Options

Fitness and Nutrition Thread VI

• Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I suppose that depends on how much leg work your weight program involves. If you're planning on doing something like Starting Strength (highly recommended), you'd be squatting 3 days a week and so I'd lay off the stairs if it impacts your lifting.

If you do decide on cardio on lifting days, run after, not before lifts.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm training for my first marathon this September.

I mentioned this in the last thread right around the time it got locked and consensus seemed to be right in that I should start emphasizing more on my running than on my lifting, as I was guessing, and that lifting should concentrate more on endurance lifts rather than straight strength gain.

I just got off the scale today and I'm weighing in at about 210 lbs. Now, that's not a big deal, as I look decent in the mirror, however that's a lot of weight to be carrying around.

Now, my plan is to do the best I can to drop weight so I have less mass to carry for my marathon.

I want to reduce mass. I'm deadlifting 5x5s at 325, Squats at 365 and Bench at 225, 5'11" 210lbs.

What sort of nutrition split should I be looking at for this? Any thoughts on what I should be doing in the weight room/how much?

I've already polished off my first ten miler of the year and feel like I can do more, but I'd really like to adapt my body to it a little better.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It doesn't look like I'll be going to graduate school this year or even next year. To encourage forward progression, my next plan is to get a Personal Trainer certification.

Normally I'd take the easiest route and get ACE certified, but I thought I'd ask you fine folks first. Any recommendations?

Slider on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    I'm training for my first marathon this September.

I mentioned this in the last thread right around the time it got locked and consensus seemed to be right in that I should start emphasizing more on my running than on my lifting, as I was guessing, and that lifting should concentrate more on endurance lifts rather than straight strength gain.

I just got off the scale today and I'm weighing in at about 210 lbs. Now, that's not a big deal, as I look decent in the mirror, however that's a lot of weight to be carrying around.

Now, my plan is to do the best I can to drop weight so I have less mass to carry for my marathon.

I want to reduce mass. I'm deadlifting 5x5s at 325, Squats at 365 and Bench at 225, 5'11" 210lbs.

What sort of nutrition split should I be looking at for this? Any thoughts on what I should be doing in the weight room/how much?

I've already polished off my first ten miler of the year and feel like I can do more, but I'd really like to adapt my body to it a little better.

More running/cardio, less heavy weights. In my humble opinion.

Slider on
  • Options
    WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    HEEEELP ME FITNESS THREAD!

Now the details:

I'm 26 and I used to be an insanely active person. I've been an athlete all my life, even playing two - three different intermural sports at a time. Even in the past year, I play soccer one - two times per week along with working out 3 - 4 days a week. Three months ago though I fractured my ankle pretty badly, no surgery needed but up until a month ago I couldn't even run.

Now, I've been back playing soccer for about a month now. I can barely run down the field once before I become insanely winded. My endurance is just absolutely horrible ... my speed is back, but I can't keep it up at nearly any place where it used to be. I've been trying to jog/run on a treadmill now once or twice a week and I just started trying to lift again.

What in the hell else can I do in order to try and get any semblance of my endurance back?

Also, I'm taking some multivitamins from GNC when I lift and do some sort of generic protein shake that they put out ... is there anything else I should be taking? I'm roughly 5'10" 180 and I'm not really trying to get jacked up, but I'm trying get more lean and hard.

WilDPanthA05 on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Get on a couch to 5k program, they're pretty amazing for getting you up to speed quickly and safely.

EDIT here http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Just make sure you supplement your running with a lot of knee/ankle/hip stabilizer training. The more, the better. Especially when you're playing soccer. You want your muscles taking the load when you run, not to rely on your ACL/PCL.

Robman on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So milk: dehydrant?

My scale keeps telling me I'm sitting at around 57% hydration, though I don't know what kind of metric it's using to get that number; the reason it's noteworthy is because I'm almost always been at 60% on the same scale, unless I was just waking up. The only thing I'm doing differently is trying to get down a half-gallon or more of whole milk a day, to make mass and cover my calories. I was doing it with chocolate whole milk, but after about a week of that I realized I was taking in a hojillion grams of sugar with every bottle, so it's back to plain ol' white.

Even after getting down a liter bottle of Zephyrhills at work today, scale still says 57%. On the plus side: 202 lbs!

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2010
    I would completely ignore that scale for anything other than what you weigh. People also give far too much of a shit about hydration, just drink when you're thirsty and you'll be fine.

Tube on
  • Options
    spazmojackspazmojack Hangin on the corner of 52nd and BroadwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i don't think the wait until your are thirsty to drink rule of thumb is very good advice, especially for people who lead an active lifestyle. water is the most essential thing our bodies need to survive so it's with good reason that people give too much of a shit about hydration. by the time you wait until you are thirsty to drink, you're already on the path to dehydration.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283/NSECTIONGROUP=2

also, got a new road bike this weekend. it's fast and spiffy and the new saddle hasn't treated me very well, replacement hunting will begin soon.

spazmojack on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I would completely ignore that scale for anything other than what you weigh. People also give far too much of a shit about hydration, just drink when you're thirsty and you'll be fine.

