As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I want to be fashionable (pics)

tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Here I am wearing some 31x32 jeans and a medium tee. The jeans are pretty damn tight. I have been told online that I have baby-rearing hips :/

What can I do to dress better?

I have a sewing machine and other pants/shirts that vary in size which I can alter. I have no money to buy anything new at the moment.

Should I alter the tracksuit so it is tighter around the waist or arms or anything?

90134944.jpg

53092406.jpg

98048233.jpg

tracertong on

• Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Those jeans do nothing for you. They make your ass look flat, and are too high-waisted. Unfortunately, jeans can't easily be fixed with a sewing machine. You just need some new pants, man.

Alpine on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Not having money for new clothes is a pretty big hurdle.

While dressing well doesn't have to be super expensive, it generally requires some money.

oldsak on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alpine wrote: »
    Those jeans do nothing for you. They make your ass look flat, and are too high-waisted. Unfortunately, jeans can't easily be fixed with a sewing machine. You just need some new pants, man.

yeah those are not the fit of jeans I usually wear. I have never worn those outside...and never will D:

tracertong on
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    On the pros side: you make that shirt look good. :winky:

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So you're showing us something you never wear, and asking us what's wrong with it? You know what's wrong with it. Show us how you would dress for things like going to work, going on a date, going grocery shopping, and we can tell you what's working and what's not.

Alpine on
  • Options
    RynaRyna Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The only way that those jeans would be passable, would be if they were darker. Light blue denim is NOT a cool color for your basic pants. And remember baggy clothes are passe, fitted or slim look are where its at.

I don't want to turn you into a hipster overnight, but second hand shops are a cheap place to get awesome clothing finds...

Ryna on
  • Options
    VenochVenoch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why would Vin Diesel be asking for fashion advice on an internet gaming forum.

Silly Vin, get out of here.

Venoch on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jesus Christ, burn those jeans and delete them pictures.

I have never seen a pair of pants that fit worse on a person.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You are one of the few that can rock basic colored teeshirts. Guys who have a body can do that, guys that don't can't. I'd say if you want some shirts that are a little less plain, go to a Marshalls/TJMaxx and see what they have. You can usually find some decent brands for neato looking shirts. I personally enjoy the Lucky brand myself since they seems to have some pretty decent quality behind them and for a basic graphic tee, $12 isn't too shabby at all. 3 or 4 of these and a couple basic tees to act as beaters would be a good start.

Your track suit jacket is fine.

Your jeans are tragically not doing much for you. There is a lot of room here to try out different styles though. If you have a macy's or something nearby, just go and take a look at different cuts of Levis and see what works best for you. Do you want something straight legged, tapered leg, or bootcut? Low rise, or medium rise. (Nobody really wears high rise unless they are soccer moms, tbh.) I'd say something straight legged and a low/mid rise might be just what your looking for. Go to a shop and ask for the Levi's 514s. They should clean up your profile and make your lower half look more presentable. :P

Once you figure out how you want the jeans to fit on your waist and down your legs, just find a wash you like and for a cool $30-40, you've got something that works and looks specifically for you.

Finally, don't be shy to get some accessories. A nice thick leather belt and a clean pair of sneakers can go a long way to wrapping up the whole package.

Also, consider a watch maybe. I know you are on a budget but maybe shopping at places like those outlet stores can make these purchases a lot easier for you should you scrounge together a few bucks. Sadly a sewing machine won't do a lot in altering how jeans fit except for maybe the length but that wouldn't help in this situation. That being said a cool $50 should give you something that you can rock any time of day and pretty much anything but finer occasions. Best of luck and post updates!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    First of all, you are a brave man.

Secondly, I have the same problem as you - my hips are big, but the rest of my body is "in shape". Drop those jeans, pronto. Two words: cargo pants. Loose fitting cargo pants will straighten out your leg and the pockets will help even out the look of the hips. If you want to wear jeans, you will have to wear them "baggy" enough to make things look right that you will look like a gangster. I speak from experience on that one.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    underdonk wrote: »

Secondly, I have the same problem as you - my hips are big, but the rest of my body is "in shape". Drop those jeans, pronto. Two words: cargo pants. Loose fitting cargo pants will straighten out your leg and the pockets will help even out the look of the hips. If you want to wear jeans, you will have to wear them "baggy" enough to make things look right that you will look like a gangster. I speak from experience on that one.

