Options

Google becoming an ISP? omg skynet

2»

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Seeks wrote: »
    Yeah, go ahead and give me a tinfoil hat. I don't think I can jump on board with this when they're openly and proudly collaborating with the NSA.

And who do you call for help when your business is hacked by a foreign government? The Better Business Bureau?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, go ahead and give me a tinfoil hat. I don't think I can jump on board with this when they're openly and proudly collaborating with the NSA.

Do you use Windows? Linux?

MKR on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Daedalus wrote: »

And who do you call for help when your business is hacked by a foreign government? The Better Business Bureau?

Hey now, the Better Business Bureau, or "The Triple B," takes that shit seriously. Why, I'm sure they recommended that Google join the 21st century with a nice icon based operating system and a few of those newfangled "CD-ROMs" the kids are going crazy about.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    My brother wants to know if this shit is real. I really don't have an answer:
    http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html

Really? Come on...think about it for a second.

Although, to be fair, I'd say yes and see how far it goes.

Unless it involves your toilet, which case tell him/her it's fake.

We'll I'm sitting here yesterday, trying to rationalize it. "Well perhaps they're not asking communities to actually do this. This is for the enthusiasts and hardcore fans of Google who are willing to give up their toilet. And I speculate that sewers and utility lines are not too far apart so it provides good data..."

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll admit, I didn't know the details of the google/NSA thing. Sounds a bit less nefarious than initially, less "hey, we're teaming up from now on" than I thought.

Regardless, the "Well, we basically don't have privacy anyway" argument is ridiculous. Every bit we have makes it easier to defend ourselves against intrusions, one way or another. Never, ever make it easy for anyone. Well, easier than it has to be.

Both, probably 20/80 Windows/Linux. Why?

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'll admit, I didn't know the details of the google/NSA thing. Sounds a bit less nefarious than initially, less "hey, we're teaming up from now on" than I thought.

Regardless, the "Well, we basically don't have privacy anyway" argument is ridiculous. Every bit we have makes it easier to defend ourselves against intrusions, one way or another. Never, ever make it easy for anyone. Well, easier than it has to be.

Both, probably 20/80 Windows/Linux. Why?

You don't think the NSA uses those without working with the people behind them, do you?

SELinux is an NSA product, they contribute plenty of code back, and they've worked with MS for years.

MKR on
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Relatively certain the NSA is already collaborating with the current ISPs/Tier 1 networks/what-have-you. I'd rather my ISP was upfront about it.

If you're worried about it, use encryption.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Apparently Facebook supports https. O:

MKR on
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wonder if emailing city hall about this would actually get someone to look at it and give google the info they want, or if it'd just get totally ignored...

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I e-mailed city hall using the address on the city website. It bounced.

Winder can rot in hell.

MKR on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Emailing city halls is useless. If you want to get a response, showing up in person or calling is the best bet. Most city halls are still living in the stone age.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png