As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sid Meier's Civilization V - Game disks MUST be tossed. Salad optional.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Hexes!

Man, I hope I don't need to buy a new computer for this.

Says the person who hasn't bought a new PC since like... 2003.

Heh, I'm almost sure this will be my dad's reaction when he finds out.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh my.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Holy motherfucking shit. This year? THIS YEAR?

Sorry mom and dad, guess I won't be coming home this Christmas.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hexes!

Man, I hope I don't need to buy a new computer for this.

Says the person who hasn't bought a new PC since like... 2003.
    You're going to need a new PC :P.

I can't wait for these posts on CivFanatics:
    "Why won't Civ 5 run on my Pentium 4 with a 945G chipset that barely ran Civ 4? Firaxis sucks!" :lol:

a5ehren on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Please have more stuff for GDC please have more stuff for GDC pleasehavemorestuffforGDC

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Morgan Freeman should voice the civilopedia and techs.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    Lars_DomusLars_Domus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh god, is it time for a new one already? Still feels like Civ just came out.

I like what they've done with the graphics.

Lars_Domus on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There goes all my free time.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Why do I keep buying this game when I can only get up to 4th difficulty out of 9

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The only thing I want from this is an upgradeable throne room/palace. That was one of my favorite parts of 1 and 2 (don't remember if it was in 3), and I always lamented the exclusion in 4.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DrawbackDrawback Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is HEXcellent, HEXtraordinary!

I'M HEXCITED!

Can't you tell?

Drawback on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    They said that they're introducing some new combat mechanics. One thing I hope they put in is a feature that Hearts of Iron 3 has called "frontage". It means that only a certain number of units get to fight along one front if they're in the same province (or in this case, hex) because of limited space. This would probably get rid of the tendency to go "stack of death" altogether.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wonder what they'll do to the multiplayer....
    I wonder how multiplayer will evolve...

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    darksteel wrote: »
    They said that they're introducing some new combat mechanics. One thing I hope they put in is a feature that Hearts of Iron 3 has called "frontage". It means that only a certain number of units get to fight along one front if they're in the same province (or in this case, hex) because of limited space. This would probably get rid of the tendency to go "stack of death" altogether.

Yeah, that'd make static defenses outside of cities a lot more useful.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why do I keep buying this game when I can only get up to 4th difficulty out of 9

Because you don't have time to get any better, but it's still really good? I've never gone above Noble either, and I don't feel bad about it at all :P

a5ehren on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    HOLY FUCK YES! Just keep giving me those awesome mod tools.

God damn it, I can't wait.

Blue News. same content, basically.
    http://www.bluesnews.com/s/107553/sid-meier_s-civilization-v-announced

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chipmanchipman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arkan wrote: »

How about one unit per tile, perhaps allowing you to build military buildings in cities that increase the amount of units allowed in them?

You could even make the outside city defences hepful, by making it so that a fort will allow you to put 2 or 3 units in that square.

Also the official website mentions units that can fire more than one space. I really hope they keep the "epic scale" feel and don't make it so, say archers can fire three spaces - keep it to siege units please.

chipman on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Arkan wrote: »

Yeah. If you could build a fort and double your frontage, I might actually use them. They already have a concept like this with air units in Civ 4 (only 4 in a city, 8 (?) with an airport) and it'd be interesting if they extended this to all squares and units.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh dang, new Civ? I only just bought all the expansions to civ 4 this year. I should go ahead and play all I want of those.

Hexes look pretty sweet though, I've always preferred hexes in general for strategy games.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Of course I'm going to wait to buy this because I have so many fucking games to play now (And I like buying complete editions), but hot damn, if this has all the functionality of CIV 4 with improvements that'd be nuts!

mrt144 on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I feel as if millions of hours of free time suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Sheep on
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    (Reposted from other thread)

Well, there goes my Fall...

Mixed feelings about the hexes. I know they are perhaps more aesthetically pleasing, but since you can move on diagonals they cut down mobility from 8 to 6. Plus I hate not being able to move directly in a cardinal direction.

Edit: More reactions
    I hope City States turn out better than Vassal States in Civ IV.
    I hope the UI improvements makes managing large armies of troops less tedious (especially if they are "bigger battles than ever")
    I hope there are better non-military paths to victory / better non-military aspects in general like a more in depth religion system.

Edit 2: The Hex system may make more sense with the "frontage" system described above.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    MillbuddahMillbuddah Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shens wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I hope they get Leonard Nimoy to narrate the game again. Otherwise this product will be inferior.

