As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Intermittent Wireless Problem

ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Here's something that's been perplexing me for a while. Every so often--I think this is a weekly problem now--I'll lose the wireless connection to my router. Windows won't indicate that the connection has a problem directly, but all my IM sessions drop (usually the first indication) and I won't be able to ping the router. Typically what I do at this juncture is flip my wireless card off and then back on (or tell Windows to repair the connection, which does the same thing) and the connection comes right back.

This has been a problem for me for a while, and not just with this laptop or this router. I've already replaced a router when this was happening multiple times a day, and my iPhone has the same problem with the same remedy--wireless stops working, even though it thinks it's still on the network, so I pop it in and out of airport mode and it starts right back.

Any idea what's going on here? There's a lot of networks around (and have been in the other places where I've had this problem) and so it might some kind of RF congestion issue, but if so it's the same problem on all channels. It's also happened with more than one router, though I haven't seem to have had the problem away from home so I might just have bad luck. It's not a big deal so the simple fix I mentioned will tide me over, but I'd really like to know what the root problem here is and see if I can address that.

ProPatriaMori on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Maybe its a roaming aggressiveness setting? Try turning that way down.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MonkeighyMonkeighy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Are you running any programs that are likely to open a lot of connections? Something like Bitorrent can be opening and closing thousands of connections and this can cause the router to crash, which will drop the wireless connection until it reboots.

Other than that could be interference, do you have a microwave or cordless phone near the router?

Monkeighy on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Monkeighy wrote: »
    Are you running any programs that are likely to open a lot of connections? Something like Bitorrent can be opening and closing thousands of connections and this can cause the router to crash, which will drop the wireless connection until it reboots.

Other than that could be interference, do you have a microwave or cordless phone near the router?

Lots of active sessions (connections) won't even necissarily cause the router to crash. I know the D-Links I have (a DI-615 and one of the GamerLounge ones) will just get horribly bogged down without actually crashing and rebooting. The problem was actually my brother torrenting, which resulted in upwards of 70 connections.

My workaround was making my brother get his own damn internet connection.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hmm...could you expand on "aggressiveness setting?" I didn't see anything of the sort on the router. If it's a local setting, wouldn't roaming be apparent to me? The laptop and iPhone think they're still on the network, just that they can't move packets to where they need to go (lots of server not found errors etc because they can't get anything to/past the router).

Not much torrenting and it doesn't really correlate in time with what happens. Sometimes it's the middle of a long something or other, sometimes it's when I've just gotten home and am just trying to get onto the router.

Netstat on this computer does show tens of connections for just websurfing and instant messaging, a bunch of which are to localhost for some odd reason. No obvious problems there. I could post a netstat dump if someone really cares I guess.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's a local setting, not a router setting, and roaming aggressiveness tells the device (like the laptop) to search for a better wireless signal. Sometimes this messes up and it thinks it sees something better but doesn't really connect, so it just stops working.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's a local setting, not a router setting, and roaming aggressiveness tells the device (like the laptop) to search for a better wireless signal. Sometimes this messes up and it thinks it sees something better but doesn't really connect, so it just stops working.

Was set on moderate. I've now set it to conservative but I doubt that was the problem--my network should be the only network here that it has any idea how to connect to. I'll check the iPhone as well.

ProPatriaMori on