a speedrun with me beating it with one life somewhere, but it got beaten...

:(

I am kind of interested in seeing that, to be honest. Or at least the speed run you got beaten with.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I can speedrun the game in like 10 minutes.

... Well, that's when I game over. <_<

Henroid on
  • Options
    EskirrelEskirrel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I loved the youtube tab commentary in the LP. Also you are good at this game, if it was me I was going like OMFG RUN AND PUNCH

Eskirrel on