As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG's in 2007 - Who's waiting for what?

1373839404143»

• Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lost Odyssey, anybody?

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Does anyone have any realiable source info about games for the PS2? Have they stopped making them or something?

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Does anyone have any realiable source info about games for the PS2? Have they stopped making them or something?

Not quite yet K_A. They'll be a few more over the next year or so. Even a few decent JRPGS.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Page- wrote: »
    I don't know. I found Grandia 3 to be completely unbearable; I could never get more than part way through the second disk. The battle system is interesting, but far too limited and quite easy. Plus, the characters are just lame.

Haven't played Skies of Arcadia before, but I've heard good things.

I did find a copy of Vagrant Story last week. Never played when it came out, and I'm enjoying it now. Except for the stupid risk system. It makes every battle take forever. Once you get good enough at chaining attacks to get high teens or better consistently your risk maxes out at 100 every time you attack, after which you either have to spend 2 or 3 actions lowering risk with items or just keep attacking the enemy for 0+1 damage. Tedious.

Grandia 3 for the first 3 hours, is like having sex with a supermodel with a 6 year old screaming in your ear periodically.

After the first three hours, the supermodel goes away and is replaced by a moderatley attractive cougar.

But now you have 3 six year olds screaming lines from romeo and juliette, acompanied by the previous 6 year olds screams. And now she screams ALL THE TIME.

You know...that's actually a pretty good description of the story.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Page- wrote: »
    I don't know. I found Grandia 3 to be completely unbearable; I could never get more than part way through the second disk. The battle system is interesting, but far too limited and quite easy. Plus, the characters are just lame.

Haven't played Skies of Arcadia before, but I've heard good things.

I did find a copy of Vagrant Story last week. Never played when it came out, and I'm enjoying it now. Except for the stupid risk system. It makes every battle take forever. Once you get good enough at chaining attacks to get high teens or better consistently your risk maxes out at 100 every time you attack, after which you either have to spend 2 or 3 actions lowering risk with items or just keep attacking the enemy for 0+1 damage. Tedious.

Grandia 3 for the first 3 hours, is like having sex with a supermodel with a 6 year old screaming in your ear periodically.

After the first three hours, the supermodel goes away and is replaced by a moderatley attractive cougar.

But now you have 3 six year olds screaming lines from romeo and juliette, acompanied by the previous 6 year olds screams. And now she screams ALL THE TIME.
    That's pretty accurate, really.

I lasted for maybe 45 minutes after Miranda and Alonso left (I'm not even going to spoiler that shit for Tw4win. The only decent aspects of that game leave FOREVER three hours in and he needs to be warned) before taking the game back and I never regretted it.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No need to spolier it. I've been warned before.

I also picked up the first .hack GU game - Rebirth. I just spent a few minutes with it and it seems OK. I think I'll probably play that in between bouts of Rock Band

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Despite the fact that the more enjoyable characters in Grandia 3 left fairly early, I still really enjoyed it. Fantastic battle system and unlike the first two games in the series, the difficulty level isn't mind numbingly easy.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've been stalling finishing Dark Cloud 2... partially because I don't want to be tempted to buy a 360 for Mass Effect quite yet, and partially because the final area seems like it's going to be annoying due to the fact that it seems to want me to rely on my depth perception and constantly running to look at the stupid paintings (requiring area load times).

So I'm grinding medals. It's painful. I already got the leopard-print bikini for Monica, and now I've nearly got the matching slut boots. If I'm truly a masochist, I'll then go for the cat girl ears... but that seems unlikely. I'm getting to the point where I can't get more medals without doing runs with Monica's magic or monster transformation (ignored most of the game) or fucking fishing. Oh, or items-only runs. I couldn't even do the sewers in item-only because they inevitably have the goddamn bats that fly over whatever you throw at them (even bombs).

Does dressing Monica like a whore have any statistical benefit, or is it just personal satisfaction?

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Does dressing Monica like a whore have any statistical benefit, or is it just personal satisfaction?

Only personal satisfaction, as far as I can tell. It's still worth it.

I've been at the last area for the last two or three years. I just can't bring myself to grind my way through it. Maybe someday.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Teriferin wrote: »

I've been at the last area for the last two or three years. I just can't bring myself to grind my way through it. Maybe someday.

