As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What to do about panhandlers?

13»

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You keep trying.

I'll keep helping people who are willing to help themselves.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, the reality is that living on the streets really sucks for a lot of reasons, and most of the people doing it are people who have serious mental illnesses or other social problems that make it very difficult for them to get help. The number of homeless veterans in the U.S. is astounding, for example.

It takes a truly silly-goosian level of blinding naivete to believe that most or even any homeless people choose a dangerous, violent generally unpleasant life voluntarily.

All panhandlers are not homeless, of course, and it's not as though you're obligated to help them, but this idea that people who actually live on the streets "choose" that lifestyle is ridiculous.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GarickGarick Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You keep trying.

I'll keep being a selfish uncaring goose.

Garick on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You keep trying.

I think it's irrational to expect everyone in a population group with an enormous prevalence towards mental illness to help themselves.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Garick wrote: »
    I'll keep being a sucker.

Two can play at that game?

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think we can all be sure that we are right. We are just wasting time with this guy.

Some people just don't want to know the truth...

billwill on
    I hate you and you hate me.
  • Options
    GarickGarick Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, people who help others out sure are suckers!

I think Billwill said it best

People like you are the reason why America sucks.

Garick on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    You keep trying.

I think it's irrational to expect everyone in a population group with an enormous prevalence towards mental illness to help themselves.

So who is responsible for taking care of someone with a mental illness who is living on the street?

You? Me? The State?

Let's see you put your bleeding heart where your mouth is. Find a homeless person in your city and let them live in your house. Give them a warm bed, three squares, and clean clothes. Drive them around to job interviews. Give them a second chance at life.

Or just give them some change and smugly reflect from the saddle of your high horse how good of a person you are, because even though you have not done anything meaningful to help that person in the long run, you can wash away all the guilt you feel when you look at them for the price of a little pocket change.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm having a hard time following your giant leaps of logic, since at no point did I say that I or anyone should give them change.

Fats on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    You keep trying.

So who is responsible for taking care of someone with a mental illness who is living on the street?

You? Me? The State?

Let's see you put your bleeding heart where your mouth is. Find a homeless person in your city and let them live in your house. Give them a warm bed, three squares, and clean clothes. Drive them around to job interviews. Give them a second chance at life.

Or just give them some change and smugly reflect from the saddle of your high horse how good of a person you are, because even though you have not done anything meaningful to help that person in the long run, you can wash away all the guilt you feel when you look at them for the price of a little pocket change.
    All right, you obviously have a problem here. This thread probably isn't the place to work them out. If you want help, start your own thread. Otherwise, D&D is thataway. :arrow:

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah guys, I got the help I needed. I think this can be locked.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2010
    I'm going to go through this thread later and infract everyone who gave their stupid fucking opinions instead of giving any stupid fucking advice.

So you know.

Look forward to that.

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.