As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for Anime Reccomendations ( scared of the D&D anime thread )

2»

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Macross Frontier.

Falx on
  • Options
    DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Black Lagoon: it's modern-day pirates on the South Seas. One part Michael Bay, one part John Woo, one part Peckinpah. It's like Patton Oswalt said about Jason Statham: "You won't learn shit about the human condition, or feel a collective connection with the brotherhood of man. But if you (watch this show), (it) will fuck an explosion while a Slayer song plays".

Oh yeah, watch the dub.

Also great and not-yet-mentioned: Detroit Metal City. It's a wacky comedy about a guy who love pop-folk music but is untalented at it. What he IS talented at, though, is death metal. Hilarity and vulgarity ensue.

So far this is the winner.

I guess my tastes are ecclectic enough that its really hard to define what i would like. Looking at the selections i listed, it ranges from serious action drama, to bizzare cultural comedy.

To those that suggested the big Shonen series like Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto... i really dont have the time or patience to sink into a series that is longer than FMA Brotherhood and FMA combined. I did that with Kyou Kara Maou and i got lost in the series for a solid 2 months.

Also its cost prohibitive to watch a licensed series that is more than a box set large.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just gonna reiterate: I find One Piece and Naruto pretty unwatchable as anime. One Piece is mind-blowingly long and boring, and Naruto's adaptation is hella mediocre. Don't dismiss the manga though, if you enjoy adventure at all.

You in the U.S.? Bleach is on Hulu. (Though that still leaves the length concern.)

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I forgot about Beck, that was a good series.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll also throw out www.crunchyroll.com Just sorta go through what they have (pretty limited) and see if something catches your eye. It's free for the most part and its 100% legal. They have a pay system for something I dunno if it's old episodes or certain series, but it's worth a look.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    I'll also throw out www.crunchyroll.com Just sorta go through what they have (pretty limited) and see if something catches your eye. It's free for the most part and its 100% legal. They have a pay system for something I dunno if it's old episodes or certain series, but it's worth a look.

While looking for a restroom in SF I almost wandered into their offices.

That's not really relevant, but it was pretty weird.

admanb on
  • Options
    Werewolf GamerWerewolf Gamer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd suggest some of the following:

Paradise Kiss
    Spice and Wolf
    Ghost Hunt
    Samurai Champloo
    D Grayman
    Fruits Basket
    Shuffle
    Hell Girl
    Angelic Layer
    Wolf's Rain
    Chobits
    Haibane Renmei

Some of these are older titles but are good ones.
    Also you see some of the funimation titles on their website for free.

Werewolf Gamer on