As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Zelda TP Thread: Bug Battles/Spoilers!

sushiboysushiboy Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
Ok, I get to the final bug in the lake. I see it come out of the water and up into the air in the cut scene, but then thats it! No bug ever dives at me. I cant Z target anything. I used C to scan the whole area, and no bug! Am I missing something? I checked gamefaqs and all the guides just say to Z target the thing. I tried re-warping to the area, but with the same effect. What gives?

Edit: best to use spoiler tags, i suppose

Wii - 5850 0852 0940 2934
AC:CF - 1032 4742 8889
PM me if you add any of my codes
sushiboy on

• Options
    bobertoboberto Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Uhhh, are you using your sense ability to see it?

boberto on
    El+Boberto.png
    Wii code: 3958 1709 0590 7018
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SPOILER TAGS CHARLES!

The thread title too charles.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Check the town. There's one bug in castle town. There will be a spot on the map at the lake that won't show up until it's the last bug.

Samphis on
  • Options
    sushiboysushiboy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    [spoiler:4249666d69] egad! for some reason i didnt even think to use the sense ability. i guess since it was kinda a boss i thought that it would be visible to all.[/spoiler:4249666d69]

sushiboy on
    Wii - 5850 0852 0940 2934
    AC:CF - 1032 4742 8889
    PM me if you add any of my codes
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Make sure you use the B Button to beat him.

Samphis on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Damn, that sounds kind of cool. I didn't go searching for every bug, but a "final battle" of sorts sounds like it just might have made it worth it.

Almost.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LavaKnight wrote:
    Damn, that sounds kind of cool. I didn't go searching for every bug, but a "final battle" of sorts sounds like it just might have made it worth it.

Almost.
    its a mini-boss fight..i dont think you can avoid it ...

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LavaKnight wrote:

Almost.

There was no final battle for cellecting all of the bugs. I think that he is referring to the tear collecting thing where you kill bugs.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    OMG!!! You just ruined this game for me! I didn't know you fought a boss that was a giant bug in a Zelda game!!!

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cokomon wrote:
    OMG!!! You just ruined this game for me! I didn't know you fought a boss that was a giant bug in a Zelda game!!!

It's just after the part where Tingle dropkicks Link.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    mayor cigar facemayor cigar face Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is this about The Legend of Zelda: Escape from Bug Island? I hear it's going to be awesome.

mayor cigar face on
    godsoe.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Cokomon wrote:

It's just after the part where Tingle dropkicks Link.

Great, thanks. Now you just spoiled the end of the Tingle DS RPG for everyone.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Seeing as the other Zelda thread is locked and this one's rapidly spinning out of control, I figure I could drop this here. Endgame spoilers!

[realspoiler:da4084a5b5]So, a lot of people are either completely ignoring the "Zant cracks his neck/Ganondorf dies" moment, or merely dismissing it as symbolic of Zant dying with Ganondorf. However, the shot followed a long closeup on the triforce of power disappearing from Ganondorf's hand. To me it seemed obvious that the message was: The Triforce of Power has passed on to Zant, and his first act of its power is to finish the defeated Ganondorf.

While obviously I'm not saying "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED GUYS, ANY OTHER OPINION IS DUMB", I think it opens up interesting possibilities for a sequel. Zelda games have traditionally always had two games with each individual Link, one game with Ganondorf as the antagonist, and one game that takes a departure from the normal with a different antagonist (Link to the Past/Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass, etc.) It seems like Zant would be the perfect quirky antagonist for the next Zelda game, whenever it comes.[/realspoiler:da4084a5b5]

Any opinions?

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zant is as bad a villian as Vaati was.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    mayor cigar facemayor cigar face Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I liked Zant as a villian. At least his bossfight was awesome.

mayor cigar face on
    godsoe.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Seeing as the other Zelda thread is locked and this one's rapidly spinning out of control, I figure I could drop this here. Endgame spoilers!

