As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stuck in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
Since I suck at video games, I humbly appeal to the G&T public to advise me on how to proceed. I'm in the "Ancients Hall" in the Mandarin level, Valley of Spirits. The only door out won't open no matter what I do. I have pulled the goddamn rope and even banged a gong. What am I doing wrong?

Here is the door (refer to the little map for context):
stuck.jpg

I've been stuck here for days, walking around the level in exasperation. :cry:

Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
TroubledTom on

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Considered the possibility that it's a glitch? I don't remember much about that level, but you may need to restart your console, or start a whole new game, even.

yalborap on
  • Options
    cocheseisdeadcocheseisdead Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Are you sure that it's not the door that will only open when [spoiler:f21dbc5255]Dr.Strange[/spoiler:f21dbc5255] is traveling with you?

cocheseisdead on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Actually I think I might be good right now. I went to the previous floor and found a new way to go. Yeah, I was pretty sure it was a glitch. I'm hoping for the best right now. It's possible I just put the game up for a few days and got turned around... and tried to go back the way I came. I'm not sure yet.

Are you sure that it's not the door that will only open when [spoiler:1e0082a3ae]Dr.Strange[/spoiler:1e0082a3ae] is traveling with you?

That could well be the case, maybe I just missed him on the last floor.

TroubledTom on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited January 2007
    You know how I got through that door? I had deadpool 'port through it. I cheated.

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    You know how I got through that door? I had deadpool 'port through it. I cheated.

Interesting, I haven't even tried Deadpool yet. That's what I love about this game.

TroubledTom on
  • Options
    KillaKilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah with Nightcrawler out (as a playable character, anyways) I switched over to Deadpool, although I try to alternate between him and Iceman. The teleporting/bodysliding is still very useful in MUA.

I remember in X-Men Legends 2, one of my teammates had a bad habit of getting rogue stuck in ridiculous places. My Nightcrawler came to her rescue numerous times. Too bad Deadpool can't take anyone with him when he slides.

As far as that spot Mandarin's level, I can't recall. Most likely the aforementioned suggestion is correct. Go grab Strange.

This is a bit off topic, but is anyone else, like, sickeningly disappointed by the inclusion of Luke Cage, Black Panther, and Moon Knight? I mean, c'mon, no Hulk? Wtf?

Killa on
    00FINALtextdiff600x100.gif
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Killa wrote:
    This is a bit off topic, but is anyone else, like, sickeningly disappointed by the inclusion of Luke Cage, Black Panther, and Moon Knight? I mean, c'mon, no Hulk? Wtf?
    Hulk's license is tied up elsewhere.

I think I got that door to open after killing a bunch of guys in the room or something.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well

[spoiler:3734ce6c77]Hulk does CLEARLY show up in a cutscene[/spoiler:3734ce6c77]

And I used Deadpool's teleport to cheat as much as humanly possible in the game.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Killa wrote:
    Yeah with Nightcrawler out (as a playable character, anyways) I switched over to Deadpool, although I try to alternate between him and Iceman. The teleporting/bodysliding is still very useful in MUA.

I remember in X-Men Legends 2, one of my teammates had a bad habit of getting rogue stuck in ridiculous places. My Nightcrawler came to her rescue numerous times. Too bad Deadpool can't take anyone with him when he slides.

As far as that spot Mandarin's level, I can't recall. Most likely the aforementioned suggestion is correct. Go grab Strange.

Luke Cage I'm no fan of. But come on, how can you not love Moon Knight? he's a batshit fucking crazy moon-themed Batman.

Besides, without him Iron Nightspider would just be Iron Spider, and that's the name of a Spider-Man costume, not a superhero team.

yalborap on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/game/932587.html
    [spoiler:db90c5da62] THE SHORTCUT (requires Might, Flight and Fire Extinguisher)
    |
    |
    | Find the rope with the blue X on it and use a hero with Might to |
    | pull the rope (play the little mini-game). Go through the newly |
    | opened door and destroy the enemies on the outer ledge. Fly over |
    | to the central platform and ring the gong by firing a power at |
    | it. This opens a door in the right wall. Go through and find the |
    | braziers to your right marked with blue X's. Put the fires out |
    | nearly simultaneously. You'll have about five seconds after ex- |
    | tinguishing one brazier to snuff the other one. This opens a door|
    | into the final room. Note that, if you go this way, you skip |
    | fighting Ultimo and don't get the Strike upgrade near him. |
    | (Unless, of course, you backtrack.) |
    +
    +