I'm sorry but I am totally going to have to disagree. Cargo pants have gone the way of the dodo, in my opinion, and they really aren't all that flexible to wear. Denim can be so much more flexible and can compliment any outfit, even if you have to dress up just a smidge. Also, that baggy look is just cruise control for people who don't have that ideal body. This man has a pretty damn good body, just wide hips and that's not a problem not should be something to wear parachute pants to hide.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I'm sorry but I am totally going to have to disagree. Cargo pants have gone the way of the dodo, in my opinion, and they really aren't all that flexible to wear. Denim can be so much more flexible and can compliment any outfit, even if you have to dress up just a smidge. Also, that baggy look is just cruise control for people who don't have that ideal body. This man has a pretty damn good body, just wide hips and that's not a problem not should be something to wear parachute pants to hide.

Maybe so, but I find cargo pants to be much more versatile than jeans. Button down shirt, cargo pants, and decent shoes can pass in a business casual environment and let you hit the trails on the weekend. Do I sound like an L.L. Bean commercial? I think I sound like an L.L. Bean commercial. Anywho, I see plenty-o-folks wearing cargo pants around here, though I suppose I don't live in the most... progressive... community.

underdonk on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm sorry but I am totally going to have to disagree. Cargo pants have gone the way of the dodo, in my opinion, and they really aren't all that flexible to wear.

They're coming back for spring per my fashionable roommate.

Thank Christ.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

You are both right, cargo pants have gone the way of the dodo, but that cut of pants would fit you the best. Those are pretty much the worst jean cut you could be wearing, except for maybe skinny jeans. For the love of everything that is holy, please don't get skinny jeans. I'd suggest something more along the lines of a relaxed/boot cut fit. I don't know, price range considering, but these diesel boot cut might work just right. Or maybe, these flare cut jeans.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Here's the thing, I think the OP is wearing denim like these guys. They are high on the hip and really just have a plain, no BS kind of look that our dads might have worn back when jeans were just work pants.

Now if we change the fit and go with something like these 514s, the wash is dark enough to go with a dressier get up if need be, but can be pulled off casually with a pair of sneakers. Check out the 3rd preview picture and you will see by what I meant by "cleaning up the profile." They don't override the normal shape of the body and they don't sit up so high nor are skinny hipster tight either. If they are a bit tight on the OP at the waist, Levi's weaving on the jeans are fairly loose and they will give and fit like a glove in no time.

The OP doesn't have to buy these 514s either. Going to Khol's, outlet stores, or Macy's, I'm sure he can find a pair for $30 easy. I got my 4 pairs of 514s for $35 each save for one which I got on sale for $20.

EDIT: @Namless, Those two are wearing bell bottoms. Sorry but boot cuts are just how flared the ends are and wearing them with sneakers like one of those models is just putting together an awkward look. A very awkward look.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    yeah, I really think simply getting some more modern dark-wash jeans will seriously change your whole look

there's nothing that can be done for those jeans besides putting them out of their misery

your hips aren't that bad, don't be self-conscious about those -- you appear to have a pretty great ass, so don't be shy about trying on some tighter cuts. my favorite cut of dude jeans (especially on a beefier dude) is the kind that hugs a little tighter around the thighs and then gets looser-fitting around the calf. flares are weird though, don't go there.

and for the love of god do not wear cargo pants

go to a secondhand store, bring a girl, try stuff on

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Taking another look at the pics, to me it seems that part of TT's problem is that he's been doing too many squats, so his thighs are a little chunky. (Not a bad thing, obviously, but with those jeans, it's wrong, particularly as they seem to have that standard, tapering-towards-the-ankle fit.)

I'd suggest going for a loose-fit, straight-leg jean, darker colour too, or a bootcut. Trouble with a lot of bootcuts, though, is the thighs often fit a little snugly, so trying on beforehand is a must.

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dad jeans to cargo shorts to flares. We are through the looking glass here people.

OP, the jeans are terrible and cant be fixed. The 514s that someone posted before would be an excellent replacement. If you are literally too poor to buy new clothes then I guess you are out of luck for the moment.