[realspoiler:2afd8750ec]So, a lot of people are either completely ignoring the "Zant cracks his neck/Ganondorf dies" moment, or merely dismissing it as symbolic of Zant dying with Ganondorf. However, the shot followed a long closeup on the triforce of power disappearing from Ganondorf's hand. To me it seemed obvious that the message was: The Triforce of Power has passed on to Zant, and his first act of its power is to finish the defeated Ganondorf.

While obviously I'm not saying "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED GUYS, ANY OTHER OPINION IS DUMB", I think it opens up interesting possibilities for a sequel. Zelda games have traditionally always had two games with each individual Link, one game with Ganondorf as the antagonist, and one game that takes a departure from the normal with a different antagonist (Link to the Past/Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass, etc.) It seems like Zant would be the perfect quirky antagonist for the next Zelda game, whenever it comes.[/realspoiler:2afd8750ec]

Any opinions?

That raises a good point.

[realspoiler:2afd8750ec]There are multiple Links and Zeldas, are there multiple Ganondorf's? His origin story in this one is different from what we learned/saw in OoT. I wonder if Ganondorf is continually reborn like Link and Zelda, each time being possessed by Ganon.[/realspoiler:2afd8750ec]

Cokomon on
    post.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cokomon wrote:

[realspoiler:7110468e68]So, a lot of people are either completely ignoring the "Zant cracks his neck/Ganondorf dies" moment, or merely dismissing it as symbolic of Zant dying with Ganondorf. However, the shot followed a long closeup on the triforce of power disappearing from Ganondorf's hand. To me it seemed obvious that the message was: The Triforce of Power has passed on to Zant, and his first act of its power is to finish the defeated Ganondorf.

While obviously I'm not saying "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED GUYS, ANY OTHER OPINION IS DUMB", I think it opens up interesting possibilities for a sequel. Zelda games have traditionally always had two games with each individual Link, one game with Ganondorf as the antagonist, and one game that takes a departure from the normal with a different antagonist (Link to the Past/Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass, etc.) It seems like Zant would be the perfect quirky antagonist for the next Zelda game, whenever it comes.[/realspoiler:7110468e68]

Any opinions?

[realspoiler:7110468e68]There are multiple Links and Zeldas, are there multiple Ganondorf's? His origin story in this one is different from what we learned/saw in OoT. I wonder if Ganondorf is continually reborn like Link and Zelda, each time being possessed by Ganon.[/realspoiler:7110468e68]

[realspoiler:7110468e68]I read the Zant scene as just showing that as Ganon dies Zant dies as well (remember how he said as long as Ganon was alive he would be ressurected). Occam's Razor says I'm right but it's all very open to interpretation.

I think this Ganon is the OoT Ganon as when at the end of OoT Link got sent back to the past this effectively undid all the unsealing the Temple of Time and giving Ganon the massive powers to take over the world, hence he made his invasion many years later with only his own magics and Triforce of power (which somehow got sent back in time as well?) and failed.

And Zant was awesome. Fucker was cerrazy.[/realspoiler:7110468e68]

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Chen wrote:
    What? Zant is rad.

Elendil on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I loved the fight against Zant(o... I don't know why they had to add that "O").

And I loved his dungeon.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    rightbelowrightbelow Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There are little birds in the Sacrd Grove that look exactly like golden bugs. I spent like half an hour trying to catch one. (that is one example of many why my save file is 90 hours :D)

rightbelow on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cokomon wrote:

[realspoiler:ac97b59f17]So, a lot of people are either completely ignoring the "Zant cracks his neck/Ganondorf dies" moment, or merely dismissing it as symbolic of Zant dying with Ganondorf. However, the shot followed a long closeup on the triforce of power disappearing from Ganondorf's hand. To me it seemed obvious that the message was: The Triforce of Power has passed on to Zant, and his first act of its power is to finish the defeated Ganondorf.

While obviously I'm not saying "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED GUYS, ANY OTHER OPINION IS DUMB", I think it opens up interesting possibilities for a sequel. Zelda games have traditionally always had two games with each individual Link, one game with Ganondorf as the antagonist, and one game that takes a departure from the normal with a different antagonist (Link to the Past/Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass, etc.) It seems like Zant would be the perfect quirky antagonist for the next Zelda game, whenever it comes.[/realspoiler:ac97b59f17]

Any opinions?