Beep...Beep...Beep.

You know, I'd be perfectly happy to have Morgan Freeman narrate this time, then somehow merge the two sets of soundfiles into pure audio sex that pours out from your speakers every time you discover a tech.

Millbuddah on
  • Options
    AsiriyaAsiriya Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Not sure how I feel about the battles as they are, I do really wish that there was a total war-ish battle mode, because really, the two franchises are missing the thing that makes the other so great; total war campaign map is pretty goosey, while the lack of strategy (that I'm aware of) in Civ 4 battles really makes any kind of warfare unfun (also because it takes so damn long to get troops from one place to another, only to have them beaten through sheer chance. Let me fight the battle, that way I know I'm going to win, because I'm bloody Caesar.)

Asiriya on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Asiriya wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about the battles as they are, I do really wish that there was a total war-ish battle mode, because really, the two franchises are missing the thing that makes the other so great; total war campaign map is pretty goosey, while the lack of strategy (that I'm aware of) in Civ 4 battles really makes any kind of warfare unfun (also because it takes so damn long to get troops from one place to another, only to have them beaten through sheer chance. Let me fight the battle, that way I know I'm going to win, because I'm bloody Caesar.)

Naw, it'd get horribly tedious on a worldwide scale. As it is, I already simulate half the Total War battles halfway through the game (when my monarch or whoever isn't fighting.) It'd also be a break from pure turn based Civ and it would require a time scale tactical balance across 6 millenia. And the Civ warfare strategy comes down to rock paper scissor and collateral damage units.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    boudica with a great general gallic warrior unit. When you finally turn him/it into mechanized infantry, he can have guerilla 3, woodsman 3, city raider 3, combat 6, medic 3, march, drill 4, garrison 3, pinch, shock, cover, flanking 2, formation, charge, morale, tactics, mobility, commando, blitz, interception 2, leadership, amphibious, march. She's aggresive so that is...

2, 3, 3, 5, 3, 1, 4, 3, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1 (march is given when you get to mech inf). You'd need a level 40 unit to get all these...

How much xp is that? Remember, Boudica is charismatic!

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My stacks of doom!

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just when I was getting back into Civ 4 this gets announced. So happy.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yoshua wrote: »
    Hell, they need to just do away with tiles anyways, they don't really belong in a computer game anyways.

After finally playing Rome: Total War, I really wonder why tiles are still presented as an interface feature, when Total War has proven it's not necessary. Is it just tradition? Does it really improve game strategy?

Just let me click where I want a unit to be, and have the game sort out the details in the background.

xzzy on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    Hell, they need to just do away with tiles anyways, they don't really belong in a computer game anyways.

After finally playing Rome: Total War, I really wonder why tiles are still presented as an interface feature, when Total War has proven it's not necessary. Is it just tradition? Does it really improve game strategy?

Just let me click where I want a unit to be, and have the game sort out the details in the background.

Probably more for resources than anything else.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2010

Because they don't work well with keyboard controls and procedurally generated maps.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Because they don't work well with keyboard controls and procedurally generated maps.

I suppose they COULD work with procedurally generated maps if a unit's movement was a function of how much distance they can traverse in one turn but that'd require a complete redesign.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Asiriya wrote: »

Naw, it'd get horribly tedious on a worldwide scale. As it is, I already simulate half the Total War battles halfway through the game (when my monarch or whoever isn't fighting.) It'd also be a break from pure turn based Civ and it would require a time scale tactical balance across 6 millenia. And the Civ warfare strategy comes down to rock paper scissor and collateral damage units.

Not to mention it'd probably kill multiplayer. People get pissy about turns lasting 2 minutes, wait till they have to sit through battles between several stacks of units.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Tiles are all about simplifying the interface and the rules.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    claypoolfanclaypoolfan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Those hexes remind me of catan....

claypoolfan on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Those hexes remind me of very old war games...

Fixed

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Those hexes remind me of very cool war games...

Fixed

Fixed

quarthinos on
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Any Civ is good Civ. I'm easy... and happy.

hamdingers on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I shall now celebrate this momentous event with a delicious bowl of Sid Meier's Civilization V Breakfast Cereal:
    hexagons.JPG

Lawndart on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    No matter how much people bicker about the best FPS's, RPG's, etc., one thing can almost be heralded as an objective truth

When it comes to PC strategy games, Civilization is King

joshofalltrades on
This discussion has been closed.