As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dreamcast output

SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Ever since I finally upgraded to HD TV, I've had it in the back of my mind to pick up a Dreamcast VGA Box, so I can finally get a nice crisp picture on MvC2 and my other DC games. With the Dreamcast slipping further and further into the past, now seems like as good a time as any to grab one of these while they are still available. It looks like the two most common ones on Ebay are the NAKI one and one other sort of generic looking one with an orange label.

Are there any differences in performance for these two? Is there any other one that I should be looking for? And what about sound? I'd like to input the sound directly into the TV using the mini jack that corresponds with the VGA input. Is that easy to do on these things?

Saddler on

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    They should be all the same, it only outputs 480p. Mind you, I find things like the sprites in Marvel tend to look worse at higher resolutions.

As for the sound, you should be fine there as well.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, you're limited to 480p so the image quality will vary based on the quality of your TV's scaler, but it will look significantly better than 480i over composite.

Sound output on a VGA box (or VGA cable, depending on which you buy) is regular old 3.5mm minijack. You can find adapters to convert that to RCA (red/white), unless you are saying that your TV has a 3.5mm input, which means you would have one less adapter and cable to buy.

Also, the general rule with the VGA adapter is that polygons tend to look better, while sprites tend to look worse.

SmokeStacks on