[realspoiler:ac97b59f17]There are multiple Links and Zeldas, are there multiple Ganondorf's? His origin story in this one is different from what we learned/saw in OoT. I wonder if Ganondorf is continually reborn like Link and Zelda, each time being possessed by Ganon.[/realspoiler:ac97b59f17]

[realspoiler:ac97b59f17]I read the Zant scene as just showing that as Ganon dies[real Zant dies as well (remember how he said as long as Ganon was alive he would be ressurected). Occam's Razor says I'm right but it's all very open to interpretation.

I think this Ganon is the OoT Ganon as when at the end of OoT Link got sent back to the past this effectively undid all the unsealing the Temple of Time and giving Ganon the massive powers to take over the world, hence he made his invasion many years later with only his own magics and Triforce of power (which somehow got sent back in time as well?) and failed.

And Zant was awesome. Fucker was cerrazy.[/realspoiler:ac97b59f17]

[realspoiler:ac97b59f17]But the "Zant got his power from Ganon, and would stay alive as long as Ganon did" only adds to the Triforce of Power theory, if you want to look at it that way. Ganon's power comes from the Triforce of Power, therefore if the Triforce is passed on when Ganon dies then Zant very much stays alive. And who more suitable for the Triforce to pass on to than somebody who'd already been channeling a great deal of its power?[/realspoiler:ac97b59f17]

Anyway, I very much doubt my theory will come to reality. But still, it's nice to try to extrapolate. Anyone remember the Matrix: Reloaded discussion thread before that came out?

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I just got to the Twilight Mirror. I'm staying the fuck out of this thread.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hated the bug shit in wolf form, maybe worse than the keys in prime 2.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, it kind of reminded me of the Triforce stuff in Wind Waker. It was just an arbitrary way to extend the length of the game.

Cokomon on
    post.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    Chen wrote:
    What? Zant is rad.
    As a boss, maybe, but he fails as a villian. I didn't feel any compassion or hatred for him. Even Volvagia had more depth. Those poor Goron. :cry:

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    [realspoiler:9025fc62a9]But the "Zant got his power from Ganon, and would stay alive as long as Ganon did" only adds to the Triforce of Power theory, if you want to look at it that way. Ganon's power comes from the Triforce of Power, therefore if the Triforce is passed on when Ganon dies then Zant very much stays alive. And who more suitable for the Triforce to pass on to than somebody who'd already been channeling a great deal of its power?[/realspoiler:9025fc62a9]
    [realspoiler:9025fc62a9]I don't think so. The Triforce of Power would likely pick itself a new owner, like how Courage and Wisdom did when it first separated. Zant may have valued power, but he had no real power of his own. Not to mention that he was probably left dead by Ganon and was unable to enter Hyrule.[/realspoiler:9025fc62a9]

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cokomon wrote:
    Yeah, it kind of reminded me of the Triforce stuff in Wind Waker. It was just an arbitrary way to extend the length of the game.
    No, it did several things:
    -Introduced you to the area and the effects of the Twilight
    -Forced you to explore a bit
    -Showed off the wolf's abilities

I'm thinking especially of the Eldin sequence.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:
    Cokomon wrote:

I agree that it was a way to lengthen the game but I also felt it was a relevant and enjoyable way to do so.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:
    Cokomon wrote:

Additionally, it [spoiler:c93a9bdaca]provided not only a reasonable, but amusing excuse for why you couldn't get bombs at that point in the game[/spoiler:c93a9bdaca]

Jragghen on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:
    Cokomon wrote:

That was a problem I had with it. Once you were a wolf, you stayed a wolf until you were done with it. Forcing the player along such a narrow path really isn't very Zelda to me.

Renzo on
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Renzo wrote:
    YesNoMu wrote:
    Cokomon wrote:

That was a problem I had with it. Once you were a wolf, you stayed a wolf until you were done with it. Forcing the player along such a narrow path really isn't very Zelda to me.

