Options

Couple of Quick Ipod Questions

Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Me and the wife are buying Ipods. She's either getting a Nano or a Shuffle. I'm pretty much definately getting a Shuffle. I was playing around with iTunes today in preparation with a few questions.

We will use my Desktop as the main iTunes machine for both ipods. Is there any issue sharing the copy of iTunes between the two players, I assume you don't need to set up two different users or anything like that?

Also, what is the actual usable memory available on one, how much of that 1gig do I lose to system crap?

Lindsay Lohan on

• Options
    Lew ZealandLew Zealand Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Multiple iPods can use the same iTunes but you can't have separate libraries so auto-syncing your ipod is out of the question. That sucks if, like me, you have a wife with sometimes questionable music taste. I've heard something about just using separate playlists but haven't really looked into it. That might be an option.

I have a 4 gig nano and it uses maybe .2 gig for firmware and such. I think it would be much less for a shuffle since there isn't much to the thing.

Lew Zealand on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You will also lose some space, because when they say "1 Gig" they actually mean 1,000,000 bytes. This is actually only 0.93 Gigabytes.

So, between that, and the system software, I'd guess you will have a bit over 900MB left (probably 920MB or so).

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey, sort of a related question, how are the games for Ipods? Is it worth the hassle to try and throw that ipod linux on my nano to play doom?

Sceptre on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dunno about the unofficial gaming, but only the latest iPods (the 5/5.5 gen) can play the games that you can buy off iTunes.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Multiple iPods can use the same iTunes but you can't have separate libraries so auto-syncing your ipod is out of the question. That sucks if, like me, you have a wife with sometimes questionable music taste. I've heard something about just using separate playlists but haven't really looked into it. That might be an option.

I have a 4 gig nano and it uses maybe .2 gig for firmware and such. I think it would be much less for a shuffle since there isn't much to the thing.
    I sync my shuffle with just a playlist and, while I don't have another iPod to test this with, I see no reason why another iPod can't sync with another playlist. Then again, I don't see why auto-syncing multiple iPods to one library is out of the question so maybe I'm missing something. Can each library only sync with one iPod?

fogeyman on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    What exactly does it mean to "sync" an iPod? I mean, my iTunes already has like 28gigs of music in it, I just want to be able to plug in my shuffle and throw music on it.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Syncing is making the music on your iTunes match the music on your iPod.

This can be done through playlists so you shouldn't have problems running multiple iPods one 1 iTunes as they should be able to sync to independent specific play lists. That's all configured in iTunes.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    CripTonic wrote:
    Syncing is making the music on your iTunes match the music on your iPod.

This can be done through playlists so you shouldn't have problems running multiple iPods one 1 iTunes as they should be able to sync to independent specific play lists. That's all configured in iTunes.

So - let's say I make a playlist called "Nate's Sweet Music to Make Love to the Ladies By" containing all my favorite songs. I can then tell iTunes to sync my Shuffle to that playlist so that when I plug it into the dock it automatically looks at what is in the playlist versus what's on the Shuffle and move/replace stuff on the Shuffle to reflect the changes I made in iTunes?

I keep hearing about syncing being a quick ticket to a complete accidental delete of my library, is that true somehow?

Lindsay Lohan on