I wouldn't care about it... except that its body-fat percentage reading is a little pulse of current, and the lower the hydration level, the higher your BF% will be reported.

I'm a terribly vain man -- I cannot have this machine mocking me.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yes but it is like being yelled at for being fat by a homeless guy on the street.

You need to remember that the homeless guy is stupid.

Blake T on
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The scale is probably as good at telling you your BF% as I am sitting on the other side of this computer.

15%?

:P

Lail on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There are two good ways to measure your body fat. A disinterested medical professional, or a disinterested medical professional. Apart from that, you can get a good estimate of where you are from looking at typical pictures based on BF%, and honestly ranking yoursel - that will put you within 5% of your actual BF level.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So...person training certifications...

Slider on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Looking to get one or looking to assess someone based on one?

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Unless you want to be a personal trainer they're utterly useless, a mixture of outdated training information and simplistic business studies. If you do want to be a personal trainer, just pick one and do it. There isn't a particular one that changes the job from being a badly paid moron job.

Tube on
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    WooHoo! I hit a personal milestone, and a personal best on my workout this morning. The milestone is that I squatted my body weight for multiple reps and multiple sets for the first time, and I also lifted a new personal best on deadlifts.

It felt great to get through that barrier. I was actually really nervous going in to my workout this morning. I'm doing a hypertrophy program that varies the sets/reps each workout, and today was a 5x5 lower body routine. I've never gone so heavy on squats or deads before... It was really tough, but man did it feel good to lift the weight like that and not have my body explode.

It's really encouraging to feel myself getting stronger and bigger in the right places. My girlfriend has already commented on my arms/shoulders being bigger, and this is only the beginning of the 2nd week of the workout...

jimb213 on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So guys, question for you. A friend of mine just had the relevation of a heart attack, followed by recovery and implantation of a defib unit into his chest. Obviously bad news, but he's a-okay now.

The problem is that his condition is genetic, and isn't going away ever. It's a thickening of the heart muscle, which means it's much less efficient, and heavy exercise could cause him to go into cardiac arrest (which is what happened before). He was a big ultimate frisbee player, jogged, swam, etc. Can't do that anymore. Any ideas on what he can do to stay healthy? Im' guessing low-impact stuff like light swimming and walking are good, but what about weights? Still advisable? I can't say I've noticed my heart racing when doing weights, but I've never paid attention to that. Thoughts? Other exercises that would work?

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Looking to get one or looking to assess someone based on one?

Looking to get one. I spend so much time at the gym I might as well find a way to get paid for it. Since most gyms now require a bullsh*t certification, I need to pick one that will meet their requirements and be relatively easy to procure.

Sounds like Tube doesn't give the profession much love, though.

Slider on
  • Options
    wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That's because of, as you said, the bullshit certifications.

wallaka on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I checked the OP, but I didn't find any recommendations on a particular product, so I'll ask:

Its really hard for me to gain weight, I tried some weight gainers but they made me nauseous. Can someone recommend a weight gainer that is a little lighter and wont make me vomit?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I checked the OP, but I didn't find any recommendations on a particular product, so I'll ask:

Its really hard for me to gain weight, I tried some weight gainers but they made me nauseous. Can someone recommend a weight gainer that is a little lighter and wont make me vomit?

What are "weight gainers"? Do you mean protein powders?

Robman on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yes, those. I forgot the name of the product though.

Edit: I'm not looking for a specific thing, just something that can help me put in some extra pounds. Shake, powder or bar, I'll eat it.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Personally I tend to zero in on pure whey powders with as close to zero bullshit ingredients as possible. It's cheaper, and you'll quickly find that in the "health" industry you can disregard about 100% of the claims made on the side of the package.

Go with pure whey powder, then build a shake that has all the good stuff you need. Banana/Milk/Blueberries/Vanilla Whey is easy, delicious and extremely nutritious, for example. In general, focus on eating actual food to get all the stuff you need to bulk up, rather then products that make grand claims and deliver nothing.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    wallaka wrote: »

So, I guess I'll just go for an ACE certification, because it seems to be the easiest and most generic.

Slider on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Slider wrote: »

So, I guess I'll just go for an ACE certification, because it seems to be the easiest and most generic.

Do the starting strenght one

hectorse on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Edit: I'm not looking for a specific thing, just something that can help me put in some extra pounds. Shake, powder or bar, I'll eat it.
    Here you go:
    egg.jpg
    agda_07_riverina_milk%2012.jpg

Peen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Apogee wrote: »
    So guys, question for you. A friend of mine just had the relevation of a heart attack, followed by recovery and implantation of a defib unit into his chest. Obviously bad news, but he's a-okay now.

The problem is that his condition is genetic, and isn't going away ever. It's a thickening of the heart muscle, which means it's much less efficient, and heavy exercise could cause him to go into cardiac arrest (which is what happened before). He was a big ultimate frisbee player, jogged, swam, etc. Can't do that anymore. Any ideas on what he can do to stay healthy? Im' guessing low-impact stuff like light swimming and walking are good, but what about weights? Still advisable? I can't say I've noticed my heart racing when doing weights, but I've never paid attention to that. Thoughts? Other exercises that would work?

No one here can give you any pertinent advice. He needs to speak to his doctor. Taking bad advice from people on the internet will potentially kill him.

Tube on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    hectorse wrote: »

The Starting Strength one isn't actually accepted as legitimate by pretty much any gym anywhere. Most gyms expect a NSCA cert or so. From what little research I've done, the NSCA-CSCS is the best (most grounded in useful and accurate information) one.

big l on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Are you feeling nauseous and vomiting because your stomach is overloaded? I know a lot of powders designed to be made into a shake say to drink it with a normal breakfast but a lot of people just can't handle that kind of volume at one time. If this is you, try cutting back on the contents of your breakfast or just make half a shake at a time. If it is the taste/contents that seems to make you nauseous, try adding additional flavor to the shake via fruit or chocolate. Frozen fruit is relatively inexpensive, has lots of potential variety, and lasts for quite a while.

Apogee wrote: »

Thoughts? Other exercises that would work?

He needs to find out from his doc what target heart rate he is allowed to get close to. Then he needs to get a quality heart rate monitor and see what activities and at what levels he can do while not exceeding that rate. He's probably on heart meds which are lowering his heart rate, so any targets for the general population is worthless.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    He should also talk to a cardiologist about alcohol ablation of heart tissue

Robman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    big l wrote: »
    hectorse wrote: »

The Starting Strength one isn't actually accepted as legitimate by pretty much any gym anywhere. Most gyms expect a NSCA cert or so. From what little research I've done, the NSCA-CSCS is the best (most grounded in useful and accurate information) one.

then do the generic one and the starting strength

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sounds like a damn expensive piece of paper.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Robman wrote: »

Personally I tend to zero in on pure whey powders with as close to zero bullshit ingredients as possible. It's cheaper, and you'll quickly find that in the "health" industry you can disregard about 100% of the claims made on the side of the package.

Go with pure whey powder, then build a shake that has all the good stuff you need. Banana/Milk/Blueberries/Vanilla Whey is easy, delicious and extremely nutritious, for example. In general, focus on eating actual food to get all the stuff you need to bulk up, rather then products that make grand claims and deliver nothing.

I don't think I ever got a response from the Bigman thread, but... from what I've gathered in my nutrition course, no one ever really needs to supplement protein. It sounds like you get more than enough from a typical diet.

Of course, said nutrition course is also geared towards decent, god-fearing human-beings, and not weightlifters, sooo...

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »

I don't think I ever got a response from the Bigman thread, but... from what I've gathered in my nutrition course, no one ever really needs to supplement protein. It sounds like you get more than enough from a typical diet.

Of course, said nutrition course is also geared towards decent, god-fearing human-beings, and not weightlifters, sooo...

I can assure you that very active people will have a hell of a time getting enough protein from a normal diet. Whey is fantastically useful and convenient because it's a huge load of protein (bow chicka wow wow) and two shakes can load you up with 100g of protein that would otherwise take a pound of meat to get.

Like sure, you can get by without supplementing protein. But it's just so cost effective and healthy to get it via shakes, so why not use them?

Robman on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A small serving of protein even for people trying to lose weight is beneficial to people directly after weights as well.

As at that is the time the body is most reactive to muscle growth and you are effectively giving them the exact fuel they need.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Blaket wrote: »
    A small serving of protein even for people trying to lose weight is beneficial to people directly after weights as well.

As at that is the time the body is most reactive to muscle growth and you are effectively giving them the exact fuel they need.

There was some guy doing an interview for some site who said the impact of protein intake right after a workout versus at a later time is pretty minimal. Matt something I think his name was. Folks in the Bigman thread over in SE++ seemed to fee he was pretty credible.

Hmm... so I guess I'll give protein supplements a try, then. Sounds like buying powder and adding it to milk is the best option.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've always questioned that bit of wisdom as well. I don't know how long it takes for the protein to be digested and broken down into amino acids, but I don't think it's mere minutes. It seems to me that it would be much more beneficial to consume it prior to the workout, if it is time sensitive at all. Perhaps someone with a background in human physiology and nutrition could give us a more exact time frame.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JWFokker wrote: »
    I've always questioned that bit of wisdom as well. I don't know how long it takes for the protein to be digested and broken down into amino acids, but I don't think it's mere minutes. It seems to me that it would be much more beneficial to consume it prior to the workout, if it is time sensitive at all. Perhaps someone with a background in human physiology and nutrition could give us a more exact time frame.

It depends.

Whey protein is very fast. Around 20 minutes if I remember correctly.
    Casein in the other hand is very slow

hectorse on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is probably a real nub question.

I've been lifting for a few months, seen results, generally happy. I started recently slowing my reps down. As an example, I might do a bench press, but control the movement to take maybe 3 seconds down, then stop, then three seconds up.

As a result, I do less reps, but I feel the workout more in my muscles afterwards. Is this better for me than doing more "explosive" movements (note: not bouncing or anything, just a more regular movement speed).

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.