As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop With Loose Display Connector

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
While I wait on that graphics card to arrive, I guess I'll look into my other, longer lasting problem.

I have an HP laptop that's less than a year old. A couple of months ago, I noticed an issue where my display would shut off, yet the laptop would still be running. Adjusting the top slightly would fix the display, but clearly there's a loose wire or something. It's a minor issue, but it can get pretty annoying when closing and opening the lid.

Talking to a couple of people pinpoint the issue to a loose I/O connector. Supposedly this is easy enough for fix, but since the laptop is out of warranty (note: never buy your products from CompUSA. I learned that the hard way), HP wants to charge nearly $400 for the repair. That's more than I paid for the freaking laptop.

So the way I see it, I have two options.

1. Find a Mom and Pop computer store that can handle the repair at a much cheaper rate.

2. Open up the top and try and adjust the connector myself.

The latter apparently is simple enough to do, but I would like a site or two that shows the steps to open up the laptop and which wire I would need to fix.

And please spare me the "it's easy enough to do but with YOUR history..." line. :?

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If it cost you like 200 Euro, isn't mission critical for anything (studies etc.) and hasn't warranty anyway I would be like this:

215553137_eFbNy-L-2.jpg

(Crack that bitch open) - But I am used to taking iBooks appart. IMO you will need some solder skill if it is indeed a loose port connection - If you don't, then a PC shop would be the better solution.

edit:

A service manual for taking a certain model apart is handy too, if you can get your paws on it.

edit edit:

If you are finished calibrating those guns ;)

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    If it cost you like 200 Euro, isn't mission critical for anything (studies etc.) and hasn't warranty anyway I would be like this:

215553137_eFbNy-L-2.jpg

(Crack that bitch open) - But I am used to taking iBooks appart. IMO you will need some solder skill if it is indeed a loose port connection - If you don't, then a PC shop would be the better solution.

edit:

A service manual for taking a certain model apart is handy too, if you can get your paws on it.

edit edit:

If you are finished calibrating those guns ;)

I've never soldered anything in my life, and if it comes to that I'd rather have a pro handle it. I don't like underestimating myself (or being underestimated), but I also know my limits.

The question now is how to find a decent PC repair shop. What kind of terms would work best on yellowpages.com? Last time I checked I tried "PC Repair" and just got a bunch of websites.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, in most cases these ports are a) directly soldered to the mainboard (which makes sense, because it saves space in a device where space is premium) b) In some rare case I have seen them tucked on with a flat ribbon cable - but here is still the chance that the connection towards the VGA port (or whatever you use) is kaputt and you still have to solder it, if you can't find a replacement.

Dratatoo on