THE LONG WAY
    |
    |
    | In the first room, take the first door on your left and go around|
    | on the walkway. Then, take the first door on the left and there's|
    | another walkway, this time with a mini-boss, Dragonman. Like many|
    | of these mini-boss fights, ranged attacks work best as Dragonman |
    | mostly uses short-range melee attacks. From the next room, once |
    | again go through the first door on the left. This time the walk- |
    | way is blocked by Ultimo. He's a lot easier than you may think, |
    | Dragonman was actually more difficult. At the far end of the |
    | walkway is a Strike point behind a fire pit. Finally, you reach |
    | the last room. |
    +
    +
    [/spoiler:db90c5da62]

Sounds like where you're at since you mentioned a bell and a rope. I remember that part and not doing it, so I guess I did the second option. Sounds like you already figured it out, though. But I wanted to look it up since I didn't even remember what you were talking about.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Killa wrote:

No, it's just you. Those three are awesome and any suggestion otherwise is a lie. A damned lie.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sweet Christmas how can anyone not like Luke Cage?

Read Alias and Pulse, Bendis will make you love him.

I'm way more disappointed in the inclusion of Elektra and Blade, yawn.

All 3 of the characters you mentioned are awesome.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I love how you recruit Blade though.

Makes no fucking sense.

And his explosive spike move was pretty fun.

Elektra was a useless character.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cage, Moon Knight and Black Panther are all actually all pretty popular characters at the moment, man.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    maybe off topic..but is there any real difference between the versions for the different platforms?

I have a Wii, PS2, and 360 and I am stuck on indecision over what version to get. does the Wiimote add anyhing uber-compelling to the gameplay or is it just tacked on?

I'm leaning towards the 360 version..but mostly I know its because I'm a slave to achievements.

thoughts?

VoodooV on
  • Options
    BacklashBacklash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    VoodooV wrote:
    maybe off topic..but is there any real difference between the versions for the different platforms?

I have a Wii, PS2, and 360 and I am stuck on indecision over what version to get. does the Wiimote add anyhing uber-compelling to the gameplay or is it just tacked on?

I'm leaning towards the 360 version..but mostly I know its because I'm a slave to achievements.

thoughts?

Everything I've heard about the Wii version is that it's tacked on and takes a while to get used to controlling the camera, but the core game is still pretty fun. If you have a 360 though I'd reccommend that one, since in addition to the achievements you also get 2 characters the ps2 version doesn't have.

Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
    SSBB: 2921-8745-1438
    Diamond: 2320-2615-4086
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited January 2007
    Backlash wrote:
    VoodooV wrote:

thoughts?

Everything I've heard about the Wii version is that it's tacked on and takes a while to get used to controlling the camera, but the core game is still pretty fun. If you have a 360 though I'd reccommend that one, since in addition to the achievements you also get 2 characters the ps2 version doesn't have.

I have the Wii Version, and while it still works well, sometimes the movements take a few tries to work (though you don't actually have to use them for the powers). This doesn't make the game bad, but I'd say the 360 version would be the one to go with since you have both consoles.

Menace on
  • Options
    AAAAAARGGGHHHHAAAAAARGGGHHHH Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Balefuego wrote:
    Sweet Christmas how can anyone not like Luke Cage?

Read Alias and Pulse, Bendis will make you love him.

That's no joke either, Bendis will come over to your house and make you love him.

With his penis.

AAAAAARGGGHHHH on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Just as a warning to everyone on Mandarin since the topic is here. If you go back and play again with higher level heroes, don't beat him too quickly, or you become locked in one of the balconies.

Morkath on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Killa wrote:

Without Luke Cage, how the hell am I gonna make the Spider-friends with Spidey, Luke Cage, Human Torch, and Iron Man? Wolverine? Fuck that.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    KillaKilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I love how you recruit Blade though.

