As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

svchost problems?

OfficeBuddyOfficeBuddy Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
My laptop (WinXP home) is having problems with svchost.exe. :(

Symptoms:
svchost.exe is run by 'automatic update', and has a fit in which it grabs 99% of
CPU load and upto 10,000kb of memory.
If I use task manager to kill it, I then loose DirectSound. :?

Things I know:
svchost.exe is in the 'right' place; /windows/system32 and there are not more copies of it anywhere. svchost.exe is a generic windows thing that I shouldn't just delete :twisted: I understand that svchost calls many things, but this is XP home, not Pro, so I can't do a tasklist /svc in the command line to work out whats going on.

Things checked:
I've run AVG antivirus and SpyBot search and destroy. ZoneAlarm has been installed since day 1No viruses found,
and SpyBot only found tracking cookies. I use firefox and thunderbird. I have turned off automatic updates, and the system is then stable, sensible and usesable. Having automatic updates turned off is not a long term solution however.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

OfficeBuddy on

• djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Turning off automatic updates is a long term solution, run it manually when you want updates. I have seen this issue myself and haven't found a better solution yet either.

djklay on