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you shop around you can pick up some pretty decent bits and bobs in charity shops.

I find women (generally) to be much better at judging what looks good on me. Except my fianceé, she's hopeless. I just take some female friends out shopping (well, they take me). Usually we end up in the major stores first and then they move on to the charity stuff. They LOVE charity stores and we usually drag out something decent that costs under a fiver.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What should i do?

comp1d.jpg

teejo.jpg

comp2c.jpg

comp3h.jpg

tracertong on
  • Options
    DachshundDachshund Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What you should do, Doctor Turk, is keep being rad.

Oh and also to do what other people have suggested and get more fitted clothes. Your shirts and stuff are too big (shoulder seam hanging down the shoulder is an indication of shirt being too large).

Dachshund on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    jeans are a vast improvement! but yeah, you are blessed with a torso that begs to be shown off -- buy/alter things a size smaller.

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, baggy shirts aren't doing you any favors.
    Get them a size smaller and the ladies (or dudes... or both!) will be droolin'
    8-)

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    neville wrote: »
    8-)

These are all medium shirts/jackets/sweatshirts in case you thought i was wearing a large.

I am 5 foot 10 and this past week weighed in from 183 to 190 pounds depending on water, single digit bodyfat with a full 6 pack

I guess I will look into small shirts though, lol 8-)

tracertong on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tracer, get some clothes that fit for fucks sake. I know it's been said above, but it really can't be repeated enough.

:)

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That sweater is way too big.

Don't be afraid to wear 'tight' fitting clothes. Seriously, I have a lot more body fat and I wear 'tight' fitting clothes. Of course, by 'tight' I mean 'fitted' as in the clothes should be fitted on you instead of draped on you. Seriously, give smaller clothes a try.

As for the jeans, those first set didn't work for you. The second set is a step forward, but still too big. It looks like your quads are giving your a problem, and I have that same problem. Basically I fixed that problem by wearing Levi Silvertab baggy. Basically you need to try on every single pair of jean out there and see what fits and what doesn't. It takes me ages to find a good fitting pair of jeans.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    @TT: those darker jeans are much improved.

One thing i hate about buying sweaters, shirts, suit jackets and the like, is that they all appear to be uniformly made for someone who is carrying a little more around the midsection than they should. I'm slim, and have decent shoulders, but whenever i buy tops that fit around the shoulders, they still bell out around my waist. Annoying, so i have to keep the eyes open for slimmer fit stuff.

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OP, you didn't, by chance, lose a lot of weight at some point in your life, did you?

underdonk on
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you are trying to look like this guy vin-diesel.jpg, you will need money to buy clothing.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    man you got hella hips

Raneados on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    tracertong wrote: »
    8-)

These are all medium shirts/jackets/sweatshirts in case you thought i was wearing a large.

I am 5 foot 10 and this past week weighed in from 183 to 190 pounds depending on water, single digit bodyfat with a full 6 pack

You may not have to go down to Small size (although you may for some brands/stores) but try to look for "fitted" or slim cut or European cut shirts in Medium as well.

LaOs on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I've found that Work 'N Gear has some pretty well priced jeans.

You probably shouldn't wear shirts with that kind of neck, as is makes you look like a neurosci case study.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    2and2is52and2is5 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    LaOs wrote: »
    tracertong wrote: »
    8-)

You may not have to go down to Small size (although you may for some brands/stores) but try to look for "fitted" or slim cut or European cut shirts in Medium as well.

Do this. Smalls will likely be too small.

I'm about 5'10" and only 150 - 155 and smalls can be tight on me.

Clothes, especially dress shirts, that say "fitted" usually make a world of difference in the fashion department. Non-fitted stuff almost always looks ridiculous.

2and2is5 on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh, and Costco. They always have brand names ridiculously cheap, and without slapping a brand name onto what is essentially a bad counterfeit like Walmart does.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Looking at those pictures again, I kinda want to take up a collection. I think it's the poor fitting clothes combined with the vaguely sad eyes.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have a similar body type(a little taller/thinner) and I agree with what the other guy said- I tend to wear looser pant legs since my hips are a little wider than the rest of my body.

Jars on