I'm okay with that. I laughed when I first read the Panther Ensemble description: "For the sexy and elegant lady." I can find at least two words wrong with that description. Maybe three.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Did anyone get Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of Illuminus for the PS2? It was released on the 20th of November. I'll call in and find where my copy was.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Did anyone get Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of Illuminus for the PS2? It was released on the 20th of November. I'll call in and find where my copy was.

I did. It's ugly as hell compared to the 360 version but no 360 offline means I have to go PS2. If you're not a Phantasy Star whore I wouldn't bother. The character animations, story, dialougue, plot... everything is just awful.

Repetitive grinding for that ONE rare item tho? I LUVS IT

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I finally got Phantasy Star Universe from EB. The art looks good, so I think it shall be good, but I can't be sure until I play it.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Teriferin wrote: »

Is it bad that Dark Cloud 2 has been in my backlog almost since it was released and I've only played about 20 minutes of it? Should I be ashamed of myself?

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »

Is it bad that Dark Cloud 2 has been in my backlog almost since it was released and I've only played about 20 minutes of it? Should I be ashamed of myself?

I wouldn't be too concerned. The plot is ridiculous, the voice script is idiotic, and the entire thing is just one huge grind-fest. It does have redeeming qualities: the weapon skill-up system is at least interesting, the voice acting isn't bad despite the script, there's a lot of depth in gameplay, and the town building is kinda cool.

But I wouldn't call it essential gaming. The only aspect of the game that's in any way unique compared to other games I've played is the town building.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »

I wouldn't be too concerned. The plot is ridiculous, the voice script is idiotic, and the entire thing is just one huge grind-fest. It does have redeeming qualities: the weapon skill-up system is at least interesting, the voice acting isn't bad despite the script, there's a lot of depth in gameplay, and the town building is kinda cool.

But I wouldn't call it essential gaming. The only aspect of the game that's in any way unique compared to other games I've played is the town building.

I've heard that the town building was the best part.

Generally, I really like Level 5's stuff. That's the reason I picked up the game in the first place. I just haven't had a chance to play much of it because something else always comes along.

As far as RPGs are concerned, I generally like to play one really complex game and one game that I can boot up and play in short bursts. I always thought of DC2 as one of those types of games.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hey, now, I liked Dark Cloud 2. If you like Level 5 games, you should enjoy it. It gets a bit repetitive, but it's good light-hearted action RPG fun, and there's lots of little extras like the photography and town building.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    On the Dark Cloud 2 note, I'll recommend Rogue Galaxy if it hasn't already been mentioned.

Very similar but I liked the pacing and the feel more.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    With Odin Sphere done, and Suikoden II still mocking me, I opted to just work on Growlanser V instead.

I should finish From The New World or Xenosaga II, I guess, but I'm not ready to take on another traditional game yet.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Man, beat Luca Blight or I'm going to start mocking you. :P

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I could, but eh, it feels like I'm continuing on the wrong path. Though I really want to play III. I have since it came out.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Just power through Suikoden II, then, so you get the (admittedly small, but still hilariously awesome) transfer bonus to Suikoden III.

Oulan and Luc are all you ever need in Suikoden II anyway.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2007
    I hate missing out on the good endings. It's why I spent a good six hours redoing Odin Sphere's endgame three times(which admittedly was worth it).

Maybe I'll go through with it anyway. I really don't feel like redoing II.

And Growlanser V is nothing if not mediocre. The story isn't bad, but it isn't half of what II or III was either.

I also hate the gameplay compared to the other ones.

Mission Objective: Stop 18 soldiers from escaping, one of which has the document you're after. Which one has it? The first one that gets away.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So yeah.

DQ4 DS came in this week. Who says Play-asia ships slow. $25 shipping, but it got here in 12 hours, more or less.

It's actually quite neat. The accents are really over the top, but other than that, yeah, not bad. It's very, very close to a US release, I think.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Stigma wrote: »
    On the Dark Cloud 2 note, I'll recommend Rogue Galaxy if it hasn't already been mentioned.

Very similar but I liked the pacing and the feel more.

Dark Cloud 2 was great.

Rogue Galaxy was... not. It was so incredibly boring I quite before chapter 3.

Tw4in, if you;re not ashamed to have played DC2 then I will be ashamed for you. Of you.

Magic Pink on