Agree. Besides being stuck in wolf mode, Midna would also prevent you from exploring further until you were done in the current area. I disliked Metroid Fusion a lot for a similar reason (computer blocks access to all sectors but the one you're supposed to go to). Dammit, let me explore as far as my abilities can get me.

It'd be nice if they had put in minibosses instead of the critters. A worse chore though was the bit where you
    [spoiler:510b3b01a3]go looking for symbols, um, missing from your book or something... hidden under statues... Didn't take long, but it didn't make much sense. Those statues outside of Kakariko could have just been secrets, and we'd feel good about remembering where we had seen them.[/spoiler:510b3b01a3]

Firebrand on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Renzo wrote:
    YesNoMu wrote:
    Cokomon wrote:

Wind Waker had the same problem. Not that I'm defending it, though.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The bug-hunting sections didn't last very long, and I for one truly enjoyed them, mainly because I liked discovering the new areas as a wolf, and I loved the whole shadow world atmosphere a whole alot more then the light world (that's also part of why I liked the first third of the game the best).

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you haven't, look closely at the golden wolf the next chance you get, as a wolf. There's a ton of detail there that's never seen.[spoiler:4bd3995519]He looks very old, with white fur all over. From the front, it's obscured by the face and snout, but from the side it's very noticeable. He's got the same pattern as you do on the side, but it's faded and streaked. Like his skeleton counterpart, he's missing an eye. You can clearly see him breathe heavily, as well. It seems like he's about to keel over and die.[/spoiler:4bd3995519]It's absurd how much minor detail is put into the game.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Question regarding hidden skill #3:

[spoiler:7285d45aca]I sang the song next to the boating place as a wolf, but now that I'm link the white wolf won't appear in front of the castle gate. I also don't have the white wolf icon on my map. This tells me that I probably forgot to save or something after singing th song. Am I screwed until I can become a wolf again?[/spoiler:7285d45aca]

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited January 2007
    The wolf parts in the twilight, hunting for bugs, were my favorite part of the game. Soooo gorgeous.

You also got to look at the world from a different angle. There were a lot of touching scenes to see from characters while you were wolf cruising the twilight.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    h3nduh3ndu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:
    If you haven't, look closely at the golden wolf the next chance you get, as a wolf. There's a ton of detail there that's never seen.[spoiler:7707f4b295]He looks very old, with white fur all over. From the front, it's obscured by the face and snout, but from the side it's very noticeable. He's got the same pattern as you do on the side, but it's faded and streaked. Like his skeleton counterpart, he's missing an eye. You can clearly see him breathe heavily, as well. It seems like he's about to keel over and die.[/spoiler:7707f4b295]It's absurd how much minor detail is put into the game.

I got my old man to try TP out - he got to looking around and was amazed - his reaction almost verbatum - "There's so much here - things I'd never notice unless I really took time to look, I guess that's what makes the game really feel great."

h3ndu on
    Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea.
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited January 2007
    Mace1370 wrote:

[spoiler:46f5c9d941]I sang the song next to the boating place as a wolf, but now that I'm link the white wolf won't appear in front of the castle gate. I also don't have the white wolf icon on my map. This tells me that I probably forgot to save or something after singing th song. Am I screwed until I can become a wolf again?[/spoiler:46f5c9d941]
    Yeah.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Chen wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    Chen wrote:
    What? Zant is rad.
    As a boss, maybe, but he fails as a villian. I didn't feel any compassion or hatred for him. Even Volvagia had more depth. Those poor Goron. :cry:
    Compared to Ganondorf in most games, Zant is a 100x better villian in terms of feeling compassion or hatred (excluding Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, I guess)

Pooch on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    Mace1370 wrote:

[spoiler:3fe1995aa4]I sang the song next to the boating place as a wolf, but now that I'm link the white wolf won't appear in front of the castle gate. I also don't have the white wolf icon on my map. This tells me that I probably forgot to save or something after singing th song. Am I screwed until I can become a wolf again?[/spoiler:3fe1995aa4]
    Yeah.

Lame. Thanks for the info, though.

Mace1370 on