As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(AvP2010!) Bite dudes in the face!, Wangland Yutani steam/360 groups!

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just finished Alien campaign.. kinda lame how they reuse like the same 3 maps for the alien and pred campaigns.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    if anything needs added to the OP let me know, like if you guys get a PS3 group together, if you can do that i'm not sure.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Just finished Alien campaign.. kinda lame how they reuse like the same 3 maps for the alien and pred campaigns.

I don't necessarily mind that, I do mind that the Alien campaign is the shortest of all 3 :P

Zephos on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Zephos wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »

I don't necessarily mind that, I do mind that the Alien campaign is the shortest of all 3 :P

yea.. cause damn the alien is awesome. I was definately having alot of fun with it once I got use to movement.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Does the Predator campaign seem more difficult than the others, or is it just me?

I think it was quite challenging, the alien finale was a little difficult, but I worked through it, I'll be finishing the marine campaign later tonight but its pretty well balanced. (this is on hard difficulty)

Zephos on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Disk really should not be 1 hit kill all the time

It's not, for the record. Unless you're playing on Easy. You're not...playing on Easy....are you?:P

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Multiplayer man, Multiplayer.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What would you guys say is the best order to play the campaigns in? I was considering doing Marine, then Alien, then Predator as I figured that was the 'suggested' progression in the older games. Can anyone tell me how they relate chronologically without any spoilers?

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    AngryPuppy wrote: »
    What would you guys say is the best order to play the campaigns in? I was considering doing Marine, then Alien, then Predator as I figured that was the 'suggested' progression in the older games. Can anyone tell me how they relate chronologically without any spoilers?

Play Alien through first, then alternate between Marine and Predator every level.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Having played a little of the marine campaign, I can not but help feel it suffers from a little of "clive barker's: undying"-syndrome wherein at first you skulk around areas that are empty but you don't know that and the motion sensor functioning much like radio in the first silent hill, not so much warning you about enemies as it is turning you paranoid and jumpy about things that might be there but are not.

Then of course they fuck that whole thing up by adding loads upon loads of enemies and boredom sets in.

Numi on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    God, so pissed fucking nothing has it around here.

Mind you, my only options until some time next week are Wal Mart and Blockbuster, but still.

Edit: Oh motherfuck, apparently Delphi blockbuster has it, but no way I'm gonna be able to make it over there, let alone back to turn it in. Why does this world taunt me?

Docshifty on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Triple B wrote: »

I think the pulse rifle is good the way it is in mp. It should drop everything in a few bursts but it's easy to dodge fire as the pred and alien so that's fine. Stuff does seem to have tons of hp in the sp though.

Personally if anything needs to be changed it's the flamethrower and the disk. Disk really should not be 1 hit kill all the time for no energy and the flamer is just so useless.

Also it would be nice if you could be a predalien or one of the spitter aliens in mp too. Would be fun to mix it up.

I could also use an invite to wangland yutani.

The flamethrower works best when you fire just enough for the Aliens to flare up, and then let them be. They explode after about 10 seconds. The only downside being they often try to grab you as they explode.

For everyone having issues with the Pulse Rifle, it's a lot like Starship Troopers. You have to find the sweet spot. Aim for the nerve stem and put them down for good.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If you blow off a limb, its still 86 percent combat effective!

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Quite similar too. When I'm not scrambling for my life, I try to aim in about the same spot, little low on the torso. Seems to use a lot less rounds that way, and minimizes acid spray.

Once I figured out the flame thrower trick, it was ON!

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Can't wait to dive into multiplayer tomorrow.

I have heard Infection is awesome.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ha, awesome. Ten Wal Marts within a hundred miles have the game, but not the one I work at three miles away. God, you are a dick aren't you?

Docshifty on
  • Options
    vallavvallav Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hoping that the EB I made the mistake of preordering this from finally gets it in today. If this is true, I'll be in the steam group chat for the next 12 hours +

vallav on
  • Options
    Mike99TAMike99TA Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Heres something annoying that I hope gets patched/fixed: If you're in a ranked match and the host drops the game ends and you get no points at all, grrr.

Last night I was playing a species team DM as an alien. I was #1 in the match and aliens were winning. We get the 1 minute left until match ends countdown, and then about 30 seconds later BAM "Host dropped connection" and I get kicked back into the multiplayer selection screen. ~20 minute match down the drain as far as points go.

Also whats the deal with the ONLY ranked option being quick match? Makes playing ranked matches stupid. Really the biggest problem with this game is the matchmaking. It isn't very effective unless you just pick quick match any game type. Then the problem with player hosting is that half the time you end up in a game that is hosted by a laggy player. For some reason the main type of lag I get is "everything is fine for 15-20 seconds and then freeze up 100% for 2-3 seconds" which is super annoying.

When everything works right the game is awesome, unfortunately that's only about 20% of the time. Heres to hoping they implement the dedicated servers soon.

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    GnomocideGnomocide Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I thought the dedicated servers were supposed to be in the full version?