Makes no fucking sense.

And his explosive spike move was pretty fun.

Elektra was a useless character.

Yeah, that was wacky. I remember saying something like, "Oh, I hope I get something good like a focus upgrade.... Blade... Awww, man."

As far as platforms, I'm playing it on the Wii. I personally like the controls. The motions register more consistently if you slow them down a bit, except for the shake, which should be done quickly.

Killa on
    00FINALtextdiff600x100.gif
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    gah, now I'm stuck too but on the simulator disc mission for Captain America. I only recently discovered you're supposed to go to the consoles next to the missile and get the extra time required to beat Winter Soldier (Until I discovered that, I just assumed that I hadn't leveled ole Cap enough to beat him)

My problem though is 1) not all of the consoles allow you to press X at them and 2) even when I do find a console that allows you to press X, it doesn't always add time.

so I always end up running out of time. GameFaqs recommends using shield bash on him, but I always seem to run out of energy far too quickly...charging it up doesn't seem to help significantly. knocking him down to half his HP is the best i've done so far.

Cap is like..level 25 now and I don't feel like i've gotten much better at finishing this since I first got the simulator disc. Meanwhile, beating the Iron Man simulator was cake.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    BacklashBacklash Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    VoodooV wrote: »
    gah, now I'm stuck too but on the simulator disc mission for Captain America. I only recently discovered you're supposed to go to the consoles next to the missile and get the extra time required to beat Winter Soldier (Until I discovered that, I just assumed that I hadn't leveled ole Cap enough to beat him)

My problem though is 1) not all of the consoles allow you to press X at them and 2) even when I do find a console that allows you to press X, it doesn't always add time.

so I always end up running out of time. GameFaqs recommends using shield bash on him, but I always seem to run out of energy far too quickly...charging it up doesn't seem to help significantly. knocking him down to half his HP is the best i've done so far.

Cap is like..level 25 now and I don't feel like i've gotten much better at finishing this since I first got the simulator disc. Meanwhile, beating the Iron Man simulator was cake.

Only one console is going to let you press X on it at one time. You have to press 3 consoles to reset the bomb and get more time. So basically hit up the first two consoles, then find the third one, beat up Winter Soldier until the timer hits 25-30 seconds, and then press the third button.

Also remember to block a lot, it helps in the 1vs1 simulator boss fights.

Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
    SSBB: 2921-8745-1438
    Diamond: 2320-2615-4086
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I was more bothered by the fact that they didn't have Iron Fist.

I mean they had Elektra over Iron Fist. Who the fuck cares about Elektra? When was the last time Elektra was interesting? When Miller was writing her and was still sane?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

I mean they had Elektra over Iron Fist. Who the fuck cares about Elektra? When was the last time Elektra was interesting? When Miller was writing her and was still sane?

It is a goddamned crime that Luke Cage and Iron Fist aren't both in this game. They should have made him an alt costume for Daredevil at the very least.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    GreenleafGreenleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think I've got a problem with my game.

You know that part where you have to chase one of the God swords through a bunch of portals?
    When I finally get to the sword, the game doesn't load me back to the great hall. I'm just stuck in the room where I grabbed the sword with no way out.
    Also, I've redone this level maybe 10 or so times, sometimes it lets me out. So I finish collecting the swords, but after I'm done and the Armor pops out of the Ice, I try to chase Loki through the portal but nothing loads and the Armor disappears and I'm stuck again with nowhere to go.

I thought this problem was from the disc, but I traded in my original disc and got a new one and I'm still having the same problem. Anyone else have this problem with this game, or is it just me?

Greenleaf on
  • Options
    cocheseisdeadcocheseisdead Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Greenleaf, which system are you playing on?

cocheseisdead on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »

If you're on PC, Iron Fist can be modded into the PC version, along with a tonne of other characters that these guys cooked up.

subedii on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm stuck at the part in the carnival with the spinning blades. Stupid computer players just keep dying.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Greenleaf, which system are you playing on?

360, sir.

Greenleaf on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So, I forgot that I had this problem and I loaded MUA up again, but with a new game.
    Got to the sword room and remembered why I haven't beaten it yet.

...Gah

Greenleaf on