Options

Intro Spanish language book recommendations

SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'd like to relearn Spanish, and before I go fully diving in, I'd like to do work on my own to learn some of the fundamentals.

I figure I could buy 501 spanish verbs because it looks extremely handy and is extremely cheap.

Is anyone informed as to highly acclaimed beginner spanish textbooks? I have no idea where to look, but something approaching standard school-style, with full explanations of all the different particles and conjugations seems ideal.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
Septus on

• Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Unless you are going to become a teacher, why learn every different particles and conjugations before you can even have a plain conversation?

Learning a language is more than just being able to learn every verb and grammar rules.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Because with my experience trying to learn Japanese, I couldn't have had a plain conversation without an understanding of basic particles.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    LittleKeyLittleKey Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Honestly, I don't think you need a textbook. I have the Barron's version of 501 Spanish Verbs and it's good; I also have the Barron's Mastering Spanish Grammar book, that's good too. That's more than you'd learn in a textbook right there, not to mention the thousands of free online resources. Spanish is of course a very popular language; take advantage of all the information you can find on the internet.

LittleKey on
    oblivion-1.jpg
  • Options
    GafferoGaffero Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    LittleKey wrote: »
    Spanish is of course a very popular language; take advantage of all the information you can find on the internet.

Limed for truth. I still have this site bookmarked from my college Spanish courses as it's a handy verb conjugation tool in case you ever get stuck trying to work through one of the many tenses: http://conjugador.reverso.net/conjugacion-espanol-verbo-expresar.html

Gaffero on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gaffero wrote: »

To me, Spanish is all about Verb Conjugation. Learn them, you'll be fine.

MagicToaster on