Gnomocide on
  • Options
    Mike99TAMike99TA Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gnomocide wrote: »
    I thought the dedicated servers were supposed to be in the full version?

The option to use them is in the game but they don't exist yet. The game states it is beta right now. Not sure when it will even be available.

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was about to buy this but then I bought Battlefield: Bad Company 2 instead

whoops:whistle:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was getting a very Batman-like vibe from the Alien gameplay

Hang from the ceiling and pick 'em off one by one

So much fun

Also:
    I was running through a corridor as an Alien when I happened upon two unarmed humans

I grabbed the first one I caught up to and held his head firmly in place while a facehugger latched on

Then I started looking around for the green pheromone to find the other dude, but I couldn't find him anywhere, even though there was nowhere that he could go to get away from me

Then I saw it

His lifeless corpse, with a pistol right by his side

Awesome

I like that this has only happened once to me, so far

I've had lots of equally awesome experiences, though

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really like this game, but damn is the multiplayer balance completely jacked up. It's like playing a 5v5 WOW Arena with only rogues. What's that? Stunlocked from 100 -> 0? One hit kill backstabbed?

Marines vs. Aliens seems to work pretty decently, but predators are a serious issue. They can tank pulse rifle bursts, and every ranged attack they have is from 75% - 100% fatal in one hit.

Also, the flamer is completely and totally bad, as others have mentioned. It's like a gun that gently massages someone with fluffy kittens.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's like a gun that gently massages someone with fluffy kittens.

Where does one purchase such a gun

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dedicated servers not in it yet, does that mean that LAN wont work yet?

Prime on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i kill more in the single player with the shotgun than the pulse rifle. it feels like i burn through the rifle's ammo too fast. i can put most aliens in 2-4 shells, if not wound them badly.

is it bad to let wounded aliens crawl away? i doubt they can do much once i leave them, but sometimes they go off into vents and i feel i run into more almost right away..

Surprisingly?
    They actually bleed out if you do that

if you're not getting swarmed, it's a good means of ammo conservation. Alternately just pull out your pistol, since it has infinite rounds, and use that to finish them off

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I really like this game.

Also, the flamer is completely and totally badass, as the Capt has mentioned. It's a gun that causes massive explosions of molecular acid blood barrels, and is the only real way to deal with deep throaters.

Fixed that for ya. :P

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION

If I buy this on a console (Ps3) can my roomate and I both play on the same console in online multiplayer?

Arch on
  • Options
    PacifistPacifist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION

If I buy this on a console (Ps3) can my roomate and I both play on the same console in online multiplayer?

There is no split screen in any version of the game.

It was good playing with you last night Angry Puppy. We should definitely do it again sometime.

Pacifist on
    XBL: Pacifist NJ
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Feel free to send me Friend Requests PS3 folks.

PSN is bamelin

you will get one tonight from me.

My PSN name is Precisionk

SEND THOSE INVITES

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Pacifist wrote: »
    VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION

It was good playing with you last night Angry Puppy. We should definitely do it again sometime.

I feel this is my biggest gripe with the game. This would be so much better with local co-op.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION

What

ughhhhh

Arch on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION

What

ughhhhh

online co-op I believe, but not local.

precisionk on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    precisionk wrote: »
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Feel free to send me Friend Requests PS3 folks.

PSN is bamelin

you will get one tonight from me.

My PSN name is Precisionk

SEND THOSE INVITES

I'll send you one off at lunch. I've got Bamelin on my list already.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    PacifistPacifist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    precisionk wrote: »
    VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION

What

ughhhhh

online co-op I believe, but not local.

"Online co-op" is two survivor maps.

Pacifist on
    XBL: Pacifist NJ
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Was that Michelle Rodriguez? I hate Michelle Rodriguez and I hated Tequila. It must have been her.

Remington on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really like this game, but damn is the multiplayer balance completely jacked up. It's like playing a 5v5 WOW Arena with only rogues. What's that? Stunlocked from 100 -> 0? One hit kill backstabbed?

Marines vs. Aliens seems to work pretty decently, but predators are a serious issue. They can tank pulse rifle bursts, and every ranged attack they have is from 75% - 100% fatal in one hit.

Also, the flamer is completely and totally bad, as others have mentioned. It's like a gun that gently massages someone with fluffy kittens.

That's funny, I love killing predators in melee as marine. The aliens though can fuck right off.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So wait, we CAN both play on my console if we do it online?

I don't understand

Arch on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    okay, is there a glitch where certain diaries don't appear in the Marine campaign? because I can't find some of these, despite the fact they should (by my guess) be in the areas I'm looking (since it seems the list goes in a certain order, and at times I've picked up two relatively close together, only to be missing one in between them)

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So wait, we CAN both play on my console if we do it online?

I don't understand

I'm not sure. I'd say it's unlikely. I remember hearing somewhere that a lot of games you can only do it by system link or just online, because the hardware isn't powerful enough to render a split screen game with the complexity that goes into games these days.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1