Options

Buyer's safety/reimbursement on a cashier's check or money order?

contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'd like to buy something from somebody on another forum I frequent. He wants cash though, and I've never bought anything online not using a credit card or PayPal account. How safe are cashier's checks or money orders? He has a handful of positive reviews (there is a buying/selling subsection of the forum and a reputation system is implemented), but of course I'm still a little wary. Could I be reimbursed somehow by my bank if I payed via cashier check/money order, and he never ships the item or it arrives damaged or inoperable?

sigxw0.jpg
contraband on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    contraband wrote: »
    I'd like to buy something from somebody on another forum I frequent. He wants cash though, and I've never bought anything online not using a credit card or PayPal account. How safe are cashier's checks or money orders? He has a handful of positive reviews (there is a buying/selling subsection of the forum and a reputation system is implemented), but of course I'm still a little wary. Could I be reimbursed somehow by my bank if I payed via cashier check/money order, and he never ships the item or it arrives damaged or inoperable?

Does he explain why he won't use PayPal? Pretty sketchy...

Esh on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    He almost certainly wants cash because he's trying to cheat you.

A cashier's check and money order are both basically cash.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    He hasn't explicitly stated yet why he doesn't use PayPal. His whole deal is he's selling some items cheap because he broke up with his SO and needs quick money. As good a deal as it is (40% off eBay going rate), I don't know if I'd be comfortable physically sending cash to an anonymous person online without some sort of lifeline on my side. He does have positive reviews for past "selling" experiences, though.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    He hasn't explicitly stated yet why he doesn't use PayPal. His whole deal is he's selling some items cheap because he broke up with his SO and needs quick money. As good a deal as it is (40% off eBay going rate), I don't know if I'd be comfortable physically sending cash to an anonymous person online without some sort of lifeline on my side. He does have positive reviews for past "selling" experiences, though.

With no recourse should he cheat you? No, absolutely do not do it. Not even if he has some "good recommendations".

Esh on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Esh wrote: »

With no recourse should he cheat you? No, absolutely do not do it. Not even if he has some "good recommendations".

I take it, then, that there is no sort of "sender protection" of money orders or cashiers checks? Getting back to the point of this thread :P

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I take it, then, that there is no sort of "sender protection" of money orders or cashiers checks? Getting back to the point of this thread :P
    "I'm selling this so cheap because of X" should be ringing alarm bells like fucking crazy to you. If you do this, you are going to lose your money.

No, there isn't any sort of sender protection on this, which is precisely why he wants you to do it that way.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Money Order? No. Cashier's Check from your bank? Maybe? Ask your bank.

EDIT: Actually, no. Just don't do it. If it is a scam, the trouble you're going to go through to get your money back is not even going to be worth the time or effort. The bank isn't just going to go "Oh! Ok, here's your money back!", it'd be a long, arduous process if the refund was even possible.

Esh on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    yeah, this is basically an online version of the speaker van scam

we have to move these quick! there was a mistake at the warehouse but I'll give you a special deal if you buy with cash RIGHT NOW

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Alot of scammers use trading services and request money orders/cash to be sent to them.

The local hangout for them in Aus is http://www.gumtree.com.au

Common ones include the i am renting this apartment out for cheap since it was my wive/husband and they died. You just have to look after it. Sorry but I am overseas but send me the deposit by money order/cash and i will mail you the keys.

And the I'm giving away this expensive pure breed dog for free. All you have to do is pay the courier fees to get it to your house. Send them to me via etc etc.

I have ran into a couple of other oens with just random goods. Its just that these things can't be traced very well and if you do get ripped off, they WILL get away and you WILL be out of pocket. Just say no paypal no purchase.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If your spidey-sense is tingling, don't do it.

Simple.

Also applies to many other things in life.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Or if it's a pricey item, use an escrow service.

I ran into a similar situation to this a few years ago. Guy had some really high-end car audio equipment, said it was a gift for his girlfriend he just broke up with, just needed to sell it quickly, etc. I agreed if we would use an online escrow service, transaction went perfectly.

Of course online escrow services are not all legit and you still have to be careful.

adytum on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

I agree with your assessment but both cashier's checks and money orders have problems from the seller's point of view. Forgery is common with each item and doesn't leave the seller much recourse. He could have a reasonable objection to using either of those forms of payment even if he's completely honest.

The only thing the OP could do is check up on those reviews. Find out when they're from, the time span they cover, the amount of the transactions and other's reviews of the reviewers. Even if he puts in all that work he needs to understand he's going to be facing a higher risk of getting screwed than in most transactions.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    if he's really hard up for money, have him ship the item 1st.... when you obtain and inspect, you're safe to send a money order

put the risk on him... if he's really in need, he'll go for it. if he blows you off, you've got your answer.

illig on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    adytum wrote: »

I ran into a similar situation to this a few years ago. Guy had some really high-end car audio equipment, said it was a gift for his girlfriend he just broke up with, just needed to sell it quickly, etc. I agreed if we would use an online escrow service, transaction went perfectly.

Of course online escrow services are not all legit and you still have to be careful.

If anyone even mentions online escrow you can usually be assured it's a scam.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's a trap. Don't fall for it like Ackbar.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Like the others said, definitely a scam. Paypal is the "safest" way to buy something online, and he'd get his money decently quick if he sends it priority mail and uses the tracking number upload option.
    DragonPup wrote: »
    It's a trap. Don't fall for it like Ackbar.

It's true, don't be like ackbar..
    It_s_A_Trap!hzjDetail.png

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    saltiness wrote: »

Unless you demand it and are the one to choose the escrow site..

Just sayin', it worked fine for me.

adytum on
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If he wants cash, the way to do it is for him to send you the item using some form of COD (Cash on Delivery) courier service. The courier does the handover of the goods when the courier gets the cash.

I have never, and would never purchase anything for over about $10 with cash over the internet - unless it's an amount of money that you'd be willing to throw away, don't throw it away (I've purchased some 7" records and such when I was younger and credit-cardless where the cost of money orders or bank cheques is more than the cost of the item - that's then ONLY situation to use cash, and even then, be wary).

soxbox on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    saltiness wrote: »

Unless you demand it and are the one to choose the escrow site..

Just sayin', it worked fine for me.

If the seller requests online escrow, it is guaranteed to be a scam.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I agree with your assessment but both cashier's checks and money orders have problems from the seller's point of view. Forgery is common with each item and doesn't leave the seller much recourse.

Sure the seller does, you wait until the money order is cashed or the check clears before shipping the item, and you state that ahead of time.

That said, no fucking way I'd send a cashier's check or money order to a stranger on the hope I might actually get some goods out of the deal.

travathian on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    travathian wrote: »

I agree with your assessment but both cashier's checks and money orders have problems from the seller's point of view. Forgery is common with each item and doesn't leave the seller much recourse.

Sure the seller does, you wait until the money order is cashed or the check clears before shipping the item, and you state that ahead of time.

That said, no fucking way I'd send a cashier's check or money order to a stranger on the hope I might actually get some goods out of the deal.

It can take two weeks for a forgery to become clear and banks will typically release funds within 24 hours. Once it comes back bogus the banks do not accept responsibility for the issue and will be looking for their money.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish